What's new

The Adventures of Creating a Choir Library - April 26, 2024 Update - Wait ... we've spent HOW MUCH???

RECORDING IS FINISHED, SO LET'S START EDITING!

If only that's how it worked, where we could start editing samples and making Kontakt instruments right away. Truth be told, we actually did do that with a couple basic articulations, because it’s hard to resist. The problem, though, is that any editing done before the tracks are mixed is wasted. None of our samples will be keepers until we have final stereo mixes

So … just do the mixes, right? Well, you know how when you mix a cue for a client, it's really hard to stop, and put the word "Final" on it? This is like that, but amplify it by a hundred, because this isn't a 60 second cue that gets played once and then it’s over. This is 17.5 hours of recording for the Men (five 4-hour sessions, minus 10 minute hourly breaks.) and 21 hours for the women (six days minus breaks.) Each sample will be played by users again, again, again … and again. You want to be sure you’re happy with the balance.

Granted, our choir mix isn't as complicated as a 120-track epic adventure cue, since we're dealing with a fairly straightforward setup of three room mics at the front, two ambient mics in back, a stereo overhead pair in front of the singers, and eight close mics. With Sunset Strings, it was simple, as the three mic positions were Close, Room, and Ambient (the rear mics) and the mixes were literally the designated mics, with no blending of close mics with the room mics, or anything like that. So the “Room Mix” was simply the front three mics. Easy.

For the choir, though, we decided a little more finesse was called for, since you want more detail with a choir. Consonants get lost quickly with mics being further away. So the Room mics (Telefunken 251s) all by themselves wouldn't be as optimal for a "Main" mix, as they were with Sunset Strings. So for our Choir "Full Mix," we (actually Jayden, since he has better ears for this than I do) went with a combination of the front room mics combined with the stereo overheads and the close mics. That’s the main mix I assume everyone will use. The other two mixes are the Close mics and an Ambient mix of the five Telefunkens.

The de-noise process is also trickier than with the Strings, because a choir is much, much quieter than an instrumental ensemble. When you have mics 50 feet away from a singer doing whisper articulations, you can imagine the challenges. (Especially with Green Day being in Studio B that week. If they didn’t close their doors, we’d get some low end rumble.)

Those mixes took Jayden a few weeks. Men in one Pro Tools session, Women in another, and then five PT sessions for the smaller breakout ensembles (for Repetitions and stuff.) Then my job was to rearrange all the regions in each of these PT sessions so they would be in a more logical order. They weren’t already in a logical order, because during the recording process, I didn't want to make it too boring by recording sustain after sustain after sustain, then moving to legato after legato after legato. Each day was a mix of all sorts of articulations. So I needed to compile all the attacks (for instance) from Days 2, 3, 4, and 6 into one grouping.)

Here’s a fun fact I learned as I did this: Pro Tools has a 24 hour limit on session size. I never knew that before, since no one’s ever asked me to record a 24 song. (With Mike Greene songs, people tend to request less, not more.) When you have a Women's session of 21 hours, and you need extra space at the end to move regions into so you can juggle the other regions, it gets tricky.

Anyway, that all got finished just a few days day ago. Yep, that’s how slow this process is. Vincent has done some actual sample editing, and we have some basics, but not a lot.

ONE MIX OR THREE?

I'm really tempted to have just one mic mix, and the “Full Mix” sounds great to me. In fact, with Sunset Strings, I personally never use the Ambient or Close mixes, so I don’t really see the point in alternates. More importantly, regarding the task at hand, three mixes makes the editing process much more difficult. 17 hours of men recordings, 21 hours of women, and 3 hours each for five other smaller breakout groups … that’s a lot of stuff!

Don’t worry, I know I’m probably in the minority on this. (I am but a simple rock and roll guy.) And Jayden and Vincent strongly disagree with me on this … and I can’t do this without Jayden and Vincent, so we're going with three mixes.

But still, this would be a lot easier if it were just a single stereo mix. Just sayin’.

BLACK FRIDAY IS NOT OUR FRIEND

You may want to skip this section, because I’m about to start whining. Really, it's best for all involved if you move past this part. Okay, so has everybody skipped to the next section? Good, because don’t say I didn’t warn you!

