What's new

Spitfire keyswitches -- Arrrgh :)

DerGeist

Hi all, I know there is at least one similar thread to this one but honestly, after watching the videos and reading the suggestions I still have no idea how this works. I'm pretty dumb but even I'm starting to think the problem isn't me (it probably is).

Working with spitfire solo strings. I'm trying to use the piano roll to switch articulations. I'm playing the long articulation in one section and want to switch to another articulation in the next. I honestly can't figure out how to automate this.

What I'm used to is entering a midi note C0 for example, to switch articulations. This is either not possible or I just don't understand how to do it.

Help me VICONTROL, you're my only hope.

In ableton live if that matters.

DerGeist.

Yes, C0 for longs, , C#0 for c.sord, extra in Solo Strings - if you have an NKS keyboard, they're lit in read for you. If not, in Kontakt you can select the red keys on the keyboard, and this will confirm the key switches for you. If your keyboard isn't triggering them, then perhaps your keyboard is transposed upwards, or if you don't have an 88 keyboard, you can't see them without transposing down?

Interesting - that's not the case here (using Logic 10.4.4 and SF Solo Strings) - they start at C0 for me.
I checked them in Logic as well. Maybe you moved the keyswitches? (I'm fairly certain I didn't.) Keyswitches for most Spitfire libraries start at C-2. I also checked Ableton Live 9, and that's also C-2 for me. So OP should transpose the keyboard down until it's at the very bottom or put the keyswitches in by hand into the piano roll. Or use CC32, which will also send keyswitches.

I checked them in Logic as well. Maybe you moved the keyswitches? (I'm fairly certain I didn't.) Keyswitches for most Spitfire libraries start at C-2. I also checked Ableton Live 9, and that's also C-2 for me. So OP should transpose the keyboard down until it's at the very bottom or put the keyswitches in by hand into the piano roll. Or use CC32, which will also send keyswitches.
Well, if I did, I couldn't tell you how to do it again! :)

Anyway, to the OP - it works, you just have to make sure you're on the correct octave (whatever that is for you!).

To the OP, are you seeing the keyswitches on the screen keyboard at bottom of Kontakt? You may need to drop it down a couple of octaves to see them and then if you prefer you can move those keyswitches (drag) to wherever you’d like them to be. I don’t have SF Solo Strings but I have many other SF libraries and as above the keyswitches are usually way down low.

Thanks all. It looks like the keyswitches somehow got turned off. I fixed it by resetting the keyswitch range and entering my keyswitches as required. This is a neat bit of functionality but it feels a bit obscure.

I got the keyswitches to work; thanks for your help everybody! However, I'd like to transpose them up a couple of octaves. The users manual describes how to do it as follows:

1b. “KEYBOARD SHIMMIER” - This shifts your bank of keyswitches left or right to suit your needs, preference or performance. Simply click on the icon and drag your cursor left or right and you’ll see the pink bank of keyswitches follow! Wherever you stop, those will be the new keyswitches.

However, this doesn't seem to work; I click on the icon, but nothing happens when I try to drag it. Any ideas what I could do?

I got the keyswitches to work; thanks for your help everybody! However, I'd like to transpose them up a couple of octaves. The users manual describes how to do it as follows:

1b. “KEYBOARD SHIMMIER” - This shifts your bank of keyswitches left or right to suit your needs, preference or performance. Simply click on the icon and drag your cursor left or right and you’ll see the pink bank of keyswitches follow! Wherever you stop, those will be the new keyswitches.

However, this doesn't seem to work; I click on the icon, but nothing happens when I try to drag it. Any ideas what I could do?
If you have multiple instruments loaded inside Kontakt, make sure you have selected (clicked) the instrument you are changing the keyswitches for, in order to see the correct keyboard mapping. (I've been caught out by this numerous times)
Also make sure the little padlock is set to "Unlocked artic."

Make sure the patch is set to key switches and not locked in the menu to the right of the keyboard shimmer. And make sure the bottom part of Kontakt’s keyboard is showing of course.

Other problem: my key switches seem to work just fine in Spitfire Solo Strings, however they only work from C to G (in my case C-1 since my middle C is the classical C4), and they stop working from G# and higher. Is it a bug, or am I missing something? Thanks for your help!

Other problem: my key switches seem to work just fine in Spitfire Solo Strings, however they only work from C to G (in my case C-1 since my middle C is the classical C4), and they stop working from G# and higher. Is it a bug, or am I missing something? Thanks for your help!
How many keyswitches do you see? Are you using an articulation set or expression map to manage the articulations?

Top Bottom