What's new

Studio chairs

I just went to design within reach to try it out again. The C is is a bit big for me and B is too small for me.

I'm probably going to buy the Embody. It didn't feel right at first but the longer I sat on it my back felt better. And once I stand up I feel like my back has been fixed by the chair.

You're reading way more into this than there is.
I'm just slumping down 'cause I'm lazy.

Oops I tend to do that often. I can't believe herman millers are making you do that though, can't you just let the chair lean back with you? maybe you hate having things against your thighs? I also slump down all the time cuz I'm lazy and I'm still sitting on cheap chairs so the back rest isn't comfy.

Ive used the Herman Miller Mirra chair for 2 years and enjoyes it.

I just went to try that chair out. It's not a bad chair but less comfy than the Aeron. It's actually perfect size for me as I fit right in between the B or C of Aeron and Mirra 2 is exactly that size. But it doens't have the sacral bone support that I need like the Aeron or Embody provides....

I just went to design within reach to try it out again. The C is is a bit big for me and B is too small for me.

I'm probably going to buy the Embody. It didn't feel right at first but the longer I sat on it my back felt better. And once I stand up I feel like my back has been fixed by the chair.
I like to combine standing up and sitting. My workspace is designed with that in mind. I also work standing up more than sitting in the aeron.

So this thread made me check my local Craigslist and I just bought a brand new Mirra 2 with every feature for $385. Some rich guy had 20 of them and was blowing them out. I didn't ask too many questions :)

Great chair. Feel like I got the deal of the century...and it's not even close to Black Friday.... ;)

So this thread made me check my local Craigslist and I just bought a brand new Mirra 2 with every feature for $385. Some rich guy had 20 of them and was blowing them out. I didn't ask too many questions :)

Great chair. Feel like I got the deal of the century...and it's not even close to Black Friday.... ;)

haha nice. I hope it works out. For me it didn't feel right because I feel like my tail bone wasn't supported.

Some people also didn't like the embody because they feel their tail bone has too much force on it but for me it felt right and stopped my joints from bending.

I like to combine standing up and sitting. My workspace is designed with that in mind. I also work standing up more than sitting in the aeron.

standing desks are another at least $500..... if the embody works for me then I'll never even have to stand!

For me it didn't feel right because I feel like my tail bone wasn't supported.
Did you try the adjustable lumbar support feature? Works great for that, IMO. And the ability to hinge forward is just awesome for a DAW workstation...my back stays neutral in all positions, really.

Did you try the adjustable lumbar support feature? Works great for that, IMO. And the ability to hinge forward is just awesome for a DAW workstation...my back stays neutral in all positions, really.

The lumbar support is the problem. It doesn't come with the posture fit like the aeron has as an option and the sacral support is standard in the embody. That is what I think is important if you sit more than hours a day. All your body weight is going to compress the joints all the way down to the last bone that holds ur upper body. Just not enough with a lumbar support when there's nothing below it

I've dealt with office chairs for 30 years in my day job as an engineer. Since the company has a huge selection I've been able to try just about everything. Since I'm a musician and am critically concerned with overuse issues I've also deeply looked into ergo issues (we have a dedicated ergo department at work, but unfortunately they just taught me that mainstream ergo is somewhat clueless)

General points:

• When looking for a chair you can't go by first impressions. Many a chair I've tried that felt great at first but became a burden after six months of use.
  • You want maximal openness and freedom of movement. The important thing isn't 'correct posture' but flexible posture. Our bodies appear to have evolved to require lots of changing position.
  • Since DAW work usually involves a piano keyboard that has special considerations too. In particular having support for lots of computer and piano keyboard use is the main requirement (e.g. you need to have piano players posture', or something close).
  • In general I've found the Balance method the best at how to carry yourself in a chair or standing
  • What you want is the 'dressage riders' position, you want a small forward tilt to the pelvis to give you spine freedom and the natural curvature. So you want a chair that supports seat pan tilting.
FWIW my opinion from using all these chairs (and more) for greater than 1 year

Herman Miller Aeron
Cons: These are in the 'feel great at first but not for long term'. Problem with this one is it locks you into a position, the adjustability of the arms is ridiculous, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen those stupid little 'lower back support' bumpers come off. Because for some reason they became popular the price is jacked up now too. For piano master keyboard it would be a disaster IMO. I'm sure people will be upset at me for this, but I spent years in this chair and learned all of it's problems - if you like it then ignore my view here.

