What's new

Spitfire Symphonic Motions: Available Now

About the "human" feel, I think it might be a case of a good idea in theory but a poor one in practice; I have Time Micro and its 8th/16th/triplet "true" repetitions, but they are set up in a way that is quite loose on the beat and I find it very hard to make it work in any context -- even though they sound cool and unique, I always have to edit audio afterwards to make them work in a piece.

But if you're looking for more swinging strings repetitions you might want to try Time Macro or Time Micro for a bit @NoOneKnowsAnything

Last edited:
About the "human" feel, I think it might be case of a good idea in theory but a poor one in practice; I have Time Micro and its 8th/16th/triplet "true" repetitions, but they are set up in a way that is quite loose on the beat and I find it very hard to make it work in any context -- even though they sound cool and unique, I always have to edit audio afterwards to make them work in a piece.

But if you're looking for more swinging strings repetitions you might want to try Time Macro or Time Micro for a bit @NoOneKnowsAnything
I own Time Macro, the ideal is perfect timing and then the ability to adjust the feel as if the timing is loose as u said that’s a problem and I agree with you.

It may not really matter because you can humanize many other instruments in the orchestra to give more a feel and vibe or add live musicians to the mix.

Last edited:
I do have a couple of ostinato patches from various libraries, but I keep coming back to Spitfire's ostinato builder inside Chamber Strings. It is more flexible, and in some ways even more realistic. First, you don't have to use any time stretching algorithm when syncing to DAW, which will distort the sound sometimes, and you also can edit individual velocities of each note, make expressive accents, crescendos, polyrhythms of any kind etc. These dedicated ostinato libraries may use pre-recorded phrases to achieve realism, but they end up sounding flat and dull, as they are not as detailed as short articulations within a standard library. So, i really don't see myself gaining anything from a library like this.

I do have a couple of ostinato patches from various libraries, but I keep coming back to Spitfire's ostinato builder inside Chamber Strings. It is more flexible, and in some ways even more realistic. First, you don't have to use any time stretching algorithm when syncing to DAW, which will distort the sound sometimes, and you also can edit individual velocities of each note, make expressive accents, crescendos, polyrhythms of any kind etc. These dedicated ostinato libraries may use pre-recorded phrases to achieve realism, but they end up sounding flat and dull, as they are not as detailed as short articulations within a standard library. So, i really don't see myself gaining anything from a library like this.
Yes this is what I am debating at the moment before I make the buying plunge. Part of me things it may be useful to combine with SCS. SCS tone is weak sometimes for a more powerful ostinato, at least to me. I think by laying down the rhythm quickly with SSM, I can add SCS for more intricate rhythm and accents, but retain the symphonic power of SSM.

I watched Oliver's In-depth review and was clearly impressed with the tone. I think I won't know how "human" I can make it until I get it. If you watch his video he does a comparison with SSS to show the stark difference but I feel it wasn't the correct comparison (since he had ambient mics on full tilt on SSS, and thus it sounded washed out with no detail), he should have compared to SCS spiccato or at least used the closer mics in SSS to get more clarity.

Either way I like the concept, don't have an ostinato library, and Air's hall resonates with me, so I think I will probably get it. Either way, it's one of these libraries that sounds like a blast to just fire up and play chords for hours, like I do with my Pipe Organ libraries that I love, even if I never make a composition out of it.

Don’t get me wrong, Paul, I really like Symphonic Motions. Is there anyway to specifically change the Overlay volume? Also, if I want to select an entire row can I option click or something without having to click on each column? I would love to adjust the feel somehow too ie. Swing slider, humanize knob, etc...

I didn’t see any responses to your questions, so ...

Overlay volume obeys note velocity, so not only is it possible, it can vary for each voice. I was really happy when I noticed this, because between velocity and modulation, Symphonic Motions can get very expressive (at least to my ears).

On Mac, Cmd-click selects a entire row on the grid, same as it does in the older, Kontakt-based Evo grid libraries. I’m sure there is an equivalent for Windows if that’s what you need (but I don’t happen know what that would be).

I didn’t see any responses to your questions, so ...

Overlay volume obeys note velocity, so not only is it possible, it can vary for each voice. I was really happy when I noticed this, because between velocity and modulation, Symphonic Motions can get very expressive (at least to my ears).

On Mac, Cmd-click selects a entire row on the grid, same as it does in the older, Kontakt-based Evo grid libraries. I’m sure there is an equivalent for Windows if that’s what you need (but I don’t happen know what that would be).
Right on!!!!!! Thanks for the knowledge share 🙏🍾

Because I’m a drummer I understand what it means to play a laid back beat where the drums are behind the beat creating a huge pocket for everyone to fall in and this creates a lovely rhythmic dance inside the music or to be slightly ahead of the beat driving the music forward and pushing everyone else.
That probably explains why we hear this product the same way, NoOneKnowsAnything. I'm first and foremost a keyboard player, but I was a serious drummer/percussionist back when I had time to pursue a second instrument. As a result, I'm much more rhythmically focused than most other keyboard players. (For example.)

