What's new

Studio One Zooming Frustration

Heinigoldstein

One of the main issues I have with Studio One is the link between the main window and the piano roll. For some reason, I just can´t find a way to get zoom level right in the piano roll. It seems different evertime and half of the time I need for editing is changing the zoom level. I know there was a former update, where Presonus established, that each event remembers it´s last zoom level. Worsed update ever for me, I much, much more prefer a customizable default level.
But that´s not the only issue. It has a weird behavior every now and than like in the video. I just press the "overview" command, but instead showing an overview of the 1,5 bars of the actuall region, it shows an overview of the 1000+ bars of the whole project ??!? Other regions in the main window are still working as expected and when I go back and forth a few times, the issue is gone, well, some times at least.
Overview in the piano roll also quite often only works correct horizontal. Pretty often I have to manually zoom out on top or scroll through the key range to find the events. As much as I like S1, this is a nightmare. Support told me, that there is an issue with toggle zoom, bit that it´s not related to it.

View attachment ZOOM.mp4

I use S1 since about a year now. Does any of the more experienced users out there have any tips and tricks hpw to manage this better ?

One of the main issues I have with Studio One is the link between the main window and the piano roll. For some reason, I just can´t find a way to get zoom level right in the piano roll. It seems different evertime and half of the time I need for editing is changing the zoom level. I know there was a former update, where Presonus established, that each event remembers it´s last zoom level. Worsed update ever for me, I much, much more prefer a customizable default level.
But that´s not the only issue. It has a weird behavior every now and than like in the video. I just press the "overview" command, but instead showing an overview of the 1,5 bars of the actuall region, it shows an overview of the 1000+ bars of the whole project ??!? Other regions in the main window are still working as expected and when I go back and forth a few times, the issue is gone, well, some times at least.
Overview in the piano roll also quite often only works correct horizontal. Pretty often I have to manually zoom out on top or scroll through the key range to find the events. As much as I like S1, this is a nightmare. Support told me, that there is an issue with toggle zoom, bit that it´s not related to it.

View attachment ZOOM.mp4

I use S1 since about a year now. Does any of the more experienced users out there have any tips and tricks hpw to manage this better ?
Maybe the following info from S1 manual could help you, try the [Synchronize Editor to Arrangement] option:

Zoom and Synchronize
You can zoom in or out horizontally in the Piano and Drum views by moving the Time Zoom control, and zoom vertically with the Data Zoom control. In Score view the Time Zoom control zooms both vertically and horizontally, as does a scroll wheel.

The horizontal zoom and timeline of the Note Editor and Arrange View can be linked. To do this, engage the [Synchronize Editor to Arrangement] button on the right side of the Note Editor toolbar.

Thanks for your replies and apologize, that my explanation might have been a bit missleading. I don´t want to synchronize the time line of main window and piano roll. Actually I want the oposit. I have two monitor screens, one shows the main window, the other shows the piano roll. The main window pretty much shows everything of the song and the piano roll should show the content of the event I´ve selected. In theory this works, but it is not relyable, because the zoom state always changes, the content gets out of focus and I always have to manually adjust the zoom. Auto focus is a little help, but a default view would be better for me.

In general zooming in S1 is a bit wonky here and there and I wonder, if I do something wrong. In this video I zoom out three steps (Shift/Ctrl/Mouse Wheel) and I zoom in three steps afterwards agai and S1 looses the focus completely.

View attachment Focus Main Window.mp4

EDIT: One of the unrelyable things is f.e.: I edit a single event from a single instrument in the piano roll, go back and forth to the main window and all over sudden a lot of other instruments are selected too in the piano roll, but there still is only the same single event selected in the main window. This happens randomly.

Last edited:
You know, I left Studio One a few years back partly because I was unhappy with customer service. But I've always liked their Fat Channel and I grabbed the AU/VST version when they made that available. I own the plugin.

Flash forward to today and Fat Channel was not working for some reason, so I went to MyPreSonus, downloaded the Presonus Hub Installer and logged in. It shows nothing in my account. Yet when I go to the online web version, there's Fat Channel, sitting right there, telling me if I want the AU/VST plugins, to get them through—guess what? Presonus Hub.

So I contact customer service, tell them it's not showing up in the hub, and their response is: you're using a version of Studio One that doesn't support Fat Channel, so you need to purchase the plugin from a third-party retailer.

That's it. Nothing more. Even though I told them, in the support ticket, that I was using Reaper, and even though you can plainly see in my account that I already own Fat Channel.

So I'm once again reminded why I left Studio One.

In my mouse side buttons I have assigned two macros:

1714602462309.png

Zoom Overview = Everytime you click it will fit all in the window.

Zoom Selection = Everytime you click it will zoom only the selected track.

We understand that workflows vary from one to another, but these two macros fix everything quickly after you use zoom with the mouse.