Steelcase Leap
Pros: Great chair, comfortable with a degree of openness. I use this for composing at a desk (paper based)
Cons: Doesn't have seat pan tilting

Steelcase Criterion
Pros: Best chair overall, most open, most adjustable I've found and made to survive a nuclear blast. Importantly it has the seat pan tilt control, widely used and sold so can easily be bought used or for a decent price (for a high end office chair). I use this at my DAW
Cons: Rather heavy. Does not give an exciting impression at first, but for long term I've found it the best.

I've been in a Mirra 2 for a week now and was reminded that adjusting to a new chair can come with some (rather normal) aches and pains as your body and spine adjust to a better posture. Took about 3 days to feel "normal" again, but with much better baseline spinal alignment.

This chair has features that provide that freedom of motion @danbo describes. Loving it.

I've dealt with office chairs for 30 years in my day job as an engineer. Since the company has a huge selection I've been able to try just about everything. Since I'm a musician and am critically concerned with overuse issues I've also deeply looked into ergo issues (we have a dedicated ergo department at work, but unfortunately they just taught me that mainstream ergo is somewhat clueless)

General points:

• When looking for a chair you can't go by first impressions. Many a chair I've tried that felt great at first but became a burden after six months of use.
  • You want maximal openness and freedom of movement. The important thing isn't 'correct posture' but flexible posture. Our bodies appear to have evolved to require lots of changing position.
  • Since DAW work usually involves a piano keyboard that has special considerations too. In particular having support for lots of computer and piano keyboard use is the main requirement (e.g. you need to have piano players posture', or something close).
  • In general I've found the Balance method the best at how to carry yourself in a chair or standing
  • What you want is the 'dressage riders' position, you want a small forward tilt to the pelvis to give you spine freedom and the natural curvature. So you want a chair that supports seat pan tilting.

Herman Miller Aeron
Cons: These are in the 'feel great at first but not for long term'. Problem with this one is it locks you into a position, the adjustability of the arms is ridiculous, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen those stupid little 'lower back support' bumpers come off. Because for some reason they became popular the price is jacked up now too. For piano master keyboard it would be a disaster IMO. I'm sure people will be upset at me for this, but I spent years in this chair and learned all of it's problems - if you like it then ignore my view here.

Steelcase Leap
Pros: Great chair, comfortable with a degree of openness. I use this for composing at a desk (paper based)

Steelcase Criterion
Pros: Best chair overall, most open, most adjustable I've found and made to survive a nuclear blast. Importantly it has the seat pan tilt control, widely used and sold so can easily be bought used or for a decent price (for a high end office chair). I use this at my DAW
Cons: Rather heavy. Does not give an exciting impression at first, but for long term I've found it the best.
Thanks a lot

I ordered my self an herman miller embody, it will arrive in 2 days. Will see how it holds up!

If you sit all day (INDOORS) in a chair, no matter how comfortable, you will have a huge belly, and a jello physique like Zimmer by the time you're 50+. To rest is to rust, just say no! Play this GAME and SURVIVE/THRIVE. Heath is OUR only TRUE Wealth....

General points:

Herman Miller Aeron

Steelcase Leap

Steelcase Criterion

As for the Criterion, I just can't imagine anything but it will not properly support your back as there is a huge hole between the backrest and the chair seat. I had that problem with an office depot chair exactly like that but with mesh.

