What's new

Sunset Strings - A Truly Unique Approach to String Libraries

The only similar thing I know of is Light and Sound Chamber strings which uses recorded de/cresendo arcs when you hold the sus pedal. Though only in a single length.

I'd love something similar in this library. Some mechanism to spap in a new set of articulations when the sus pedal is down. Which would really add a depth of performability.
I have the LS Chamber Strings as a permanent part of my template and love that sustain pedal feature. I wish more companies would do things like this. It seems so small in the grand scheme of things but I almost never use regular “sustain” patches these days. Having things recorded naturally like that adds so much to realism.
I'm not understanding what this is about. When you press the sustain pedal in LS, does it change articulations, like a keyswitch? I'm assuming not, since you'd want the sustain pedal to just do ... sustain, right? ;) Obviously I'm not understanding what's really going on, so is there a video and time mark where I could see this in action with LS?

ism and bfreepro, nice pieces! I gotta say, it's really cool (even cooler than I expected) hearing stuff like this and knowing I had a hand in the sounds.

For those familiar with @Daniel James, there's also this video, where he does a bunch of noodling which was really fun (for me, at least) to listen to. One good thing about this video (as with all DJ streams) is that it's totally raw, so it really is "Here's what it sounds like like out of the box."

I'm not understanding what this is about. When you press the sustain pedal in LS, does it change articulations, like a keyswitch? I'm assuming not, since you'd want the sustain pedal to just do ... sustain, right? ;) Obviously I'm not understanding what's really going on, so is there a video and time mark where I could see this in action with LS?
For light and sound chamber strings, the long patch just plays like a normal sustain (one dynamic unless you crossfade with the modwheel, notes stop when you release the key), but when you hold down the sustain pedal (or program cc64 if you don’t have a pedal), the notes will begin with a natural crescendo when you first press the keys, and perform a decrescendo when you release the keys. The sustain pedal basically acts as a key switch to “turn on” the crescendos and decrescendos that were recorded for the long notes. It shows it a little bit here at 3:19 and here at 4:04

Yep, very like a key switch. And since buying LSCS I often find the last think I want the sustain pedal to do anymore is sustain. (If you think about it, sustain makes much more sense for a piano, where it's essential to the sonority, than for strings, where it's at best a minor convenience function).

Playing a line in LSCS (including in the legato ) without the sus pedal is good for fast notes, and it invokes a staccato overlay triggered by velocity (much like the spitfire performance patches). But when you hold down the sustain, notes ebb and flow as the recorded de/crescendos are triggered. I can make a simple demo if you'de like. And I go on about it in this thread, arguing that it has a much bigger impact on the musicality that I would have thought:

For Sunset strings, even just setting medium crescendo/decresendo attack/release gives you considerable flexibility in crafting the arcs, like in the above noodle.

But, for instance, the final note would probably have been nicer with the long decrescendo. Except that at present I would have had to create a new instance on a new track to accomplish that.

Similarly, if I had used short and immediate attacks (not to mention the marcatos and a ton of thing I've not scratched the surface on, but let keep it simple for now) at various points in the noodle would have sounded even better. But more to the point, I probably would have played differently, and found something that sounded even better if I had access this this kind of performance crafting at my fingertips.

So using the sustain pedal in this way does make a kind of conceptual sense at the level or ... not in holding the note by making the midi note longer, but in making it more flowing by increasing the length of the release and/or the attack.

Moreover, some intuitive mechanism to swap in different shapes of attack/release arcs while playing really would add a dimension of performability. Some combination of key switching + the sustain pedal could really make this even more of a joy in the ability to craft performances than it already is.

Noticed that the long decrescendo release works well with the forte sustain/vibrato, but is a bit loud/strong for the other sustain articulations. The crescendo long attack sounds smooth on all the arts.

I have no job, no income, and limited funds; but I bought this.

Sunset Strings is not just a game changer for string VI's, but a template for other VI's as well. More importantly, a game changer for all of music and sound.

Thank you.

P.S. +1 for poly-legato

Last edited:
@Mike Greene This library sounds fantastic!

Quick question, would I need to reinstall the whole library when the Kontakt Player version is released or will I be able to register my serial and point Native Access to the prerelease folder?

Noticed that the long decrescendo release works well with the forte sustain/vibrato, but is a bit loud/strong for the other sustain articulations. The crescendo long attack sounds smooth on all the arts.
If you click the little Gear icon next to any of the elements (Attack, Release, Top Layer, Bottom Layer), a volume knob appears, so you can match levels. Ultimately we'll code it so the levels match automatically when a different sustain is chosen, although we'll still keep the volume knob available for people who want to adjust.

Quick question, would I need to reinstall the whole library when the Kontakt Player version is released or will I be able to register my serial and point Native Access to the prerelease folder?
You'll need to reinstall the whole library, since the samples will be nkx files (or whatever those monoliths are.)

When is this library coming out? I bought it in the presale but haven't done anything about downloading it yet...

This will maybe sound angry in text, but I'm really just a bit frustrated. I don't understand how no one in the thread is asking how Sunset Strings is supposed to be installed, because I personally can't make sense of it. I'm on PC.

There's no documentation in the .zip/rar files, and there's nothing about it on the FAQ on Realitone's website.

If I just unpack the .zip/rar files on my harddrive, it becomes folder called "Sunset Strings" and a separate folder called "Sunset Strings Other Stuff" (see the attached screenshot). Then, if I load the Sunset Strings.nki file (found in the "Sunset Strings Other Stuff" folder) into KONTAKT, it complains it can't find the samples (it turns out they're in the separate "Sunset Strings" folder).

So against my better judgement I start experimenting by moving the folder with the samples into the folder with the .nki file - but I can't make sense of it and put it where KONTAKT apparently expects the samples to be.

It's totally fine that there's no dedicated installation wizard since this is an "early access" version of the library - but why everything isn't put into .rar files in a way that makes it unpack into the correct folder structure where everything just works, is beyond me. However, I feel like I'm may be missing something since no one else in the thread is bringing it up...

The library sounds awesome and needless to say I bought it, so I'm keen on using it. Can someone please help me out? Perhaps @Mike Greene would be so kind as to shed some light on the proper method of installation.

Attachments

• Sunset Strings.jpg
    Sunset Strings.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom