What's new

The Adventures of Creating a Choir Library - April 26, 2024 Update - Wait ... we've spent HOW MUCH???

Mike Greene

EDIT - Links to update posts:
Post for Week 2 ::: Oct 27, 2022 -Preparation for the Sessions
Post for Week 3 ::: Nov 7, 2022 - Choir Recorded - with pix and sound
Post for Week 10 ::: Dec 20, 2022 - Editing Begins
Post for Week 18 ::: March 8, 2023 - Back at United for session #2
Post for Week 24 ::: April 18, 2023 - Post-NAMM Report
Post for Week 62 ::: January 8, 2024 - Why, Oh Why Did We Do Legatos???
Post for Week 76 ::: April 25, 2024 - Wait ... we've spent HOW MUCH???
--------------------------------------------

Have you ever wondered what the process of creating a sample library is like? Have you ever wished a long-winded, self-indulgent egomaniac would explain that process? Then you’re in luck!

We’re in the early stages (recording starts in two weeks) of making a choir version of Sunset Strings. People often ask how much it costs to make a library, or why developers make the choices they do, so I thought it might be interesting to post a thread where I post in real time about what’s happening at various stages.

For the cynics out there, this is not intended to be an ultra-long teaser, and I promise not to fill this with a bunch of “OMG! This is sounding so amazing!” hype. That would be boring. Plus a year-long teaser isn’t going to fool anyone, since once we release it, you’ll actually hear it, so no amount of pre-release hype is going to fool you into thinking it’s better than it is.

Instead, this is all about me loving to talk about this stuff. Realitone is like a third career for me. (Records, then TV, then this.) So it’s all new and fun as I learn the various aspects. Even learning about marketing is fun, because it’s a new challenge. Of course, not everyone wants to hear my ramblings (as I’ve learned when I watch people run away from me at NAMM), but the thread title and these opening paragraphs should serve as fair warning for my self-indulgence.

Posting will be infrequent, maybe every month or two. I’ll try to post about internal discussions where we make conceptual decisions, or maybe even some in-progress examples.

For now, we’re calling this project Sunset Choirs, but I don’t actually know what it will be in the end. For perspective, Sunset Strings is waaayyy different from what we planned it to be, and part of the fun was letting it take us where it wanted to go. So who knows where this choir project will lead us.

With that said, we do have a plan. The Sunset Strings template is already in place and at our disposal, so if we can record similar things in a choir context, then this should be pretty easy. Although … I always think each project is going to be pretty easy, and I have yet to be right in that assessment, so I’m guessing this will be an interesting ride.

Let me start by explaining why we’re doing a choir library, starting with the backstory leading up to it:

SUNSET STRINGS

This was more successful than I expected, so the obvious thought was “Let’s do more of those!” With Covid, though, recording more orchestral material was impossible, so we decided to do a few bonus patches for Sunset Strings, which we could all do from home. As often happens, though, that got way out of control and we wound up with Nightfall.

You’ll notice I keep saying “we.” Jayden and Vincent have been working with me on this stuff since Sunset Strings. They’re both real composers, while I’m more of a songwriter who buys a lot of sample libraries and took a couple “How to Write Good for Orchestra” courses at UCLA Extention.

The sounds in Nightfall are mostly Vincent and Jayden, because they’re the experts in this stuff. Even Sunset Strings was not totally in my wheelhouse. Don’t get me wrong, I have lots of string libraries and I’ve written my share of orchestral cues. But “Ricochets” or even “Sul Tasto” were not terms I'd typically use. That was all Jayden and Vincent, as well as another guy named Mike, who also had a huge hand in the conceptualizing and creation of Sunset.

The 2-Layer system, the Repetitions concept, and making attacks and releases link to the sustains? That’s me. Figuring out what the string section should actually play? That’s Jayden, Vincent and Mike.

NIGHTFALL - FINALLY FINISHED!

Nightfall was supposed to just take a couple weeks, but it took over a year, as we kept getting more and more ideas and decided to make an actual instrument out of it. We finally finished it a couple weeks ago. (We added more stuff after the pre-release.) We sent it to NI for encoding, so we started talking about what to do next.

Now, I have a whole bunch of libraries (Realivox Men, Mandolin, Latin Percussion, Archtop, Organs, Mini Moog, etc.) in various stages of completion, but those are more along the lines of the pop products I did before Sunset Strings. They’re fun for me, but Jayden and Vincent are more serious composers than I am, and given that Sunset sold insanely well (and Nightfall ain’t doin’ so bad, either) I don’t want to turn off that valve for the sake of a ukulele I’ll be lucky to sell for $49.

My theory is that composers will spend hundreds on an orchestral product without batting an eye. (I mean … have you ever visited VI-Control?
:grin:
) But the pop customer base is really tight with a dollar. Don’t get me wrong, the songwriter crowd will buy stuff. In fact, our all-time best money-maker is Realivox Ladies, not Sunset. (Mind you, it’s been out for 10 years, compared to two years for Sunset.) Sunset isn’t even in second place. That would be Blue. So there’s a strong market for the pop libraries.

