What's new

The Adventures of Creating a Choir Library - April 26, 2024 Update - Wait ... we've spent HOW MUCH???

@Mike Greene

This looks and sounds really nice!
I have one question, during the interview (I couldn’t hear exactly what the person interviewing you asked)was he saying Bulgarian or Vulgarian?
If it’s Vulgarian choir samples,count me in! 👍

Last edited:
@Mike Greene any chance you might consider adding poly legato to sunset strings now that you have gotten your hands dirty with poly legato for the sunset choir? 🤞😇
That would make it a very worthy competitor to LASS (as I similarly imagine sunset choir will be a worthy competitor with Eternity Choir). And don't get me wrong - I know that this is not attempting to be a "bread and butter" library, but rather something to add incredible texture. But still, having poly legato would have been tremendously usable to an already amazing library.

Sounds absolutely gorgeous btw!

Last edited:
@Mike Greene any chance you might consider adding poly legato to sunset strings now that you have gotten your hands dirty with poly legato for the sunset choir? 🤞😇
Consider? Sure! Actually do it? Uhhhhh ... ;)

I'd like to do this, because I agree it would be very cool to have. A big problem, though, is that unlike the choir, where we recorded slow legatos in intervals up to an octave in each direction, with the strings, we only recorded minor second and major second intervals, so the legato would have a very narrow range. We might be able to extend it somewhat with Melodyne, but the maximum we'd get from that would probably be a major third at most. So it would probably be an unsatisfying legato.

@Mike Greene If Ocean Way/United Recording is closed maybe you could buy it????
Just a teeeensy bit out of my price range. :grin: (I'm the guy who orders from the Dollar Menu at McDonalds!)

I did learn at NAMM, though, that you actually can still book sessions there, although it includes no staff at all, so there are some hoops you have to jump through to get approved. I don't have anything in mind to record, mind you, but it's good to know.

Wait a minute ... going back to Peter's question, maybe it would be worth recording another day of strings, so we could get a full octave of intervals, as well as maybe some other stuff. Then again, that would be almost $20k for a day, plus a whole lot of hours editing, so I'm not sure it would make financial sense, since it's not an update we could charge for. (Sunset Strings is hosted on Native Access, so everybody gets the newest version, whether they pay an upgrade fee or not. Unless we buy a whole new set of serial numbers.) It's an interesting thought, though.

Sunset Strings is hosted on Native Access, so everybody gets the newest version, whether they pay an upgrade fee or not. Unless we buy a whole new set of serial numbers.
I've no skin in the game, at least yet, but given that NI appear to be giving away serial numbers for K7 exclusives, perhaps it's worth while seeing if you can balance the costs of a poly legato capable SS2 with a guarantee of a certain number of free serials when it's ready.
If it were a library I owned, I'd accept it as a paid upgrade, and as a library I don't own, it would increase my desire for it. I've no idea how you'd scale the pricing, but if I were you, and if you haven't already, I'd be asking NI the question.

I've no skin in the game, at least yet, but given that NI appear to be giving away serial numbers for K7 exclusives, perhaps it's worth while seeing if you can balance the costs of a poly legato capable SS2 with a guarantee of a certain number of free serials when it's ready.
If it were a library I owned, I'd accept it as a paid upgrade, and as a library I don't own, it would increase my desire for it. I've no idea how you'd scale the pricing, but if I were you, and if you haven't already, I'd be asking NI the question.
I thought they were only giving away serials for free K7 libraries.

Consider? Sure! Actually do it? Uhhhhh ... ;)

I'd like to do this, because I agree it would be very cool to have. A big problem, though, is that unlike the choir, where we recorded slow legatos in intervals up to an octave in each direction, with the strings, we only recorded minor second and major second intervals, so the legato would have a very narrow range. We might be able to extend it somewhat with Melodyne, but the maximum we'd get from that would probably be a major third at most. So it would probably be an unsatisfying legato.

Just a teeeensy bit out of my price range. :grin: (I'm the guy who orders from the Dollar Menu at McDonalds!)

I did learn at NAMM, though, that you actually can still book sessions there, although it includes no staff at all, so there are some hoops you have to jump through to get approved. I don't have anything in mind to record, mind you, but it's good to know.

Wait a minute ... going back to Peter's question, maybe it would be worth recording another day of strings, so we could get a full octave of intervals, as well as maybe some other stuff. Then again, that would be almost $20k for a day, plus a whole lot of hours editing, so I'm not sure it would make financial sense, since it's not an update we could charge for. (Sunset Strings is hosted on Native Access, so everybody gets the newest version, whether they pay an upgrade fee or not. Unless we buy a whole new set of serial numbers.) It's an interesting thought, though.
Thanks for the thorough reply! Poly legato itself is such a rare feature, that if this would be added, it would tip me over into a customer - so I guess it could make financial sense in that you might get some customers that otherwise would have been on the fence. But I agree that is a missed opportunity that NI does not allow for a walled upgrade that is only unlocked upon purchase/payment.

@Mike Greene If Ocean Way/United Recording is closed maybe you could buy it????
I think their neighbour (at 6000 Sunset Boulevard) would be interested in buying it. That way, he will have a place to store all his awards.

img_namm-tec-award-2019.jpg

I've been on the fence for Realitone libraries for awhile, simply because the sounds I heard in videos didn't generally match the sound palettes I had to work with. (Great products at a good price, just not good fits for my projects.)

That choir, though. Man. That's going to be a definite "must purchase" later this year, Black Friday or not...(Nightfall is similarly excellent.)

isn't that EW, and aren't they in a former commercial studio already? I believe that Bill Putnam built both facilities, although that could be folklore, and I'm to lazy to look it up. Regardless they are both first class studios. What a history!

Top Bottom