The number of hours I’ve put into this project since we finished recording is pitifully low. The problem is that all sorts of other things compete for my time:

Making Black Friday ads for Realitone, as well as coordinating Black Friday ads for this forum, probably took around 80, maybe even a hundred hours. That’s probably tough to believe, but it’s true, because there are so many “little things” involved that keep sucking up time during the Black Friday period. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a profitable time, and when you’re already a hundred grand in the hole for choir recording sessions, you need “a profitable time.” But damn, it’s frustrating.

Then my wife scheduled a couple trips, and I try not do work while we’re vacationing. (Divorces are even more expensive than choir recording sessions.) So there’s two more weeks gone. Plus family stuff in general, where I’m expected to be “a good dad” or “a good son” or “a good husband” … it’s exhausting! Don’t these people realize I’ve got samples to edit and KSP code to write???

Plus, I may have mentioned that we’re doing a full remodel here at the studio (it’s 3,000 square feet), which is time consuming in ways I hadn’t expected. (Okay, seriously, skip to the next section now, because here’s where “White guy complaining about hard his life is” really kicks into high gear.) For starters, installing new flooring means everything has to be moved. I’ve been here 30 years, so moving “everything” includes a pool table, pinball, a B3, a C3, a couple Rhodes and about 20 other keyboards, and then the guitar amps … heck, I even kept one of our original 24-track decks, just because I thought it looked cool. There’s just way too much stuff here, and much of it, like the 13’ x 8’ L-shaped desk I’m sitting at right now, cool as it is (it replaced the Trident 80B console) was built in place, with a welded steel framework. Welded! I don’t know how the f- I’m going to move this thing. Plus all the wiring under the floors with popouts at various places for access to consoles and stuff …what have I gotten myself into?

I know, I know. First world problems. But still, picking paint samples and packing for trips is killing my choir-library making rhythm! And it’s hard to keep Vincent and Jayden motivated when at our Zoom meetings each week, I say, “Uhhh, I did nothin’ this week.”

Continued ...

Continued ...

WHO INVITED THIS GUY???

I conducted these sessions myself, and I was directly in front of the center from room mic, so I’m easy to hear in these recordings. Or a better way to put it might be, “There’s lots of me in these recordings.” That’s a “better way to put it” because damn, I talk a lot!

It’s weird to listen to sessions like this where you hear the entirety of what happened, including yourself. Usually you would start and stop as the singers sing. Especially in the old days where this might have been on tape. But these sessions were fast and loose (I would often lead in with “three, four,” skipping one and two), so if the engineer stopped recording, there would be inevitable lateness of start-records. Can’t risk that, and hard disk space is cheap, so this was a Hit-Record-And-Keep-It-Going situation. (The total PT sessions took 900GB of space.)

Listening back, I can’t help but critique myself, as there are literally hours of me on here. In many ways, I think I was pretty efficient in explaining each articulation. Sometimes I would get a bit chatty, though, trying to keep the vibe loose. With singers especially, I’m a big believer in keeping them happy with their energy up, because you can hear their energy level in their performance. But I do wonder if there was too much fluff. Then again, this was five and a half 13-hour days, so “all business” would be weird.

One thing I noticed is I hear myself getting tired on Days 5 and 6. Especially the morning of Day 5, where we had a smaller section of three sopranos. (These are solo recordings for the Repetitions engine.) One of the singers didn’t show (yikes!), so we called in two subs. Two, since I didn’t care about costs, I just needed someone there fast.

The subs show up - one is good, the other is not so good. So I now have four singers for a three singer job. I kinda want to tell the fourth singer to go home, since she wasn’t really right for this, but that’s a rough one, because I don’t want to hurt her feelings. Which would be especially bad, because I kinda think I might know her from a previous gig (I’ve done a lot of songs over the years, and my memory gets a but hazy), so sending her home could be weird, especially if she’s friends with one of my usual first-call singers. (It turns out she is, and yes, she’s been here. Whew, I’m glad I was careful!) So four singers it is.

So there are two things I notice as I listen back to this. One is that I can hear in my voice that I just want this session to be over. I remember thinking at the time that these breakout sessions are comparatively cheap, so I was tempted to just scrap the whole morning and take a break until 1:00 when the Women’s ensemble would come in. That would have been crazy, because it’s not that cheap, but that’s how tired I was. Adrenaline can keep you going for a good session, but for a bad one … good bye adrenaline.

