What's new

Spitfire Audio - "It's all about to change" - BBCSO Core / Discover

My favorite star wars theme mockup is the sample modeling one. I don't have sample modeling myself but I plan to get it soon :). I don't think NotePerformer can support such a performance-based library, though.

There's a long thread that was bumped not too long ago here full of all the best mockups the users here have ever heard. I encourage you to browse it. I don't remember there being many if any NotePerformer mockups in that thread. I could be wrong, though.

The sample-modeling one sounds good, I'd prefer its timbre, but the difference in a side-by-side comparison, especially regarding performance, is absolutely negligible. The intro on that mockup is also nowhere near as powerful sounding. Certainly not enough to justify the more than a thousand dollars price difference and that's not counting hardware, DAW, etc.

Actually, it's very difficult to even call this a comparison. Since the Sample Modeling one only samples the first little bit, and only deals with brass, where as the Noteperformer mockup is of the entire piece. I'd be very interested to see how Sample Modeling brass handles the horns in bar 20 and onward.

The sample-modeling one sounds good, I'd prefer its timbre, but the difference in a side-by-side comparison, especially regarding performance, is absolutely negligible. The intro on that mockup is also nowhere near as powerful sounding. Certainly not enough to justify the more than a thousand dollars price difference and that's not counting hardware, DAW, etc.

Actually, it's very difficult to even call this a comparison. Since the Sample Modeling one only samples the first little bit, and only deals with brass, where as the Noteperformer mockup is of the entire piece. I'd be very interested to see how Sample Modeling brass handles the horns in bar 20 and onward.
The difference is not negligible. The NotePerformer version sounds like a 90s video game to me.

Your second sentence honestly baffles me, to be honest. Compare the two versions to any of the live recordings and I think you will find the opposite is true. The only issue I have with the first note there is the trumpets are too quiet, but for the rest of the opening fanfare the brass sounds much more energetic and lively because it was likely recorded in by somebody.

More than a thousand dollars? No. Certainly I think anyone working with samples should invest as much as they want/can afford, but you can absolutely get started with EastWest samples and a cheap DAW like REAPER with less money than it takes to buy NotePerformer, whatever samples you get for it, and your notation software of choice.

But this is all worthless bickering. Neither of us is going to change our minds. We have different ears and that's OK. And the thread isn't even supposed to be about either of these libraries.

Reactions: ism
The difference is not negligible. The NotePerformer version sounds like a 90s video game to me.

Your second sentence honestly baffles me, to be honest. Compare the two versions to any of the live recordings and I think you will find the opposite is true. The only issue I have with the first note there is the trumpets are too quiet, but for the rest of the opening fanfare the brass sounds much more energetic and lively because it was likely recorded in by somebody.

More than a thousand dollars? No. Certainly I think anyone working with samples should invest as much as they want/can afford, but you can absolutely get started with EastWest samples and a cheap DAW like REAPER with less money than it takes to buy NotePerformer, whatever samples you get for it, and your notation software of choice.

But this is all worthless bickering. Neither of us is going to change our minds. We have different ears and that's OK. And the thread isn't even supposed to be about either of these libraries.
Man, if we all stuck to what the thread was supposed to be about it would be very quiet round here.

@christianhenson
Currently you have the ability to edit in Discover a project created in Pro with the full range of articulations.

Do you have any plans to fill in the missing piece of the jigsaw and allow people to create from scratch a piece in Discover using the missing articulations (even though obviously they won't be heard correctly), which will then translate perfectly to someone using Pro?

@christianhenson
Currently you have the ability to edit in Discover a project created in Pro with the full range of articulations.

Do you have any plans to fill in the missing piece of the jigsaw and allow people to create from scratch a piece in Discover using the missing articulations (even though obviously they won't be heard correctly), which will then translate perfectly to someone using Pro?

We’ll watch and listen to how people are using this. The danger for us on launch is misrepresenting the content. However any of the templates we’re making and are up on the page will load the full suite in for you.

They blend nicely.

