What's new

StaffPad - Now Available for IPad with Major Sample Libraries Available

Is it possible to solo each staff and render just that part to audio, one staff at a time, in order to build individual stems for export to a DAW for further mixing and mastering?

As I understand it, this is a feature that will be implemented later down the road... I think they didn’t get it included in time for the release. The other thing this will help is people using a lower-spec iPad or Surface... you’ll be able to take it to a faster machine for assembly.

Is it possible to solo each staff and render just that part to audio, one staff at a time, in order to build individual stems for export to a DAW for further mixing and mastering?

Yes.
While waiting for the automatic stem generation feature, I’m soloing and exporting section by section.
You can do it instrument by instrument if you like...it’s a bit more tedious but it works.

Hi, as i don't have nor Ipad or Surface, i tried StaffPad on Windows 10 64 pro 1909 with a wacom graphic tablet to test it. For now, i can enter simple quarter and more longer notes, dynamics via text and menu, but StaffPad doesn't recognize 8ths and shorter notes and rests, legato and tie, is there someone that tried also on windows with a graphic tablet ?
Also, i couldn't resist in buying berlin strings, berlin woodwinds and cinebrass, so i'm stuck with surface if i want to buy a proper tablet. Could the happy surface users share their model and specs ?
Do you think that the i5 with 8go and 256go Ssd versions of surfaces are enough for full orchestral works, or all of you recommend the i7 versions with 16go ram.

Apart from that problem, a dream come true and i encourage the developpers to continue and add more features and better recognition as i think this app IS a real game changer !

Thanks in advance, meaks !

I would like to second that question (again), especially if only 8GB of RAM (there are older i7 with that amount, too) is an impediment to a smooth functioning of a "loaded" Staffpad.

Hi, as i don't have nor Ipad or Surface, i tried StaffPad on Windows 10 64 pro 1909 with a wacom graphic tablet to test it. For now, i can enter simple quarter and more longer notes, dynamics via text and menu, but StaffPad doesn't recognize 8ths and shorter notes and rests, legato and tie, is there someone that tried also on windows with a graphic tablet ?
Also, i couldn't resist in buying berlin strings, berlin woodwinds and cinebrass, so i'm stuck with surface if i want to buy a proper tablet. Could the happy surface users share their model and specs ?
Do you think that the i5 with 8go and 256go Ssd versions of surfaces are enough for full orchestral works, or all of you recommend the i7 versions with 16go ram.

Apart from that problem, a dream come true and i encourage the developpers to continue and add more features and better recognition as i think this app IS a real game changer !

Thanks in advance, meaks !
I don’t own any third library but I am using surface pro 4 and It runs well. A bit laggy when something else is running in the background like windows update, windows security scan etc. But appart from that I don’t have any performance issue.

I was notified by a member from the Staffpad group at Facebook, that Berlin B and D has some noise, hiss, at the P dynamics. I have noticed this before now. I had to turn up the volume, it sound quite strange. I hope for an update.

Edit: I have just mail Staffpad concerning the noisy samples in Berlin D and B.
Indeed they have ...I thought that maybe the drawing will do, but as I said previously , they need to revisit the samples .....they simply are not clean enough !

PS: the process of drawing dynmic lines becomes quite tedious if the piece is a bit complicated and has a lot of inner voices and pedals ...

Surface pro 4 i5 processor
8gb of ram
256 ssd
thank you. Now if you could go buy all those libraries, so we can see how you fare with those specs... (just kidding).
The dilemma in buying older surfaces seems to be in the trade-off between higher-rated processors and newer generations. A gen.4 (or higher) i5 may well outclass an older i7, depending on the use profile- e.g., in single core performance, the i7 remains ahead, even if dated... clock speeds (also for the GPU) seem to favor the newer i5 in that comparison.

thank you. Now if you could go buy all those libraries, so we can see how you fare with those specs... (just kidding).
The dilemma in buying older surfaces seems to be in the trade-off between higher-rated processors and newer generations. A gen.4 (or higher) i5 may well outclass an older i7, depending on the use profile- e.g., in single core performance, the i7 remains ahead, even if dated... clock speeds (also for the GPU) seem to favor the newer i5 in that comparison.
😄 That’s what I’m afraid. My wallet will suffer. For my case, I think I will wait for april and buy the actual version of ipad pro. It will be cheaper as new generation will arrive normally. Then I could buy third libraries. Just for staffpad, I prefer an ipad.
But if I had to buy a newer generation of surface pro, I would go for a i5 processor.

Does anyone know how to coax out different types of vibrato (especially non-vibrato) from Berlin Strings in StaffPad? The library description specifically mentions multiple “vibrato types”, but I haven’t been able to get those sections to produce anything other than a standard vibrato.