The other thing I notice is … damn, I’m a nice guy! (Banning annoying members on the forum: Mike = Not Nice. Dealing with singers: Mike = Nice.) Soprano #4 was definitely wrong for this., so I tried to fly through her parts as fast as possible, just so we could spend more time with the “right” singers. The challenge, though, is that when a singer is not right for a part (she’s actually a good R&B singer - just not right for this), they’ll obviously need to make more attempts at each line, so they can finally get it right. But I want her to make just one pass at each articulation, since I’m just going to delete anyway. So I heard myself doing a lot of, “Oh, that’s really nice. It’s different from how the other singers did it, so it will be useful.”

I’m so manipulative.

ADDITIONAL SESSION IN FEBRUARY

As I re-organized the sessions and started some edits, I’m already seeing some holes in what we recorded. I kind of expected that, because we only had about two weeks to plan for the recording sessions, so “organization” on my part was a little lacking. Maybe even a lot lacking. I don’t necessarily regret that, though, because I think I tend to over-plan in general, so I’m making a conscious decision to ease up on that.

There’s a time cost to planning. So although I’d like things to be as efficient as possible (thus saving me money), I’m learning that I need to be more aware of how much time I’m spending in order to make things efficient. So I’m experimenting with more of a shoot-from-the-hip philosophy. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I may look back on this a year from now and say, “Wow, I should have done this, this, and this differently,” but I’m lucky enough to be able to afford a few mistakes, so I’m enjoying the experiment.

I think I mentioned before that part of the fun of starting Realitone is that I’m learning about all sorts of new things. At this point in my life, I’d honestly rather study Facebook ad analytics than score another daytime talk show that nobody watches. I’m sure that will change in a few years, as studying Facebook ads will undoubtedly get old fast. But for me, it’s still new, and even exciting to learn what does and doesn’t work, so it’s fun.

Anyway, there are a few articulations where the men and women don’t quite match, like certain attacks where the women might have scooped in a little deeper than the men did. Plus a few new articulation ideas we’ve though of. So we’re going to do two or three extra days in February. That should give us enough time to edit the results before our April release, plus it’s far enough from now that we can be confident that there will be enough planning for the sessions this time.

We haven’t actually scheduled yet, though, because I need to specify the number of days, and I need to know how many hours for each ensemble. (Men, Women, and the four smaller breakout ensembles.) Cost is around $20k/day, so I can’t be sloppy in the number of days I book for everyone.

RELEASE AT NAMM

I do have a deadline for this. It’s a self-imposed deadline, but I’m taking it seriously, and I’m going to do whatever I have to do to make it happen. NAMM is April 13-15 this year, so I really, really, really want to be able to make a release announcement at the show. I’ve never successfully released at NAMM before, but this time I think I can. So in March, if you see an ad that says “Desperate! Sample Developer in Need of Editors!”, that will be me.

We printed up lyric sheets, but there was no rehearsal for this. I counted them off and away they went. They figured out harmonies on the fly (although undoubtedly they’ve sung this song before) and it was really interesting to watch them signal to each other as they adjusted who should sing what. (You'll notice the first verse harmonies are not the same as the last verse.)

It was incredibly cool to have a front row seat for this, as it felt like I was being serenaded. Check it out:

Those shared moments where no words are needed are truly magical. That's what I love about making /listening to music. Loved that recording and I would have loved it even more if I had sat in a chair next to yours to witness it.
Thanks for taking us with you in that journey.

@Mike Greene it's been a while since we've had an update - how are you progressing toward your NAMM release target?
We just finished our additional recording sessions on Friday, so I'll try to post an update today or tomorrow.

Loved that recording and I would have loved it even more if I had sat in a chair next to yours to witness it.
Yeah, that was pretty special. My wife wants me to have a release party for this one and invite all the singers. I'd love to do something like Eric did when Spectrasonics released Keyscape, although I'm not sure I could pull off something quite as grand as that was. Grand or modest, if we do decide to do a release event, I think I would ask them to sing something like that again, off the cuff, just so everybody else could experience it.