I don't think they will do that, but did you try bouncing the tracks as audio then adjusting the time?
That's certainly a good option to have as a workaround, yiph2. Moving a slider to adjust a swing parameter would be quicker and easier; but yeah, until that option exists, rendering and editing it as audio will work.

I do have a couple of ostinato patches from various libraries, but I keep coming back to Spitfire's ostinato builder inside Chamber Strings. It is more flexible, and in some ways even more realistic. First, you don't have to use any time stretching algorithm when syncing to DAW, which will distort the sound sometimes, and you also can edit individual velocities of each note, make expressive accents, crescendos, polyrhythms of any kind etc.
Thanks for that tip, dodecabilly! I really need to dig deeper into that library.

Best,

Geoff

Last edited:
Wouldn’t it be fantastic if SA developed the app further to allow exporting of the currently playing patterns as MIDI and then have a switch that turned off the rhythm engine so it could respond to the exact MIDI input from your edited MIDI pattern. This would make it much more flexible and allow fine control of rhythmic nuance. (OR have a mini sequencer within the plugin.)

Unfortunately, I suspect that may be too hard to implement.

Wouldn’t it be fantastic if SA developed the app further to allow exporting of the currently playing patterns as MIDI and then have a switch that turned off the rhythm engine so it could respond to the exact MIDI input from your edited MIDI pattern. This would make it much more flexible and allow fine control of rhythmic nuance. (OR have a mini sequencer within the plugin.)

Unfortunately, I suspect that may be too hard to implement.

But aren't these patterns played instead of generated by a rhythm engine? Or did I miss something?

Having soooo much fun! (maybe too much?)

In all seriousness though I have on average 10 instances running simultaneously with 3-4 note polyphony in each part, 2 x mics up and dynamic crossfading going on and I'm not getting any drops or pops. I'm working with elastique in "Low" and then switching to "High" for bounce down... change this in one instance of plugin and it changes for all... I don't hear a massive improvement in sound quality but I have been monitoring too loudly so all I can hear is "meeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah".

@christianhenson Will you be doing a more in depth walkthrough of your contextual for Symphonic Motions? Or something new for your vlog?

A question for anyone who has it already:

Can it do dry and intimate? I like how big and thunderous it can sound, but I wonder how versatile it is, due to the references to Dark Knight and Big movie score in general. But what about whispering rhythms?
I also wonder how it would work with the Studio Strings Pro.
I did buy it already, but have not yet downloaded, so still eligible for a refund, and still on the fence. If it's a one genre pony, I might pass (and wait for Studio Motions?).

I heard about some serious cpu-load issues.
Can some early owner confirm this / share the experience?

Also, listening to the walkthrough; do I get it right that the difference to their very own Ostinatum (which I like), is the rebowing?
And maybe in some situation the more realistic transitions? (Yes because it´s played live).

I like the sound and choice of articulations of the library, compared to i.e. Sonokinetic Strings Ostinatos.
But I do like the Midi Export of Sonokinetic, to have the freedom to make it your own Ostinato, with your own chosen String library or even something else.

I am really thinking about wether it is easier, to just play/program your own ostinato or choose this new library.
Same thoughts, I had on SA OACE, but there I was wrong.

Last edited:
A question for anyone who has it already:

Can it do dry and intimate? I like how big and thunderous it can sound, but I wonder how versatile it is, due to the references to Dark Knight and Big movie score in general. But what about whispering rhythms?
I also wonder how it would work with the Studio Strings Pro.
I did buy it already, but have not yet downloaded, so still eligible for a refund, and still on the fence. If it's a one genre pony, I might pass (and wait for Studio Motions?).

they kind of already did Studio Motions with Evo Grid 3. It was recorded at AIR Edel, a drier, studio space.

I heard about some serious cpu-load issues.
Can some early owner confirm this / share the experience?

Also, listening to the walkthrough; do I get it right that the difference to their very own Ostinatum (which I like), is the rebowing?
And maybe in some situation the more realistic transitions? (Yes because it´s played live).

I like the sound and choice of articulations of the library, compared to i.e. Sonokinetic Strings Ostinatos.
But I do like the Midi Export of Sonokinetic, to have the freedom to make it your own Ostinato, with your own chosen String library or even something else.

I am really thinking about wether it is easier, to just play/program your own ostinato or choose this new library.
Same thoughts, I had on SA OACE, but there I was wrong.
I don't think Sonokinetic's ostinato series have midi drop? Their bigger libs do.

Is there also a way to select how many repititions there are everytime you press a key on your midi keyboard? i.e. only play 2, 3 or 4 notes and then stop / play the release trigger?

Top Bottom