(I always love Studio One posts, there's always a disgruntled bitter ex user that needs to contribute nothing but wishing the sole demise of the DAW and their company, a bit sad that it didn't include the word 7ender :grin:)

You know, I left Studio One a few years back partly because I was unhappy with customer service. But I've always liked their Fat Channel and I grabbed the AU/VST version when they made that available. I own the plugin.

Flash forward to today and Fat Channel was not working for some reason, so I went to MyPreSonus, downloaded the Presonus Hub Installer and logged in. It shows nothing in my account. Yet when I go to the online web version, there's Fat Channel, sitting right there, telling me if I want the AU/VST plugins, to get them through—guess what? Presonus Hub.

So I contact customer service, tell them it's not showing up in the hub, and their response is: you're using a version of Studio One that doesn't support Fat Channel, so you need to purchase the plugin from a third-party retailer.

That's it. Nothing more. Even though I told them, in the support ticket, that I was using Reaper, and even though you can plainly see in my account that I already own Fat Channel.

So I'm once again reminded why I left Studio One.
This was indeed our error. For some reason your Fat Channel XT license was not showing up in your account yesterday. Please follow up in the support ticket and we'll get this sorted out.

Flash forward to today and Fat Channel was not working for some reason, so I went to MyPreSonus, downloaded the Presonus Hub Installer and logged in.
Odd. I own Fat Channel as well - but you do not need Hub to install it.

Fat Channel is installed via the main Studio One Menu (Studio One->Studio One Installation).

Just looked at mine - and I have 4 of the 15 possible Fat Channel "options" that are registered to my account - all installed and all working.

There is no Presonus Hub even installed on this machine.

My understanding is that "Hub" is only needed if you want to use specific S1 plugins in other hosts.

S

In my mouse side buttons I have assigned two macros:

1714602462309.png

Zoom Overview = Everytime you click it will fit all in the window.

Zoom Selection = Everytime you click it will zoom only the selected track.

We understand that workflows vary from one to another, but these two macros fix everything quickly after you use zoom with the mouse.

(I always love Studio One posts, there's always a disgruntled bitter ex user that needs to contribute nothing but wishing the sole demise of the DAW and their company, a bit sad that it didn't include the word 7ender :grin:)
Thanks, but I'm aware of this. I have set up several zoom options as short cuts and while it is a work around, it's still not totally satisfying. Overview only works for one selected event. F.e. if you edit the whole string section and use overview, it distroys your zoom state and you only see the overview of 1st or 2nd violins or violas, celli or basses. What ever was selected last.
And it's not reliable either. I might select overview for 1st violins, go back and forth to other instruments and when I come back to 1st violins, the zoom sometimes is completely different again.
Overview also is not totally reliable. It's perfect in the main window, but in the piano roll, the vertical view is not always complete.

Odd. I own Fat Channel as well - but you do not need Hub to install it.

Fat Channel is installed via the main Studio One Menu (Studio One->Studio One Installation).
I'm not installing it in Studio One. I won't use Studio One anymore. They make a AU/VST version available for use in other DAWs. That's what I want to download.

But get this. After setting Presonus's customer service straight about what I want, they offered to do a REMOTE TAKEOVER of my computer to figure out the problem.

WTF?

But get this. After setting Presonus's customer service straight about what I want, they offered to do a REMOTE TAKEOVER of my computer to figure out the problem.

WTF?
I'm not sure if it's a language thing and I'm not understanding your post correctly. But are you just complaining that PreSonus support acknowledged an error and offered you a remote session to help you with your problem?

Reactions: EgM
Got it. Could not really tell what the target was in post #8.

S
Problem solved by me, apparently. I went to my online account and change my email address to a different one, even though the previous one was fine. With the new email login on Presonus Hub, Fat Channel now appears. So freaking weird.

I wish these companies would just let us download the plugins from the website and install them ourselves. I wouldn't have spent the last day trying to figure this shit out.

I'm not sure if it's a language thing and I'm not understanding your post correctly. But are you just complaining that PreSonus support acknowledged an error and offered you a remote session to help you with your problem?
Yes. That's what they did. And there is zero chance I'd ever let anyone connect remotely to my computer. That is one of the biggest security risks there is. Fortunately, I was able to resolve the issue on my own.

Yes. That's what they did. And there is zero chance I'd ever let anyone connect remotely to my computer. That is one of the biggest security risks there is. Fortunately, I was able to resolve the issue on my own.
So you're complaining that they offered to find the error, that you were logged in with the wrong account in PreSonus Hub. And now you're complaining that it's supposedly not you but their system?

Okay, then we know.

So you're complaining that they offered to find the error, that you were logged in with the wrong account in PreSonus Hub. And now you're complaining that it's supposedly not you but their system?

Okay, then we know.
No, I wasn't logged into the wrong account. I went to the website and changed the email address of my EXISTING account. The only account I have. Not a different account.

I'm complaining because a) this should never have been an issue in the first place; and b) no developer should be asking to connect to your computer remotely. That simply isn't safe from a security perspective. Maybe you don't have an issue with a stranger rooting around in your computer, but I do.

But I'm glad you think this is funny.

Top Bottom