My wife wants me to have a release party for this one and invite all the singers. I'd love to do something like Eric did when Spectrasonics released Keyscape, although I'm not sure I could pull off something quite as grand as that was. Grand or modest, if we do decide to do a release event, I think I would ask them to sing something like that again, off the cuff, just so everybody else could experience it.
You need to listen to your wonderful wife! And you need to invite me to the release party!!

After six recording days last November, we were back at United for three days last week, to get the articulations we missed the first time. These were three looong days. 12 hours Wednesday, then 14 hours each on Thursday and Friday. Although only 12 hours of actual recording, since there were two half hour breaks plus a one hour break. Plus ten minute breaks every hour. So … hardly any work at all. :grin:

Wait … so the first five and a half days weren’t enough???

Yeah, I know. I’d have a hard time believing it, too, if I wasn’t looking at the articulation list now, and seeing stuff that we still didn’t finish. It’s wish-list stuff, mind you, not mandatory articulations, but still, I’m tempted to do one more day at some point. (Although I got word that United might be ceasing operations, starting next month, so I don’t know.)

The main reason for these pickup sessions is that there were a few things we missed during the first six days, and there were also a number of articulations where the men and women ensembles didn’t do them in quite the same way. Maybe one dipped higher in the attack than the other, for instance. So I put all those mismatches into Kontakt so I could play them and say, “Here’s how the women sang this one, so you dudes need to sound like that."

There were also a few articulations where the men and women did different sets of vowels. (File that under poor organization on my part.) We have a “Lion King” articulation, for instance, where the women did it for oo, ah and mm, but the men only did oo and ah. In hindsight, there were a lot of organizational shortcomings for that week back in November, although I expected that, since it was all done with only a couple weeks of prep.

Now that time has passed and we’re deep into this project, do I now regret giving myself so little time for that first session? Not really, at least not yet. Spending time making sure everything is organized perfectly is always a good thing, of course, but I’m thinking that it can also be better to move quickly, even if it means a lot of mistakes get made and extra costs are incurred. (Both of which are definitely happening.) Prep time is time, and time is money, so I’m thinking the benefit of an over-accelerated schedule is that I’ll release something and make money from it sooner, rather than my recent snail’s pace of a year and a half between releases. Mistakes make it more expensive, obviously, and I've made plenty, but I’m starting to think time is much more valuable than money.

Why do I think that? Because if you’re a business that incurs large expenses, this can happen:

Realitone lost money in 2022

Yep, and that’s even without paying myself. It was very sobering as I compiled all my year-end expenses for my accountant. Gross income was about half what it was in 2021, but expenses were actually higher than 2021. So we have a net loss, and a pretty big one at that.

The $115k recording expense in November for Sunset Choirs obviously played a hand in that, but even without that, I still lost money. There are wages, contract labor (the Men, a Latin library, and a few other projects we started), royalties, advertising, studio expenses (utilities, taxes, insurance, etc), Kontakt licenses, … it all adds up. (Mid six figures.) I still don’t totally believe expenses added up to so much, but I did notice the bank balances were going down as the year went on, so … yeah.

Nighfall has sold well, but bear in mind, at $129 a pop, a thousand copies (that’s about what we’ve sold so far) only adds up to $129k. Actually less, since Sunset Strings owners only paid $99. That’s maybe a third or a fourth of my expenses for the year. Much of those expenses are investments for future income, mind you, but if I don’t start actually releasing these instruments, this is going to become a problem.

It’s been a couple years since Sunset Strings was released, and it did really, really well, but … most people who were going to buy it already did. Before that, Hip Hop Creator was over four years ago. So that’s only three releases in the last five years. You’re not going to make much money with a release schedule like that.

That’s why I want to try a different approach, which might cost me more money, what with re-records, and hiring more editors to speed things up (there are six people on payroll for Sunset Choirs right now), but it will mean a sooner release, which will mean a sooner recoup of expenses, not to mention getting a sooner start on the next project, and the next one after that.

So how did the sessions go?

Okay, enough whining about finances, now I’ll whine about 12 and 14 hour days. ;)

Interestingly, the hardest part of 12/14 hours was not the conducting or running the sessions, which surprises me that I could go that many hours and still be feeling good. Although I did the same thing in November for five days, so I knew it was possible. I had a substitute conductor in November, since I thought it might be too much. I basically paid her to be there the whole day and watch me so she’d see how this is supposed to work. (Sampling sessions are way different from regular sessions.) I never needed her to step in, though, so I sent her home the second day.