But strings is easier. Plus ... less tech support! Everybody here knows what a rar file is, and how Kontakt works, and how to enter a serial number on Native Access. So compare that to the people buying Hip Hop Creator? Fuggetaboutit.

SO … WHAT LIBRARY TO DO NEXT?

Jayden and Vincent wanted to do a string quintet, or maybe even a full strings library. We settled on a string quintet, where we’d record each of the five pieces separately. Essentially five solo instruments in one package, but all recorded in the same room for a cohesive sound. Doing the math, that’s going to entail a massive number of days, and studio time at United is expensive, and needs to be booked in advance, so we need an accurate idea beforehand of how many days to book.

That’s important, because you can’t simply tack on extra days. (Someone else already reserved days after us.) And if you come back a month later, can you be sure all the mics will be in exactly the same position? Even with measurements and pictures, I don’t trust that, so I’m a fanatic for consecutive lockout days. Nothing moves, nobody touches the console, and there’s tape on the floor marking exactly where each chair should be. If we record a sustain on Day 1, everybody’s position needs to match perfectly with a sustain we record on Day 5. (With all due respect to some other libraries out there, I don’t want the stereo imaging bouncing around from note to note.)

So I decided to do a couple test days. Record a violin in the morning and a cello in the afternoon. Take those recordings and start editing the legatos and transitions to see exactly what we can get away with and determine how many days a final product will take to record.

It’s basically a 10 or 15 thousand dollar experiment. Better to invest that now, because the real thing will cost a whole lot more, and we don’t want nasty surprises.

Costs would obviously be much lower if we used my studio (free!), but my studio is a pop studio, where Studio A only has a 20’x18’ live room. United Studio A has a much larger room and better acoustics, which makes a huge difference for this sort of thing. So in the grand scheme of things, IMO the expense is worth it.

A LITTLE ASIDE ON UPFRONT COSTS

This is a good time to mention that you don’t want to focus too much on upfront costs. It’s important, of course, but the bigger question is how many copies will you be able to sell? More to the point, will spending a little more upfront increase those sales numbers later? Ideally we get to the point where we’re selling so many copies that it doesn’t matter how much we spent upfront. That’s the case with Sunset, and I’m soooo glad we didn’t go the cheap route.

Continued in next post...

Last edited:
Continued from previous post.

OKAY, LETS BOOK THE TEST SESSIONS

So I asked our contractor to check studio availability. She got back to me and said I could have any day during the first week of November. That’s way sooner than I expected, which is great! But wait a minute … any day that week? So the whole week is available? This is clearly a sign from God, right? Because United Studio A is really hard to get into, and I was expecting January or February.

This got me thinking. Back when I figured out “Repetitions” for strings (here’s a video cued to the Repetitions explanation) I kept thinking the same concept could work great with vocals. A bunch of singers doing little detune effects, or random “doo” pops over a vocal sustain? It would be pure gold, right?

Choirs are a tougher sell than strings, mind you, but this idea has been in my head for two years now. And when you get right down to it, vocals are much more my thing than strings. And the more I thought about recording a string quintet, the more it was starting to look like another of those sessions where I’m asking, “Wait ... is that a viola or a violin?”

So I started thinking maybe I should take all five days … and do that choir thing I’ve been secretly wanting to do! The more I thought about it, the happier I got. Like I didn’t even realize until now that this is where my heart really is. Don’t get me wrong, I love strings as much as the next guy. (And don’t tell anyone, but I do know the difference between a viola and a violin.) But vocals are what made me want to start Realitone in the first place.

So I broke the news to Jayden and Vincent and luckily, they’re excited about this, too. We have a whole bunch of ideas, but … hold on … how much is this going to cost???

WON’T FIVE 12-HOUR LOCKOUT DAYS BE EXPENSIVE???

See, now you’re thinking like a developer! All in (studio, engineer, 20 singers, contractor, and incidentals), this will cost around $100k for the week. Now, remember when I said a while back not to put too much emphasis on upfront costs? Well, that was before I knew this was gonna cost a hundred grand!

And don’t forget, there are the post-production costs of editing and coding and NI encoding and all that other stuff, which is plenty significant, too. Let’s call it another hundred grand. $200k total.

So now I have to ask myself - Will a choir library in the mold of Sunset Strings recoup? Tough question, and I’ve been so wrong about a couple libraries in the past. If Screaming Trumpet flops (which it did), then it’s not that big a deal because I didn’t spend that much time or money on it.

But for this amount of money? I need to be pretty sure.

So here’s the thought process: Assuming we price Sunset Choirs the same as Sunset Strings (lists at $299), and assuming the majority (probably 90%) of sales are at the $199 sale price, then I need to sell 1,000 copies to make $200k, which would be a ballpark break-even point.

That’s not factoring in my own time, though, which in all candor, I place a high value on. Not to sound greedy, but if I'm being real, after recouping, I’m going to want to sell an additional 1,000 copies to be happy about this. Bear in mind, I'm not in the Break Even business, I'm in the Mike Makin' Greene business. :grin:

So … can it sell 2,000 copies? I really don’t know. Sunset Strings sold around 2,500 copies so far, but that’s strings. Choirs are a tougher sell than strings. (Everything is a tougher sell than strings.)

