What's new

Spitfire Westworld Competition SPINOFF - Composition Discussion, Advice and Examples

More or less how I expect it to be done. If I'm listening around for good entries, I'll listen for 5 seconds starting around where they get shot at in the intro. If it's incredibly boring or misplaced, I'll move the time marker to where Caleb trips and listen another 5. If it's also boring, I'll skip again to the chase right after his trip. And if that too is boring, then onto the next video. Thus I give a video about 15 seconds of listening, plus or minus a few, to know whether it's decent or not. If it ain't decent, it ain't got a chance to be a winner, so into the dustbin. If it is good, or stands out, then (if I were a judge) I'd place it into a higher category, one that deserves more review time, probably by a different person. Etc.

I expect they'll have a pool of 100 or so truly excellent entries by the last few days of judging. Then it will be hard to decide amongst these as they will all be so incredibly good, that they'll probably start removing entries for having a mistake or a weak moment, until they can distill it down to only a handful, of which they'll pick 6.

The big judges (the named ones who are celebrities of certain standing) will almost definitely only be involved once there are 100 (or less) entries in the pool. They're busy people and there's no way they'd have time to watch all these videos even for 15 seconds, let alone to completion. So that's how I'd run the judgement process logistically. There would also be guidelines as to how the assistant judges would make decisions about musical quality, and ideally they'd have some level of knowledge of film music to be able to be critical and decide what works and what doesn't.
I agree with this. How we I would be shocked if the any of the judges listened to anything less then the final twenty, maybe even less.

It's time to stop tweaking it just release it into the wild. If anyone is interested, here's my submission...

Nice! I like the genre change up quite a bit but you almost lost me with the guitar playing the same thing for so long. I almost clicked it off but decided to see what happened. It got more interesting.

Thanks man. Glad you liked it! :)

I haven’t used any West World themes. It’s all my own music. If you thinkI have, It’s just coincidence. I would never specifically steal anyone’s music and not would I use anyone’s music in this competition as I’ve Red the FAQ and T&C. The closing card is part of my Guitar reversed ;)
Ahh I see, yeah Westworld's main theme and various thematic fragments throughout the episodes use a reversed piano effect that sounds nearly identical to your reverse guitar in a similar melodic sequence. I still think yours is cool though and also done well!

Whelp, here's my entry.

I wonder if the volume of the music is too much for the FX and dialogue. Too quiet, and I felt like my orchestrations didn't "hit" enough (and harder to hear for judges). Too loud, and they drown out the dialogue and important FX. I tried orchestrating around where it made sense, but I could not for the life of me get the "car robot" voice to poke through enough for my liking. Oh well, who listens to car robots, anyways, amirite?

Good luck to everyone and I hope you all had a blast with this, it really was fun. Any feedback would be amazing! If the levels aren't good, I can probably still have time to edit it before the deadline!

Well, now I'm thinking I went too loud with the music in mine... but I didn't think the music in yours was too loud at all. In fact I thought there was room to make it louder at points. The FX and dialogue were not that exciting =P

But interesting orchestrations, anyhow! I especially like the way you did the rocket sequence.

This competition has been a joy to participate in. Congrats to everyone who has entered. There have been so many great and unique submissions. It was especially fun to see all the creative choices you guys make while scoring to picture. Really great stuff!!

Here's mine:

I've been setting up a modular system for some time and took this as an opportunity to try syncing my DAW up to Eurorack and performing with the envelopes and filters while recording to tempo. I purposefully avoided any orchestra but did end up adding an electronic layer from Spitfire Albion 3. I also snuck in some Spitfire Chamber Strings but mostly added rhythmic gating on those tracks so it sounds more electronic.

This competition has been a joy to participate in. Congrats to everyone who has entered. There have been so many great and unique submissions. It was especially fun to see all the creative choices you guys make while scoring to picture. Really great stuff!!

Here's mine:

I've been setting up a modular system for some time and took this as an opportunity to try syncing my DAW up to Eurorack and performing with the envelopes and filters while recording to tempo. I purposefully avoided any orchestra but did end up adding an electronic layer from Spitfire Albion 3. I also snuck in some Spitfire Chamber Strings but mostly added rhythmic gating on those tracks so it sounds more electronic.

Time well spent with the Eurorack! I like a lot of the sound design in this one. It's a little bass-boomy at points but apart from that I enjoyed it.

Basically finished mine last night, but since it wasn't the deadline yet, I spent some of today making a bunch of small subtle adjustments that nobody would have ever picked up on or appreciated.

Oh man I love the sounds towards end of the chase after the last car comes through the fire. They just match perfectly - and the gnarly low sound somehow is present and big, but leaves room for the dialogue - smart! Love the horns as the car comes over the hill too. Good work!

Well well, it turns out that I actually CAN write four minutes of music in two days. Is it good? Probably not. xD First time scoring to video, so if the more experienced fellas here happen to watch my sad attempt at scoring then please, do tear it to shreds and tell me what went wrong and what (if anything) went right. :D

Another long time lurker reporting in. I toyed with doing a waltz-esque thing on the genre change in a sort of tongue-in-cheek fashion. Problem is, I don't even know how to do that. So... the result is this thing with possibly too many ideas happening later on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's been fun looking at everyone's submissions. Personally hoping one of the unique approaches wins.

One of the best things about this competition has been getting to see work by so many of the people on here that I have been reading for years, great stuff everyone. Going to watch a bunch more tonight on the big screen (my tv) in honor of finally finishing.

I embraced the genre change whole heartedly, let's just say things got a bit... jazzy

Another long time lurker reporting in. I toyed with doing a waltz-esque thing on the genre change in a sort of tongue-in-cheek fashion. Problem is, I don't even know how to do that. So... the result is this thing with possibly too many ideas happening later on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's been fun looking at everyone's submissions. Personally hoping one of the unique approaches wins.

Oh man I can't wait to watch this one just based on that thumbnail.

Top Bottom