What's new

The O.L.C. (One Library Challenge)

mybadmemory

Following a discussion with @Taron and @doctoremmet, here is the O.L.C. (One Library Challenge). It's not a competition by any means, but rather just a way to challenge yourself with a limited palette and encourage deep exploration of things you might already own.

The rules are simple:
* Use only one library per track.
* Clearly state what library you're using.
* Original compositions or mockups are welcome.
* The intention is to keep it primarily orchestral (or at least acoustic).
* Library collections (like Cinematic Studio Series etc) do not count as one library.

I'll kick it off with my latest two tracks here, both using BBC Symphony Orchestra Pro. :)

Last edited:
BIKE is a song I worked on today unaware of the OLC. I am considering my exploration of my IK freebies applies here.

B.I.K.E.:

B for Beethoven-inspired by his Symphony No. 7 mvt 3: a presto romp in 3
IK = IK Multimedia freebies* used to create this puppy
E for the enigmatic scales cycling through this song

2 Syntronic patches modded thru Dimebag Darrell's Medicine Clean preset
MODO Bass
Neil Peart Drums
IK Philharmonic percussion, brass + winds
fx: SSSR, Stealth Limiter, Master Match, Tape Machine-80, Master EQ-432.

BTW at start of song is a gated bass with noise to simulate a snare.

May I present to you my short BIKE ride.

Attachments

• B.I.K.E.-001.mp3
    943.3 KB
Fantastic Kick-Off track, @mybadmemory !:dancer:

Now I have to figure out, which track I might post, but I'm thinking about making something fresh for it. Also, as a reminder, this goes also for any free library like BBCSO Discover, Project SAM Free Orchestra and whatever else fits the bill, so don't hold back, if you want to showcase those! Expect at least one or two Discover tracks from me! :cool:

(EDIT: Softening the "blow" a little bit)
@b_elliott what a wicked little track this is! Funny, wild and original! :grin:

But this is going sideways quickly, dear lordy... @b_elliott : What part of "One Library Challenge" would explain your contribution there? I think, we have to revise the thread disclaimer...o_O

Maybe you're looking for this challenge thread:
(That's something I definitely also want to participate in eventually, just have to find the time!)

Any entire composition/production has to be made by using one single sample library only. That's the idea at least. And somehow I felt like it should go "One Orchestral Library Challenge", because I'm not aware of any other genre that has one entire library devoted to it?! But that might be neat, too, I don't know.

Last edited:
* And no, library collections are not allowed.
Does Kontakt Factory Library count as one library or as a collection?

And somehow I felt like it should go "One Orchestral Library Challenge", because I'm not aware of any other genre that has one entire library devoted to it?! But that might be neat, too, I don't know.
I could think of a couple non orchestral libraries where you could make a good track with just one library. Like those hybrid/cinematic libraries or the medieval ones. Or maybe I misunderstood.

The main thing I love about the original OSC and it's raison d'être is the limitation aspect of it, most of the synths chosen were free open source or beta versions of future commercial products (which never really mattered in Taron's case since he can make a Kazoo sound like a orchestra). Not to say Jonas' track isn't wonderful, it is, however, I'm not sure limiting yourself to an entire $1,000 symphony orchestra with infinite mic positions is quite the same concept.

Does Kontakt Factory Library count as one library or as a collection?

I could think of a couple non orchestral libraries where you could make a good track with just one library. Like those hybrid/cinematic libraries or the medieval ones. Or maybe I misunderstood.
Kontakt Factory Library I would probably consider excluding for some reason, because it's not a bundle, you know. Should be something that is one contained set such as BBCSO or Audio Imperia's Nucleus or Jaeger, or Metropolis Ark (but only one of them per track, not all 4 in one, you know). But if there are any medieval libraries or even heavy metal, as long as it is one self-contained set and not individual instruments, if you know what I mean, then it should be perfect.

We are thinking about making a Collections thread, too, but this one is not for that. The point is to showcase the power of one single library in the hand of musicians, showing what's possible with something like a single purchase or even a free one of that kind. It's meant to encourage you also to explore them deeply as you make music with them. Too often we miss what we actually have at our fingertips, because of too many different options. Like we don't see the forest for the trees, so to say, or what's that saying.

Now I want to find a medieval library!!! :geek:
There's a hilarious one for Western tracks from Fluffy Audio, which I may wish to feature at some point, too. But it's really a riot! :laugh:

Kontakt Factory Library I would probably consider excluding for some reason, because it's not a bundle, you know. Should be something that is one contained set such as BBCSO or Audio Imperia's Nucleus or Jaeger, or Metropolis Ark (but only one of them per track, not all 4 in one, you know). But if there are any medieval libraries or even heavy metal, as long as it is one self-contained set and not individual instruments, if you know what I mean, then it should be perfect.