I’m on a 2013 MB Pro. I’m not one of those guys that loads up every single articulation for a template, but I have done a test. I can load the entire BBCSO orchestra, with the default mic position, and it’s about 11GB. This is with a single articulation per instance. When you load an instrument, it loads every articulation for that instrument, which is a huge resource hog. What I do is trash everything except for the single patch I need.
I had built a template with self-made patches. Some articulations deactivated and the keyswitches raised 2 octaves depending on the instrument.

All the time I had the problem that the keyswitches didn't work properly. When I used thrills or tremolo, these artucalations always remained active on one note when I switched to legato or staccato.

After the update the problem is gone! Yeah! Should I be able to use this library on my MacBook the way I wanted to? Now it really looks like that. If it stays like this they have solved my biggest problem.

Ingenious is, when I switch to core the deactivated articulations stay deactivated and mine keyswitches are where I put them. I didn't expect that and for once I am thrilled.

The way I see it, articulations cannot be switched on and off in the core version. Therefore it surprises me even more.

Edit: Glad I spoke too soon, the problem is back... grrrr

I just switched from spiccato to thrills and back.
Poorly hammered, but you can hear that on some notes the thrills remain active. At the end of the MP3 file.
It drives me crazy.

Attachments

• Violas KS bug.mp3
    843.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
For me, there is a different angle to the BBCSO Discover.

I always wished there was a 'try before you buy' with Spitfire Audio products.

There was always so many mixed views on the BBC stuff, even after viewing all the reviews and hearing the demos and walkthroughs, I was not sure if it was for me.

Now I can play around and see for myself before committing to a €1k library with no resell option.

I know this wasn't the point of Discover, but maybe in the future Spitfire could offer a free 'longs and stacc' lite version with perhaps 2 or 3 instruments of any new libraries costing over 500€.
yes, good point, a "try-pack", gives me the opportunity to demo the tone and air of the BBC, which is something I've wanted to do since its release

So the thrill is gone?
After the up came the crash.
I built my own patches for my mobile setup. Keyswitches reorganized, articulations reduced, the playable range adapted to my mobile 4 octave keyboard.
That's when the problems started.
On the main computer everything is unchanged and I don't have this problem.
Now I work 70% of my time on the MacBook ... and can't use BBCSO the way I want to. I don't understand the problem, why after reorganizing the keyswitches, suddenly some notes, not all, remain active after switching to a different articulations in the background with the previous articulation. It's like they get stuck. But why not on all notes, just a few?
It is most noticeable with thrills and tremolo because they are clearly audible in the background.
No latch, no overlapping of the keyswitches ... I am somehow helpless why this happens. If other libraries would behave like this I would suspect a different problem, but only BBCSO behaves like this.
I tried to rebuild the custom patches several times, it happens again and again.

To me the compressed sound of the discovery will be the main problem (based on your demo) when switching to the core or pro version in the same project.

After users first go for levels, but then realize they'll also need to adjust dynamics may be disappointing for them (more work needed than expected moment...). A thing about such basic sounds are they influence the user to use less dynamic adjustment while composing.

But the library is very young and the size is (to me) maybe even too economically designed. So there is lots of room for update and enhancements.

Playing with BBCSo Core now, sounds lovely.

One question, I'd like to be able to remove unused techniques, is the technique editor not included in the Core version?

Playing with BBCSo Core now, sounds lovely.

One question, I'd like to be able to remove unused techniques, is the technique editor not included in the Core version?
I don't have it, but it's detailed as been available in the "core" user guide at the time of writing.
As I use a 16gb MBP, it's kind of a prerequisite for me to take the plunge..

Last edited:
We’ll watch and listen to how people are using this. The danger for us on launch is misrepresenting the content. However any of the templates we’re making and are up on the page will load the full suite in for you.
iI am definitely a fan of this direction. I think this offering of different versions and templates is brilliant. Would help my workflow tremendously. Therefore: any chance of a Cubase template? And, while I am dreaming: any chances for templates for other Spitfire Libraries? The studio series? All Olafurs?

Top Bottom