What's new

The Dawesome Thread - Abyss, Novum, Kult, Love discussion. New synth - Myth (April 18!)

How exactly is it more synchronous than a forum? Aside from encouraging people to treat it more like a chat room, and being able to host video chats?...

It does seem like something out of the early internet that most people abandoned because it was too chaotic which has now been made exponentially more chaotic... not that chaos is necessarily bad of course (especially if it's organized in attractive ways...).
If it isn’t your cup of tea, no worries at all. That’s why VI-C exists. 🙂

Peter wanted something special for people and there is a lot less technical debt by leveraging existing technology. From a dev standpoint, it’s a solid way to get goodies to folks and to eventually supplement tech support. Threads in channels can be used to extend discussions that anyone can go back and reference. This will be super helpful when MYTH is released, for example.

When someone had an issue with Chop Suey they got helped immediately. No email runaround and wait for others that aren’t available on the weekend. This was fairly synchronous.

Last edited:
I might end up liking it eventually, and I'll probably be motivated to use it extensively at some point, but I don't see the appeal of it for users (as opposed to developers or group organizers)....
If it helps, even I managed to use it without difficulty in the past. I am now weirdly afraid of going back there; but that is for reasons completely unrelated to Discord and much more related to tabletop roleplaying games. But maybe it helped that I'm both very unfamiliar with social media and much more used to awful public sector computer systems.

How exactly is it more synchronous than a forum? Aside from encouraging people to treat it more like a chat room, and being able to host video chats?...

It does seem like something out of the early internet that most people abandoned because it was too chaotic which has now been made exponentially more chaotic... not that chaos is necessarily bad of course (especially if it's organized in attractive ways...).

Keep in mind Discord was initially conceived by and for gamers.

From the Discord today:

"The final date is not yet confirmed with tracktion but I now have made a plan towards a release in the last week of march. I have not yet been thinking about the price.

It will be a subscription-only model.

👀

🤣

Haha, just kidding."

So that would probably be right after Tracktion's St Patrick's Day sale, if they have one again this year and the dates are similar (last year was 40% off from March 17 to 19; they didn't have one in 2022 though they did have one in 2021, so there might not even be one...).

As a musician I would not like to rent my bassoon or have "bassoon subscription". An instrument is something you spend a lot of time with, you develop a very deep and personal relationship. There are days where I hate my instrument. There are days where it feels like falling again in love again with my instrument. It's an integral part of my life, and I would also not exchange my wonderful bassoon against a different model.

I am doing my best to design instruments that - albeit software - allow you to develop this kind of deep connection. I don't see them as tools that you "program", I see them as instruments you play.

Or in short: imho subscriptions for music instruments suck.

"The situation is the following: everything regarding the development of MYTH is in plan, so MYTH is almost ready for launch and definitely will be on March 23rd. But one of Tracktion's own product releases had been delayed - and this may now take the release spot of March 23rd. In this case the release of MYTH will be delayed, so that they can launch their own product
🤷🏻‍♂️
"

Top Bottom