If I may be introspective for minute, this is a flaw I know I have, where I hate relinquishing control, or trusting other people to "do it right.” I need to be the one running the sessions, dammit! In hindsight, though, I think I would have accomplished more if I had a sub conduct every third or fourth hour.

That’s because my biggest challenge on these days was in the “thinking” part of this. Reevaluating as we go, and deciding which things on the articulations list need to be reprioritized, and all the other things that happen on the fly. That’s a bigger job than you might think, and during these sessions, as well as last November, I wound up working through all the breaks, trying to catch up and plan for the next hour. Even if a substitute composer got less recorded than I would have (I’m pretty fast, and I dare say particularly good with singers), I think I would still have come out ahead.

My wife says I have difficulty relinquishing control of things. She’s right. So I suspect if I ever do this again, I’ll still be doing all the conducting. It’s fun, and I like interacting with the singers. I do think I have a better handle on how I could be better organized next time, though.

One interesting thing about conducting these sessions, and a reason I should consider getting more help, is that while we’re recording, I often lose track of what note we’re on, or which vowel, or various other brain lapses. That’s because I’m listening for the basic “quality control” things that need to be decided on the fly, but I’m also thinking about things like how many minutes do we have left before the next break, and if it’s only like 5 or 10 minutes, which articulation should we do next that we can we bang out in that quick an amount of time, and did the men sing this one with this much vibrato … maybe we should go back to the beginning and start this articulation over, and … wait, did this hour start on the hour or did it start at the half hour? It’s a lot to think about at once.

Anyway, to answer the “How did the sessions go?” question, it went very well, and we got good stuff recorded. This was mostly supplemental (almost all the basics got covered in November), so this library is going to have a massive amount of alternative articulations and crazy ideas. The singers had a lot of fun with this one, since there was a lot of,“Wait, you want us to do … what???"

Still uploading to Australia

The November sessions were almost a terabyte. Three days last week are a little over 500GB. Jayden does the noise reduction and mixes to stereo, but he’s in Australia. For November, I sent a drive by FedEx, but that took a few days, plus it was expensive and I had to stand in a long line and answer a bunch of questions about whether I’m a terrorist and all that stuff, so this time, I figured I’d try uploading instead, especially since it’s less overall data.

My upload speed was very fast, and it looked like it might take only a couple days for the whole thing. Great! But then … Spectrum throttled me down. Ugh. So I did some of the uploads from home as well, so it’s being uploaded from two places at once. That finally finished yesterday.

I mention all that because there are a lot of logistical challenges when you have multiple people working on a project. Even with something as straight-forward as editing, more than once I’ve gotten files back and realized oops, I forgot to tell them about one of the steps they should have done.

continued ...

... continued ...

How to price this thing

The original plan was to price this exactly like Sunset Strings: $299 list, and $199 intro sale. This is a way more complex library, though. For starters, “sul tasto” strings sustains is a single articulation. Simple. But the equivalent for choir involves how many vowels do you want to have? Gotta have oo and ah, and probably mm, too, right? That’s triple the data and triple the work. Maybe add oh and uh as well? Okay, now you’re at five times the work. Plus the human voice isn’t as easy to control as a violin (for starters, violins don’t run out of breath), so the recordings didn’t go nearly as quickly. Plus, this library will simply have “more," including legato and other things.

The total cost for Sunset Choir will be well over $200k (not including my own time.) Sunset Strings was under $100k. So, obviously we should charge more for Sunset Choir, right?

Cost isn’t how you determine price, though, since price is a function of what the market is willing to pay, not how much you want to get. In other words, I can believe whatever I want regarding what a product is worth, but it’s the customers, not me, who ultimately decide what they’re willing to pay.

Still, it does make me wonder, as there’s a somewhat finite nature to how many people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a strings or choir library. More will buy at $199 sale price than at a $299 sale price, obviously, but would I eventually get close to same number of buyers either way? In which case the higher price seems smarter, right?