Reactions: JF
I’ve tried unsuccessfully to play demos and walkthroughs on my iPad.... video plays, but no sound (yes, my volume is up, and I’ve even closed all other apps to ensure nothing else is using audio...)
Weird.

I’ve tried unsuccessfully to play demos and walkthroughs on my iPad.... video plays, but no sound (yes, my volume is up, and I’ve even closed all other apps to ensure nothing else is using audio...)
Weird.
Have you tried to reboot your device? Things can go awry. Recently my iPad Pro started crashing all over the place after having been rock solid since I bought it a couple of years ago. A reboot fixed it.

Have you tried to reboot your device? Things can go awry. Recently my iPad Pro started crashing all over the place after having been rock solid since I bought it a couple of years ago. A reboot fixed it.
Good idea, Nickie...

But, that didn’t help either. Weird.

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

FYI, StaffPad has updated on Windows to 3.0.9.0, this update fixes all the problems i had on my particular setup (No Surface nor Ipad, Regular PC, WACOM graphic tablet).

So, for those interested, StaffPad works very well on PC with Windows 1909 and a drawing tablet, the only problem is scrolling, but i think a good drawing tablet should resolve it.
I'll stay with that setup for now as i don't have enough money to buy a decent Surface pro 7 model for StaffPad.

Anyway, thanks to the developpers, as i tried for years now to have a notation software working with good Library sounds, and i tried with Sibelius, Sibelius directly to Cubase and Dorico, but it never worked the way StaffPad works.

Meaks.

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

FYI, StaffPad has updated on Windows to 3.0.9.0, this update fixes all the problems i had on my particular setup (No Surface nor Ipad, Regular PC, WACOM graphic tablet).

So, for those interested, StaffPad works very well on PC with Windows 1909 and a drawing tablet, the only problem is scrolling, but i think a good drawing tablet should resolve it.
I'll stay with that setup for now as i don't have enough money to buy a decent Surface pro 7 model for StaffPad.

Anyway, thanks to the developpers, as i tried for years now to have a notation software working with good Library sounds, and i tried with Sibelius, Sibelius directly to Cubase and Dorico, but it never worked the way StaffPad works.

Meaks.
Hi,
Could you please list the problems you think has been resolved with this version?
Thanks

Sure,

Now i can write 8ths, 16ths (Hard) rests and notes. Tie and legato works well, dynamics too (except mp,mf, ff, fff, they are hardly recognized), i can write chords, ties or legato between notes in chords, staccato, accent, marcato works well too, so far everything i needed has been recognized or inserted by text.
The only problems...
i can't scroll and zoom with my drawing tablet, so i use mouse and keyboard, i don't know if its possible with another particular drawing tablet model.
I can't erase by pressure with my pen as its an old WACOM (Volito), maybe with a newer one !

Joined, a small part of the score i did with StaffPad on an i7 Windows 1909 PC with an old WACOM drawing tablet, i joined the mp3 too, the sounds are Berlin Strings, Berlin Woodwinds, Cinebrass and Cineperc.

As i'm testing, i'm just writing as an exercise so the music is quite simple, just to see how StaffPad reacts, made in 3 Hours (to have an idea of the workflow).

Meaks.

Test Staffpad Windows 10 1909.png

Attachments

• StaffPad Template 230220.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • Staffpad Template 230220 Full Score.pdf
    503.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Sure,

Now i can write 8ths, 16ths (Hard) rests and notes. Tie and legato works well, dynamics too (except mp,mf, ff, fff, they are hardly recognized), i can write chords, ties or legato between notes in chords, staccato, accent, marcato works well too, so far everything i needed has been recognized or inserted by text.
The only problems...
i can't scroll and zoom with my drawing tablet, so i use mouse and keyboard, i don't know if its possible with another particular drawing tablet model.
I can't erase by pressure with my pen as its an old WACOM (Volito), maybe with a newer one !

Joined, a small part of the score i did with StaffPad on an i7 Windows 1909 PC with an old WACOM drawing tablet, i joined the mp3 too, the sounds are Berlin Strings, Berlin Woodwinds, Cinebrass and Cineperc.

As i'm testing, i'm just writing as an exercise so the music is quite simple, just to see how StaffPad reacts, made in 3 Hours (to have an idea of the workflow).

Meaks.

Thanks! I will listen to the demo tonight.

Last edited:
Beautiful, Meaks!

Sure,

The only problems...

Meaks.

I'm using Staffpad for iPad, but this is very unstable now even if they've updated versions. When I draw music score and try to save it, it just freezes and I have to restart the app. After restarting, my last works were not (automatically) saved, and I wasted whole hour. I already spend a lot of money, this is not a cheap app, but I did not expect this kind of major errors with a lot of money!

Top Bottom