What's new

Sunset Strings - A Truly Unique Approach to String Libraries

Mike Greene

EDIT - See this post (March 10, 2021) on Page 15 of this thread for actual release announcement.

EDIT - See this post (March 23, 2021) on Page 16 for update 1.1 info.

Pre-Release Post:

I thought that doing a strings library would be easy. Sure, it's expensive (especially when you use top L.A session players and record in Studio A at United Recording/Ocean Way in Hollywood), but once the recording and sample editing are done, then all you have to do is just map them into Kontakt and boom ... done. Easy peasy. Way easier than a stupid Pattern Player or word builder instrument. Seriously, I thought this was going to be the easiest library I've done.

That was the plan. But ... I forgot to take into account that I keep getting "ideas." Plus the guys who worked with me on this are really fussy about sound and stuff and totally upped my game. (Apparently people take strings more seriously than banjos.) I know this will sound like marketing hype, but I think it was worth it, because I must say, I'm really proud of this one.

Anyway, over a year later, this puppy is finally finished. Well, not completely finished, since it's not encoded yet, and while we wait for that, we'll no doubt come up with a few more tweaks. But by golly, a boy's gotta recoup, so I'm announcing it now. We're calling this a pre-release, since the final KPlayer version won't get here for at least a few weeks, but for those who buy now, you'll get it for $199 instead of $300, plus you get the advance copy of the full Kontakt version now. <EDIT> KPlayer version is now released, although we're keeping the presale price for another week or so, because some upcoming ads have that price in them. I really should have coordinated this better...

So check out the video, then head on over to our https://realitone.com/products/sunset-strings (&quot;Help Mike Recoup His Expenses&quot; webpage). As always, we have a 30 day full refund policy with this. Seriously, we want zero unhappy customers.

<EDIT>

And here's a piece David Kudell sent me. Great piece, so we're making it our first official demo. All strings, even the articulations you might not expect, are Sunset Strings:

And here's a fantastic piece by Vincent Carlo:

Last edited:
I wasn’t clear from the video: does this have a way to switch articulations through key switches or CCs? Or do you have to set up a new instrument for each articulation set up.

Looks and sounds quite unique and useful! Pretty easy buy for me - don’t need another standard string library. Thank you for doing something new and interesting!

Last edited:
Wow @Mike Greene this sounds phenomenal. You can tell the quality of the space you recorded in and the players (Its a big week for United Recording eh?) The large Studio A looks like a beautiful room.

I’m also really impressed with the number of articulations, with things like waves and sul Tasto it’s like getting Olafur Arnalds chamber evolutions too. Congrats on this release!

well Mike, consider me as veeeery impressed!
So much there and it sounds great!!!

But i am still wondering what took you so long? :shocked:
This could have been finished within a weeks work time...
well...do better next time :whistling:

just heading over to the "support Mike" page and buying it...

@Mike Greene Really interesting approach for a strings library with some very useful playing combinations, and it does sound really great.

One thing that isn't clear from watching the video is how this would all be put together in a composition. For example, I may want a Sforzando Attack to only play on the first note of a passage, and a Scatter Release to play on the last note of the passage. How is this accomplished? From the video, it seems like the Attack and Release articulations are either on or off for all notes, with no ability to switch mid-stream.

To that end, it would be helpful to see MIDI sequencer examples of Sunset Strings playing a composition, so we can see how the layers, articulations, attacks, and releases are manipulated.

Thanks!

Oh yeah!

I remember watching the NAMM video thinking "Wow, Mike's really out of his comfort zone with that one!", and then I proceeded to be amazed by the quick demo. And this walkthrough you just posted does not disappoint! That really is something else you have going on!

Thank you for the update!

EDIT as I just finished the video. I'm very curious about the attack and releases for layers other than sul tasto, that would spark some good creativity right there!

Last edited:
I was reading the articulation list on the website and I can't find legato... I guess the library is more a textural (and a great awesome one it seems, it really sounds special!) color palette but still puzzling not to have a legato patch, or "performance" patch, at least to integrate the other articulations when needed with a cohesive sound. Am I missing anything?
Again, it sounds really great, the room is so amazing it jumps at you, so I understand the eventual lack of that patch and it would still make this library very desirable.
Cheers!

Yeah, I know....
And pizzicato should be injected to cleanup your insides, we could look into that.
Also, flautando will go away like a miracle....

Top Bottom