But … what if a $299 sale price is considered a bridge too far for a lot of people? It’s common knowledge that there’s a big drop-off at the $99 point, so the question is where are the hard lines between $100 and $999. Is $199 a line customers don’t want to cross? Or is it $299? Or $499? I might make a separate poll about that. (Not specific to Sunset, just a general “What price point makes you think twice?”)

Still planning to release at NAMM?

I already paid for a Sonic State video and ad, so I’d better be ready by then! I have to admit, though, I’m starting to wonder. There’s a lot still to do, even with the stuff we recorded in November. We haven’t even finished editing all of if. We do have a working “engine,” since we can plug a lot of this into the Sunset Strings template, but this library will go well beyond that, what with legato, as well as rhythmic things that will require their own interfaces and coding.

This was always going to be a “pre-release” thing, like we did with Sunset Strings and Nightfall, but with both of those, the pre-release was very close to what the final release was. It was basically just a few bugs to finish working out, then the NKS implementation, then off to NI for encoding for the “official” release.

I’d like to stick to that plan. But can we finish by April 13th? I don’t know. So I’m considering maybe having the pre-release be a significantly smaller subset of the full thing. Basically, “This isn’t finished yet, but if you want what we have so far (which will presumably still be pretty cool), then you can get it.” The danger to that, though, is that I don’t want to take away from the thunder of the real release, especially as people tend to start posting about the pre-release version, and the bugs and shortcomings become top search results.

I dunno. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing this next month, and we'll be very close to final. If not, I’ve got to think about whether I should just eat the Sonic State ad and forget about selling pre-release at NAMM. I really, really, really don’t want to do that, since I’ve been soooo hoping this would finally be the NAMM where we have an actual release to show. We’ll see.

... continued ...

How to price this thing

The original plan was to price this exactly like Sunset Strings: $299 list, and $199 intro sale. This is a way more complex library, though. For starters, “sul tasto” strings sustains is a single articulation. Simple. But the equivalent for choir involves how many vowels do you want to have? Gotta have oo and ah, and probably mm, too, right? That’s triple the data and triple the work. Maybe add oh and uh as well? Okay, now you’re at five times the work. Plus the human voice isn’t as easy to control as a violin (for starters, violins don’t run out of breath), so the recordings didn’t go nearly as quickly. Plus, this library will simply have “more," including legato and other things.

The total cost for Sunset Choir will be well over $200k (not including my own time.) Sunset Strings was under $100k. So, obviously we should charge more for Sunset Choir, right?

Cost isn’t how you determine price, though, since price is a function of what the market is willing to pay, not how much you want to get. In other words, I can believe whatever I want regarding what a product is worth, but it’s the customers, not me, who ultimately decide what they’re willing to pay.

Still, it does make me wonder, as there’s a somewhat finite nature to how many people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a strings or choir library. More will buy at $199 sale price than at a $299 sale price, obviously, but would I eventually get close to same number of buyers either way? In which case the higher price seems smarter, right? But … what if a $299 sale price is considered a bridge too far for a lot of people? It’s common knowledge that there’s a big drop-off at the $99 point, so the question is where are the hard lines between $100 and $999? Is $199 a line you don’t want to cross? Or is it $299? Or $499? I might make a separate poll about that. (Not specific to Sunset, just a general “What price point makes you think twice?”)

Still planning to release at NAMM?

I already paid for a Sonic State video and ad, so I’d better be ready by then! I have to admit, though, I’m starting to wonder. There’s a lot still to do, even with the stuff we recorded in November. We haven’t even finished editing all of if. We do have a working “engine,” since we can plug a lot of this into the Sunset Strings template, but this library will go well beyond that, what with legato, as well as rhythmic things that will require their own interfaces and coding.

This was always going to be a “pre-release” thing, like we did with Sunset Strings and Nightfall, but with both of those, the pre-release was very close to what the final release was. It was basically just a few bugs to finish working out, then the NKS implementation, then off to NI for encoding for the “official” release.

I’d like to stick to that plan. But can we finish by April 13th? I don’t know. So I’m considering maybe having the pre-release be significantly short of the full thing. Basically, “This isn’t finished yet, but if you want what we have so far (which will presumably still be pretty cool), then you can get it.” The danger to that, though, is that I don’t want to take away from the thunder of the real release, especially as people tend to start posting about the pre-release version, and the bugs and shortcomings become top search results.

