What's new

StaffPad - Now Available for IPad with Major Sample Libraries Available

Unfortunately this is the case even with the full BS library on kontakt (huge volume difference between short and sustain and some portamento issues).
So is the ultimate bundle then: Berlin strings, Berlin woods, CinePercussion and Spitfire Brass?

So is the ultimate bundle then: Berlin strings, Berlin woods, CinePercussion and Spitfire Brass?
I love the Berlin Brass personally but I’m admittedly doing more concert works so I don’t need hyped up brass. I’m eventually planning on adding CineSamples and Spitfire libraries however

My Berlin Brass library just disappeared. Completely unavailable in the instrument list and won’t download again from the store. Scores that use Berlin Brass function fine but the instruments are no longer available to add to a score. Anyone have this issue?

Ive discussed it with staffpad support and they suggested it would be fixed by simply restarting the app which is not the case. Haven’t heard from them since.

I want to use the Berlin Brass I paid for and not have to buy another brass lib.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

My Berlin Brass library just disappeared. Completely unavailable in the instrument list and won’t download again from the store. Scores that use Berlin Brass function fine but the instruments are no longer available to add to a score. Anyone have this issue?

Ive discussed it with staffpad support and they suggested it would be fixed by simply restarting the app which is not the case. Haven’t heard from them since.

I want to use the Berlin Brass I paid for and not have to buy another brass lib.

Any suggestions/thoughts?
I had the same problem twice.
First time I completely powered off the ipad and when restarted the library was there. Second time I had to restore purchases.
Never happened again after installing 1.0.3.

How are the dynamics with Berlin brass?
I think they sound great. Can get very loud if need be. More classical tone than film scoring but brighter and more buzzy than SF brass in my opinion. I nice middle ground between CineBrass and SF brass

Anyone know how to achieve the Bartok pizz for Spitfire strings? That articulation is not listed in the symbols palette and drawing the standard notation for it (circle with vertical line at the top) is not recognized. The Bartok pizz is listed as an included articulation for Spitfire.

this is the boomb
I think they sound great. Can get very loud if need be. More classical tone than film scoring but brighter and more buzzy than SF brass in my opinion. I nice middle ground between CineBrass and SF brass

Could you may post a comparison? Thanks

I have the same problem. I dowloaded the following libraries: OT Woodwinds, Brass, Strings, Cinestrings Solo, CinePercussions, Spitfire Organ. I downloaded each library in ca. 2 minutes, but with OT Brass I always had great problems. I had to try and try more times. The download started and then stopped. Only one time I could download it after 4 hours! Then it went lost in a restore. Now the download never starts. I wrote to the Zendesk, I hope they will fix the problem.

Apart from that, I'm very happy with the quality of the app and of the libraries. It's a dream to compose anywhere on a little tablet.

Anyone know how to achieve the Bartok pizz for Spitfire strings? That articulation is not listed in the symbols palette and drawing the standard notation for it (circle with vertical line at the top) is not recognized. The Bartok pizz is listed as an included articulation for Spitfire.

And the normal pizzicato?

I had the same problem twice.
First time I completely powered off the ipad and when restarted the library was there. Second time I had to restore purchases.
Never happened again after installing 1.0.3.

Thanks. Updated to 1.0.3 and still have the problem. Tried restarting several times and no successs. Berlin Brass won’t download and doesn’t show up in my instrument list. Scores that already have BB play fine so I know the library exists, the app just doesn’t think it does. VERY frustrating.

Now, I just noticed my Berlin Strings is gone as well. What the HELL?? I love the app and think it will totally change my workflow but FFS, the Store functionality is NOT ready for prime time.

Updated version- - - - - - -

I wrote a B part and adjusted the cc expression curve.
Also turned off background updating for several apps in iPads settings. So now the Berlin Steinway D plays without drop outs 🙂.
The notation lacks “natural” signs- I can’t draw them :-/.

A little piano piece (chord progression 1-6-2-5) , written for piano students.

Nice piece , Congrats ! However, on my iPad 12.9 3rd gen, Berlin Piano samples are unclear at,lets say, f and even mf at some points. Looks like the samples are more powerful than what speakers can do ... I do not know , but they definitely have some asperities ...

Nice piece , Congrats ! However, on my iPad 12.9 3rd gen, Berlin Piano samples are unclear at,lets say, f and even mf at some points. Looks like the samples are more powerful than what speakers can do ... I do not know , but they definitely have some asperities ...
Thank you Foxby.
I use a 2. gen iPad pro 12.9
Do you draw the expression curve or only use dynamic marks? I find there are to great jumps from p-mf-f.
Im not sure I got the point?

Thank you Foxby.
I use a 2. gen iPad pro 12.9
Do you draw the expression curve or only use dynamic marks? I find there are to great jumps from p-mf-f.
Im not sure I got the point?
Thank you for your fast response Ole. I have used the dynamic marks only... So , from what you have said, the best way to insert dynamics, is to draw them with the expression curve! That is great, thanks a lot ! However , at forte ,is the piano clear or have you experienced some distorted output ... kind of audio clipping .. I cannot better describe it, maybe I will post a short fragment!
Bogdan

Ah now I got it.
yes, forte is very loud (painful sound).
I think it is best to write the dynamics p-mf-f first and the draw the expression lane/curve.
I hope Orchestral tools will update the piano collection, I dont think it is there usual standard....

Ah now I got it.
yes, forte is very loud (painful sound).
I think it is best to write the dynamics p-mf-f first and the draw the expression lane/curve.
I hope Orchestral tools will update the piano collection, I dont think it is there usual standard....
Ohh.. thanks , at least my ears were not dreaming... Yes , that is the problem .. they are very loud , uncontrollably loud almost with dynamic marks . And YES , the only way to get around this is only by writing dynamic curves ! The expressivity is there , maybe the developers are going to revisit the samples !!

So ... doesn't it seem that if we own these libraries we should get them at a discount? I wouldn't go so far as to say "free" ... but just seems current customers of these products aren't being considered in the pricing.

So ... doesn't it seem that if we own these libraries we should get them at a discount? I wouldn't go so far as to say "free" ... but just seems current customers of these products aren't being considered in the pricing.

I asked David about this. He said with the Apple in-app purchase structure, there's no latitude for a discount for prior owners. Would like to see this as well, but it sounds like it won't happen. I did spend time watching all the third-party walk-through videos today, and have to say, it seems like they've done a good job in terms of features and customizing. If you consider Staffpad, the third-party library vendor and Apple all get a portion of the price, it's not a large amount for any one of them.

Ohh.. thanks , at least my ears were not dreaming... Yes , that is the problem .. they are very loud , uncontrollably loud almost with dynamic marks . And YES , the only way to get around this is only by writing dynamic curves ! The expressivity is there , maybe the developers are going to revisit the samples !!
I was notified by a member from the Staffpad group at Facebook, that Berlin B and D has some noise, hiss, at the P dynamics. I have noticed this before now. I had to turn up the volume, it sound quite strange. I hope for an update.

Edit: I have just mail Staffpad concerning the noisy samples in Berlin D and B.

Last edited:
Is it possible to solo each staff and render just that part to audio, one staff at a time, in order to build individual stems for export to a DAW for further mixing and mastering?

Top Bottom