LET ME STEP BACK FOR A MINUTE

As I’m throwing these numbers around, I should mention that I’m a little hesitant, from an etiquette standpoint, about posting hard numbers like this, because I assume everyone is doing the math in their heads and figuring out how much money I’m actually making on this. (Although to be clear, Sunset Strings is not typical of our releases. Plus I spend $100k/year on ads, so our profits, while nice, are a touch less than they might seem.)

I don’t mind people knowing these numbers, mind you. I share them all the time, as do my friends in the business. (Why do you think developers make so few woodwind libraries? Because we share the numbers. ;) ) But I don’t want to come off as tacky about it in a public post, so if this all seems indiscreet, my apologies for that.

My goal in this thread is to show the realities of the sample library process, so I think it’s a more enlightening discussion if we include real numbers, as well as other things along the way that don’t usually get discussed.

BACK TO OUR STORY - CAN WE RECOUP?

Anyway, 2,000 will be a tough number to hit for a choir library, at least in the first year or two, which is when my wife will be asking, “Hey! What happened to that money that was in our bank account???” Still, if Sunset Choirs turns out how I hope it will, it will be pretty unique, and given that the choir market isn’t as saturated as the strings market, I’m optimistic. But I have doubts. For sure (knock on wood!) we’ll hit 1,000. But 2,000? That might be tough.

BUT WAIT! THERE’S AN ADDITIONAL FACTOR

These posts are really long, so I can’t remember, but did I mention that some day I’d like to release a word-builder choir? After my experiences with Blue, I’ve learned a lot about word-building, and I think I have some advantages other developers don’t have. I dare say I think I could do a good one.

But like with the string quintet, I have no idea how many days that would take with an actual choir, or what some of the surprise differences might be between recording a word-builder choir versus a solo voice word-builder. I can guess at where the challenges are, but I can’t know for sure until I’ve actually done some recording. Those challenges can mean the difference between 10 days? 20 days? I wouldn’t want to go into that blind.

The great thing about recording a library like Sunset Choir, on the other hand, is that it’s totally flexible. If we get lots of usable stuff, great! But even if we get less than expected, we’ll still have a good instrument then, too. So while we’re recording Sunset articulations, we can sneak in some word-builder tests along the way.

Have you ever wondered why there are shorts in Sunset Strings, which is a decidedly textural library, not a shorts library? It’s because we did exactly what I just described. We had extra time in a few places where it wasn’t worthwhile to start the next articulation, so I asked the players to play staccatos and pizzicatos so we could see how well they might work if we do a shorts library later on. We wound up using those tests in Sunset Strings (they sounded good, so why not?), but that wasn’t the original plan. They were supposed to just be tests.

To be clear, Sunset Choir will definitely not be a word-builder library. Those are just tests that I can do along the way. Which I'd normally pay money for, because this is worthwhile information. So having the opportunity to do that as we record Sunset Choir is a sweetener to the deal.

So I told the contractor to book it, baby. Will it pay off? We’ll see.

I’ll try to post next week about the format and what sorts of articulations we plan to do. Recording is the week after that.

But will there be second sopranos? You know it is not a real choir without second sopranos.

Okay, joking aside, I really like Exhale, which seems to be similar to what you want to do. A voice based instrument? I think if it turns out well - lots of textures and flowy/choppy sounds (or maybe flowy and choppy together?) - it will be popular.

Still waiting on the Realitone men though. As a singer, I can hit most of the female range and do my own backing vocals, but sometimes I need some male voices in there. Or maybe a male counterpart to Blue? :)

Wow, what a fantastic thread this is going to be! Thank you for doing this. It's so rare to get actual (ballpark) numbers, and I think it's useful for composers to have an understanding of those realities, and how they factor into the creative/technical choices developers make.

This is going to be fascinating, can't wait to read more as you go along.

Love the story and insights (seems you been studying the marketing playbook). It's a great eye opener on how much money these libraries cost even before coding. Have you considered just building your own studio lol? You could book it out for the whole year :D

This is such a great thread. Keep telling this story. It's fascinating.

I hope you're shooting video of the work too. Paying a videographer on top of the 100k shouldn't be a big deal, and IMHO would be a good investment. It could really pay off as you are a great storyteller. A story like this could become an evergreen YouTube video and sell the library for a long time.

I have a whole bunch of libraries (Realivox Men, Mandolin, Latin Percussion, Archtop, Organs, Mini Moog, etc.) in various stages of completion.
Oooh, Latin percussion. I'd like to know more about that one. Is there any chance that you'll be including timbales? I don't know why so many Latin percussion libraries fail to include this important part of the ensemble. Will it feature playable instruments, loops, or both? (I'm hoping for playable instruments.)

Thanks for sharing the saga of your choir project, Mike. Great story so far. I look forward to hearing the completed product!

Best,

Geoff

Partially off-topic.
I'll probably get flamed for this, but how many oohs and aahs choir library do we need? I'm really looking forward to the day we'll have real word builder libraries available.
Nowadays, it seems to me the synth faction in nearer than the samples one to reach that goal.

Top Bottom