What's new

Studio chairs

No chair is worth 1k on it's own, but if it helps you get through a job it might be worth way more.
You pay for service and easy acces to aftermarket parts as well.
Something breaks? No need to throw the chair out.

Even the refurbished ones come with 5 year warranty usually.
The first chair I got had a spring that was noisy when leaning back, emailed the company and had a brand new chair a week later, ymmv.

I have a love/hate relationship with mine.
I disagree that it forces you to sit correctly, it's very easy to slump still on days when you're tired.
But if you sit correctly, in the back of the chair with your back following the contour and your arms resting on the right height it can be very comfortable for long stretches.

Also enjoy the easy cleaning & additional ventilation during summer due to the mesh.
But there are plenty of downsides as well, as the steel frame will get really cold in the winter if you live up north. You might want to get a little pillow or blanket to keep some heat trapped.

Also, if the chair is too far from the floor (you're sitting to high) the edge and the foam pillow will press against the back of your leg hard, eventually causing real numbness.
Lowering the chair relieved all that.

And the armrests are just plain stupid, really unacceptable.
When tilting backwards, your hands face the ceiling and using forward tilt their aimed to lace your shoes.
They should be adjustable, including the option to easily slide them out of the way (or at least take them off) if you want to do guitar stuff.
I get that wasn't what it was designed for but still..

But seriously, no chair is a valid substitute for exercise to keep that core strong and those joints mobile.

Ditch the chair and get a standing desk. Best decision I ever made. I'm more productive, my back is NEVER sore and I have more energy.

And before you make the argument against this regarding mixing: I mix standing up and then I sit in the 'mix position' to check things. I usually make small tweaks but honestly 99% of the time my 'standing mixes' translate very closely.

Ditch the chair and get a standing desk. Best decision I ever made. I'm more productive, my back is NEVER sore and I have more energy.

And before you make the argument against this regarding mixing: I mix standing up and then I sit in the 'mix position' to check things. I usually make small tweaks but honestly 99% of the time my 'standing mixes' translate very closely.

I tried that (went to my friends standing desk) and guess what...

Can’t Handle having go stand for more than 10 minutes LOL

No chair is worth 1k on it's own, but if it helps you get through a job it might be worth way more.
You pay for service and easy acces to aftermarket parts as well.
Something breaks? No need to throw the chair out.

Even the refurbished ones come with 5 year warranty usually.
The first chair I got had a spring that was noisy when leaning back, emailed the company and had a brand new chair a week later, ymmv.

I have a love/hate relationship with mine.
I disagree that it forces you to sit correctly, it's very easy to slump still on days when you're tired.
But if you sit correctly, in the back of the chair with your back following the contour and your arms resting on the right height it can be very comfortable for long stretches.

Also enjoy the easy cleaning & additional ventilation during summer due to the mesh.
But there are plenty of downsides as well, as the steel frame will get really cold in the winter if you live up north. You might want to get a little pillow or blanket to keep some heat trapped.

Also, if the chair is too far from the floor (you're sitting to high) the edge and the foam pillow will press against the back of your leg hard, eventually causing real numbness.
Lowering the chair relieved all that.

And the armrests are just plain stupid, really unacceptable.
When tilting backwards, your hands face the ceiling and using forward tilt their aimed to lace your shoes.
They should be adjustable, including the option to easily slide them out of the way (or at least take them off) if you want to do guitar stuff.
I get that wasn't what it was designed for but still..

But seriously, no chair is a valid substitute for exercise to keep that core strong and those joints mobile.

The one you have is an aeron?

I own an aeron chair, but, got the ergohuman and I have to confess I prefer it over the aeron, because of the lumbar support.
It costs around $600
Amazon product ASIN B00GD9FD9Ahttps://www.buerostuhl24.com/ERGOHUMAN-BASE-ONE-Netz-Luxus-Chefsessel.html

But, you'll have to try what fits you best! :)

I haven’t found a place to try out the ergo human. But is the mesh made of 50% plastic elastic bands? It would sure annoy the hell out of my any part of my skin that goes in contact with it especially because I wear shorts in studios

I have a cool chair, but I use a low stool with a pillow in the control room. it is easier to have access to all gears.

I've got an update!!!

I returned my Embody chair after a month of testing it out. It was ergonomic but just too uncomfortable. I tend to be distracted and want to take a break by watching netflix once in a while and I just couldn't relax in that chair.

So I got the Steelcase Leap with Headrest. So far so good! The back moves with you like the Embody except it's softer and easier on my back.

I'm about to buy an Aeron.
How solid are they? I'm considering buying a refurbished one, but those are usually out of warranty. If they are as solid as people say they are maybe it's not such a big deal. Pretty pricey for new ones.. especially in Norway. ~$1900 for a new, remastered Aeron :shocked:

How solid are they? I'm considering buying a refurbished one, but those are usually out of warranty. If they are as solid as people say they are maybe it's not such a big deal. Pretty pricey for new ones.. especially in Norway. ~$1900 for a new, remastered Aeron :shocked:
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Aeron. If you're near a city, there's often large office spaces that sell their old aerons in bulk. At least, that was the case in Sydney, and how I got my one.

Have you tried sitting in one?

Here are potential problems I found Aerons might have.

The front edge of the seat is plastic so your leg might feel uncomfortable. Depends on your body type.

There isn’t too much adjustments on the lumbar support, whichever option of that you have on the aeron. Some version allows height adjustment some allow tension but many have felt the tension don’t make much difference. The steelcase leap has many notches this adjustment for depth and height.

If you like leaning back, your shoulder blades are going to feel the plastic edges of the back rest

I don’t feel like the steelcase leap chair is perfect either because it’s lacking the the pelvic support but it’s not a big deal to me since I lean back

Best of luck. Once you find the right chair for you you will never have to divorce and marry again haha!

bump. Desperately need a new chair as my current one is....well...old and falling apart.

Eyeing the humanscale Freedom - anyone used it?

Looking for a good ergo chair that's comfortable. I was looking at some 'gaming' office chairs earlier, as I liked the adjust-ability, but I just can't get over the fact they seem like a gimmicky idea.

For reference, I'm a smaller guy, if anyone has any pointers/ideas.

Sorry for the thread bump.
Looking for a chair now, on refurb.
(My old Ikea squeaks more than Flipper the dolphin)

My requirements :
- Can accommodate long sessions (regular home working hours + night music session)
- Ergonomic (I suffer from lower back pain)
- Arm rests can be adjusted so that I can play guitar or bass seating
- Fit to small body (165cm / 65kg)

Any suggestion welcome.

Bonus : if you know a good place to try/buy in Paris, I’m in!

Apologies for another thread bump, but has anyone tried the Carl Tatz chairs?
(broken link removed)

I just heard about these this week, just as I realized hoe awful my current chair has gotten.

Top Bottom