If you sit all day (INDOORS) in a chair, no matter how comfortable, you will have a huge belly, and a jello physique like Zimmer by the time you're 50+. To rest is to rust, just say no! Play this GAME and SURVIVE/THRIVE. Heath is OUR only TRUE Wealth....

play which game? I already have that belly and I'm 30. It's all good, when it comes to music I give it all I've got, but won't be able to do it if my spine is to be hurt from it. THe belly problem also comes from lumbar lordosis (caused from pressure in teh lower spine). So the S curve becomes more exaggerrated when you stand, eventually all the fat grows there too. People who have wide shoulders tend to gain weight in their whole body but people without wide shoulders tend to gain weight mostly in thighs and the belly. So the S curve really explains it.

As for the Criterion, I just can't imagine anything but it will not properly support your back as there is a huge hole between the backrest and the chair seat. I had that problem with an office depot chair exactly like that but with mesh.

That's at the base of your spine, the final sacral vertebrae are fused to your pelvis, they certainly don't need support. Also if you look into the Balance research you find that that bottom forward tilt from the sacral is where most of the tilt is, the rest of the spine should be relatively straight (as it is in pre 1920 West or non westernized countries) Finally the back rest moves up and down so you can put it where you want, certainly you can get full coverage if you think you want that.

Most of the time I'm not even on the back rest, certainly not while playing the piano. Again consider pianists or dressage horse riders who can sit upright and comfortably all day long.

That's at the base of your spine, the final sacral vertebrae are fused to your pelvis, they certainly don't need support. Also if you look into the Balance research you find that that bottom forward tilt from the sacral is where most of the tilt is, the rest of the spine should be relatively straight (as it is in pre 1920 West or non westernized countries) Finally the back rest moves up and down so you can put it where you want, certainly you can get full coverage if you think you want that.

Most of the time I'm not even on the back rest, certainly not while playing the piano. Again consider pianists or dressage horse riders who can sit upright and comfortably all day long.

you most certainly do need the sacral support that's why Herman Miller's new (2016) Aeron has the posture fit SL option (sacral/lumbar). Also, the rest of the spine has an S curve, maybe straight for some.

I play piano and cello for 25 years now, it is exhausting having to keep the back straight so I often use couch pillows, it helps. Whenever I don't, I fall into a posture that hurts my lower back.

Everyone is different I think

you most certainly do need the sacral support that's why Herman Miller's new (2016) Aeron has the posture fit SL option (sacral/lumbar).

Your sacral vertebrae S1-5 is fused to your pelvis, as your pelvis goes so do those, no question. Your spine then balances on top of that. The posture fit is another IMO bad design by HM (not all of their stuff is bad, I have three of their top end sit stand desks). It’s actually a lumbar support and don’t do anything for the pelvis spine base which is controlled by the seat pan.

My point is that with a proper sacral orientation your lumbar and the rest naturally orient correctly in response, it’s all in the link above. Anyhow just putting the results of my research out there for consideration, not looking for an argument and be free to disagree.

Your sacral vertebrae S1-5 is fused to your pelvis, as your pelvis goes so do those, no question. Your spine then balances on top of that. The posture fit is another IMO bad design by HM (not all of their stuff is bad, I have three of their top end sit stand desks). It’s actually a lumbar support and don’t do anything for the pelvis spine base which is controlled by the seat pan.

My point is that with a proper sacral orientation your lumbar and the rest naturally orient correctly in response, it’s all in the link above. Anyhow just putting the results of my research out there for consideration, not looking for an argument and be free to disagree.

Not looking for an argument here either so I stated saying I think everybody's different. Some people may have more back problems than others. For the ones that have back problems may have weak muscles somewhere along their spines. For someone with a perfect back, it may be very easy for you to sit straight and not need a back rest or something to keep your lumbar forward.

I didn't feel like the Aeron's posture fit could help me sit correctly either (so maybe you're right about the bad design), however I tried the embody chair (and the SL support is standard in that chair), sat on it for almost an hour at the showroom and found that it works pretty well for me.

Anyways, Herman Miller does have extensive research and experience on what an office chair needs to be for a lot of people, I believe that. However there are some people that will find a $50 chair work better than any Herman Millers for them.

I was wondering what made you buy their sit stand desk? it's so expensive from them when you could just get one from Autonomous that functions exactly the same way?

Top Bottom