What's new

The Best Spitfire Originals Piano

Which is the best or your personal favorite Spitfire Originals Piano?

• Jangle Box Piano

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Mrs. Mills Piano

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • Firewood Piano

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Cinematic Soft Piano

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • Felt Piano

Votes: 44 36.1%
  • Paul's Yamaha from the Media Toolkit

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Double Felt and Taped Pianos from The Pool Project

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

TomaeusD

In Space
Spitfire is having a (broken link removed) where you get a $10 gift card when you buy a $29 library until March 31st, and I wanted to see what the consensus is on these pianos. I am trying to decide on where to start and it would be good to have some discussion strictly on the Originals pianos.

Which do you think is the most versatile? Best dynamics? Most playable and natural sounding? Most fitting for a particular genre?

Your one vote should go towards whichever is the overall best in your opinion, or whichever is your personal favorite to use.

I really like the Jangle Box. The standard upright patch is the most versatile of those listed here I think, though I don't know the details of Paul's Yamaha. Anyway it's not felted and I believe has 8 dynamics. It's a nice warm sound with interesting mic options. Plus the hammer version, which can masquerade as a quasi-harpsichord/dulcimer type thing.

It's definitely still a "character" piano though, with more and less effective registers, and is not as snappy to play as some more pristine libraries.

They're all pretty unique. I just bought the Jangle Box for the $10 gift card - I have Mrs. Mills, Soft Piano, and Felt Piano as well. I feel Jangle Box and Mrs. Mills are the most unique while the Felt Piano is a good staple to have (I don't like the Soft Piano as much as the Felt Piano).

I only have Cinematic Soft Piano and Felt Piano for the time being, as I have plenty of piano libraries from various other sources. I prefer the latter one tone-wise as CSP has a somewhat noisy attack, but I also like its background layer and the fact it's recorded at AIR Studios like most of the SA libraries that I own.

Although I don't have it, Firewood Piano seems to be the most versatile one to me as it offers both normal and felted versions, has an interesting character that could still sound good in several different styles, and also has these gorgeous background layers that blend seamlessly with the principal sound. I don't know the exact specs, but I've read some comments about how this library doesn't have as many dynamic layers as some others from the series. But I would certainly give it serious consideration nonetheless, especially if you do not already have too many different piano libraries to choose from.

I honestly don't get why developers go for these, as I call them 'crippled' pianos with so few dyn layers. Give us one mic but record at least 10 layers. Heck, they can even introduce a $49 Originals line and sell deeper sampled instruments. It's a shame though cause this piano sounds lovely.
I know. It's so disappointing because the instrument sounds nice, but 3 layers is just not enough.

I am not sure to understand the criticism.
Yes it has only 3 layers however everyone is saying "it's sounds nice". That's enough for me.
You are definitely not going to use this piano to record a Chopin Nocturne.
But you can use it in many different contexts and that's really the reason for it. And for just €29.

Yes I know there are wonderful free pianos out there, still...

I am not sure to understand the criticism.
Yes it has only 3 layers however everyone is saying "it's sounds nice". That's enough for me.
You are definitely not going to use this piano to record a Chopin Nocturne.
But you can use it in many different contexts and that's really the reason for it. And for just €29.

Yes I know there are wonderful free pianos out there, still...
And why not have more layers for all those 'other' situations and contexts? Even if I'm writing super simple lines I'd still want to have an instrument that I can properly control dynamically.

I have three of these pianos (Felt Piano, Jangle Box, Mrs. Mills), which are all speciality pianos IMO. The most evenly sampled and overall most playable for me is Mrs. Mills, but the other ones are still quite good and have a great tone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom