What's new

The 8va Strings Legato Layering Challenge

Oh, OK. Well, hopefully you will be able to accomplish this with libraries you already own. I picked up the lite version. It sounds terrible OTB, but with some inspirata reverb, it can sound pretty good. With the current $99 sale I figured everybody had it by now lol. I wonder if soaring strings and 8GL could do the trick? I don’t have soaring strings. Good luck! I’m curious to see where you land. It’s a beautiful sound.
Also, I see that LASS Lite is $199 now, so it’s hard for me to justify yet another string library. I am tempted by Abbey Road One at the current sale/upgrade price if I were sure that they had more distinct legato than my copy of Albion Legacy. I also thought about the new Abbey Road high strings as well, but at some point, I think it’s best to just wear what you have!

Also, I see that LASS Lite is $199 now, so it’s hard for me to justify yet another string library. I am tempted by Abbey Road One at the current sale/upgrade price if I were sure that they had more distinct legato than my copy of Albion Legacy. I also thought about the new Abbey Road high strings as well, but at some point, I think it’s best to just wear what you have!
LASS lite is actually 99 USD if you check out first with their freeware Silver in your cart.

@ScarletJerry All the examples you've posted are in the higher register, so I don't know if the following can be useful to you, however check the tone (it's CSS version 1.5 - the "old" version):

(1:56 you can hear high strings. At 2:20 V1/V2/VA soloed in octaves)

Thanks Henrik! Have the new 1.7 version of CSS and I didn't try that yet. This piece sounds awesome!

Scarlet Jerry

I ran a *very* quick test with my fave libs for this task, no edit or programming, just my bad playing and added some reverb (Spaces 2) for 2 of these that are dry libraries out of the box. There is a CC1 crescendo at the start, that's why #2 sounds jumpy (it was badly manually ramped).

How would you rate them? No name dropping yet, just what do your ears tell you?

View attachment 01.mp3
View attachment 02.mp3
View attachment 03.mp3
View attachment 04.mp3

Numbers 2 and 3 have a slightly more pronounced legato, so it’s close. Thanks for doing this.

I did have another thought - has anyone tried this with the $50 ARO Soaring High Strings library? I wonder if that legato would do the trick?

Scarlet Jerry

Top Bottom