I dunno. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing this next month, and we'll be very close to final. If not, I’ve got to think about whether I should just eat the Sonic State ad and forget about selling pre-release at NAMM. I really, really, really don’t want to do that, since I’ve been soooo hoping this would finally be the NAMM where we have an actual release to show. We’ll see.
I love these posts. Such great details, and nice to get a peak behind the curtain.

It’s common knowledge that there’s a big drop-off at the $99 point, so the question is where are the hard lines between $100 and $999.

Having heard marketing people for years calling every number a "magic price point," I'm skeptical that the lines are that hard - just as I am about x.99 prices getting rounded down instead of up in people's minds.

I mean, if you're talking about picking up a candy bar at the supermarket checkout counter, then sure, people might balk if they realize they're spending $6 instead of $5.99. And the psychology of buying iPhone apps is similar - do I really want to spend eight whole dollars for a synth?

But how many people are going to worry whether a serious choir library is $199 or $225?

On the other hand, people can get very rich by listening to me and doing the opposite.

Last edited:
Re products that have already met their core audience : have you tried the heavy discount road (audioplugindeals, vstbuzz & co) or are you against it for business reasons or to avoid risking antagonizing core customers?

But how many people are going to worry whether a serious choir library is $199 or $225?
While I do agree with "science" that 199 is vastly cheaper than 200, I have this weird unexplainable feeling that a 225$ product - without comparing any prices directly just from a gutfeeling point of view without context - is cheaper than a 199$ product, because one price is leaning downwards to a magical price point, and one is leaning upwards to a magical price point. 225$ also feels oddly specific, and not like someone is trying to bullshit me. When pricing my own work, I avoid numbers like 2000$ like the plague, but I would also never price anything 1999$ because it feels to me in a business context like insulting the intelligence of my client. I think going a little over the 2k barrier is just as valid as going a little under. It just should not feel arbitrary.

@Mike Greene: I haven't had the time to read everything in this thread but what I read was super interesting. Thanks a lot for the in depth insights! Have you considered going for a tiered release like a cheaper "core" version with a reduced articulation and vowel set and a higher priced "pro" version with an upgrade path? Standard salesmen techniques would maybe imply that you need an even more expensive anchor product that is not intended to be ever sold, but makes the reasonable choice look cheaper. But I don't know how much sense that kind of product could make with the material you have and I'm not surprised if you say Kontakt isn't ideal to roll out 3 product variants when 1 is already enough of a pain in the ass to maintain and prep to NI's specs.

The next VI-Control incessant pestering isn't about second violins or refunds or dongles or Infinite-what-have-yous: it's whether or not Bill Thompson was invited to a party.
I like it!

[snip]

@Mike Greene: I haven't had the time to read everything in this thread but what I read was super interesting. Thanks a lot for the in depth insights! Have you considered going for a tiered release like a cheaper "core" version with a reduced articulation and vowel set and a higher priced "pro" version with an upgrade path? Standard salesmen techniques would maybe imply that you need an even more expensive anchor product that is not intended to be ever sold, but makes the reasonable choice look cheaper. But I don't know how much sense that kind of product could make with the material you have and I'm not surprised if you say Kontakt isn't ideal to roll out 3 product variants when 1 is already enough of a pain in the ass to maintain and prep to NI's specs.
I'm sure Mike will chime in with his take on this but our experience was, whilst the NI costs associated with a tier-ed approach are actually present but in the greater scheme of things not so proportionally great the two real issues here are:
1. Time (and as Mike point out thats real money) - without a fair bit of pre-planning in the engine design retro-fitting this sort of bronze, silver, gold approach can be nightmarish
2. Kontakt - the elephant in the room - or more importantly KSP, its just not flexible enough as a vehicle to easily build this sort of thing, essentially you end up building three complete different systems - with all the support/development problems associated with that.

1. Time (and as Mike point out thats real money) - without a fair bit of pre-planning in the engine design retro-fitting this sort of bronze, silver, gold approach can be nightmarish
2. Kontakt - the elephant in the room - or more importantly KSP, its just not flexible enough as a vehicle to easily build this sort of thing, essentially you end up building three complete different systems - with all the support/development problems associated with that.
That's exactly what I feared :-/. Thanks for confirming and clarifying!

Top Bottom