We are thinking about making a Collections thread, too, but this one is not for that. The point is to showcase the power of one single library in the hand of musicians, showing what's possible with something like a single purchase or even a free one of that kind. It's meant to encourage you also to explore them deeply as you make music with them. Too often we miss what we actually have at our fingertips, because of too many different options. Like we don't see the forest for the trees, so to say, or what's that saying.

Now I want to find a medieval library!!! :geek:
There's a hilarious one for Western tracks from Fluffy Audio, which I may wish to feature at some point, too. But it's really a riot! :laugh:
The orchestral sections should probably count. But i'm guessing not many would choose it :D
But I have no full orchestral libraries, so most appealing option for me

I'd like to propose Enosifying this project by constraining it to free or beta releases, which would level the playing field (not everyone can afford full blown Spitfire libs) and might encourage devs to offer prizes ala the OSC. Otherwise it could quickly become overwhelming and totally out of hand. How can you compare something produced with BBCSO Pro with HALion Symphic Orchestra for example?
As one of those affected by that, I'm okay with it.
If anything, i'm guessing most people would consider their vote fairly on the selected tool the creator had available.
Not sure there's a vote though?

You should totally start that challenge though :)

BIKE is a song I worked on today unaware of the OLC. I am considering my exploration of my IK freebies applies here.

B.I.K.E.:

B for Beethoven-inspired by his Symphony No. 7 mvt 3: a presto romp in 3
IK = IK Multimedia freebies* used to create this puppy
E for the enigmatic scales cycling through this song

2 Syntronic patches modded thru Dimebag Darrell's Medicine Clean preset
MODO Bass
Neil Peart Drums
IK Philharmonic percussion, brass + winds
fx: SSSR, Stealth Limiter, Master Match, Tape Machine-80, Master EQ-432.

BTW at start of song is a gated bass with noise to simulate a snare.

May I present to you my short BIKE ride.

Dear God,
I Hate Myself...
Anyway! Really cool track @b_elliott. I like the frantic atonal/percussive stuff. Reminds me of long angsty walks blasting Xiu Xiu on my iPod back in the day- keep it up!

:) :) :)

Alrighty... brainstorming should've probably lasted a bit longer, if only to clarify properly what this is about, because it is GREAT! :dancer:

• This is NOT a freebie challenge, but it may include them!
• This is not about challenging each other for some title! That's called "Competition"
• This is to challenge yourself, making music with one single library of yours only!
• The result is meant to show your musical ingenuity, joy and the library you present
• Side effect may be that this could become a fantastic collection of library showcases in all tiers

While I will focus on showing free libraries, I occasional get my hands on a commercial library and this is a brilliant opportunity for me to having to explore it carefully and see what it does best and what I do best with it.

Let's make this one big GEM of a thread and a celebration of what's possible with one set!

Well this was actually made for the Linux Musicians forum challenge a few weeks ago, but it fits the criteria I think. I didn't use any libraries, it's made entirely with Odin 2 wavetable synths.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwntrrimymyr0ml/Nebula.ogg?dl=0

Well this was actually made for the Linux Musicians forum challenge a few weeks ago, but it fits the criteria I think. I didn't use any libraries, it's made entirely with Odin 2 wavetable synths.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwntrrimymyr0ml/Nebula.ogg?dl=0
Nice track David! Odin 2 is great.

Okay, just to have at least one more track in there that's along the lines of what this is about, I actually just now made this exploration of ProjectSAM's Free Orchestra. It's the first time I'm giving it a fair shake and it's pretty darn amazing. This is just a wild set of experiments as I went through the sounds:

Anyone, who doesn't know ProjectSAM and/or their Free Orchestra (like me a few weeks ago):

I'm so afraid, I'm one of the few people left, who hadn't heard of it until recently. But I'm super late to the game anyway.

This is a great challenge, both for creativity and your (my) own anxiety for publishing something you create online. I'm glad most here are very supportive and critique is fair and a learning experience. I have an idea for this challenge and hope I can join.

I guess I could have been more clear from the beginning. :) As Taron already said, this was not meant to be a competition, but rather just to challenge yourself with a limited palette and encourage deep exploration of things you might already own. We intended for it to be orchestral primarily, and probably mostly using self contained all-one-packages like BBCSO, Nucleus, Inspire, Albion, Metropolis Arc, etc. This would of course also include completely free packages like Discover and The Free Orchestra, but not collections based on separate products like Cinematic Studio Series or Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra (though if you wanted to do a strings only track using CSS that would be totally fine of course).

It would be somewhat similar to the old thread where we compared libraries using the same song, but to make it more musically interesting... NOT use the same song. Haha. But rather encourage people to actually focus on the music and compose (or mockup for that matter), rather than just on the library sound. Seeing that some people would rather prefer a more open scope (library collections) and others an even more limited one (free stuff only), I'm sure this place can handle two more threads, so go right ahead and create those if you want to! Now I’d love to hear some more Discover from @Taron, some Nucleus from @Trash Panda and some HOOPUS or AROOF from @José Herring! :D

Top Bottom