What's new

Spitfire Audio Abbey Road Orchestra: Metal Percussion

Yeah, a well recorded, deeply sampled orchestral metallophone library would easily be worth $449 if it was extensive.

Crotales, Xylophone, Glock, maybe Vibraphone, Chimes, Gongs, Tamtams, Cymbals, Thundersheets, Celeste, Triangles, Cowbells, etc. Soniccouture has a limited Orchestral Perc bundle for $5-600.
There’s no way Spitfire will record a ton of dynamic layers for all that - at Abbey Road! - and then offer it for just $449.

This might be the first module I get, the bowed samples sound cool.

I still use the old Joby Burgess Perc (now Spitfire Perc) for everything. Having really deep sampled piatti in Abbey Road would be so cool. The samples in AROOF were a good teaser.

But it'd really have to be DEEP sampling to justify the price...

What scares me is the price of any brass or strings module if the percs are 449€
If each of the 5 string sections is a module that adds up to $2,250.

The percussion might reasonably end up at six modules ($2,700): high drums, low drums, metals, (plus speculated modules: harp, timpani, and keys+bells).

So yeah it's a ton of money for samples.

Working composers would probably budget $10-12k for this... over the next several years... and why not? They'd be glad to spend it knowing that they really don't need to get any other samples after this.

The case is a lot harder for composer assistants and hobbyists right now.

I wonder if SF will eventually hold a "first module discount" sale instead of the "complete your collection" sales. Just to get people into the ecosystem. It seems to me from reading this forum that lots of people who bought AROOF have not yet bought 1 module.

The floor looks like it could be Abbey Road studio one... or Air Lyndhurst haha. Actually Air looks a little darker in some pictures.

Abbey has the L shaped parquet floor :)

Last edited:
I saw the hammer on the floor, and thought, "oh, they are showing us how they dismantled the old Orchestral Grand Piano, and now replacing it since its no longer for sale!" Then I thought, "no, don't be silly, its already been replaced with Simple Sams Signature Grand....and besides, a sound board sounds nothing like that, being hit by a hammer."

Btw. in relation to that:

Where does Spitfire go from here? How do you top making a thoroughly recorded orchestral library at Abbey Road?

Last edited:
I know what floor im putting in my future studio
You know what they say: if the floor's not parquet, the talent will... uhm... walk... away?

Joking aside, I've no doubt the floor material has a huge impact on the sounds we know and love. Interesting that they both have such (apparently) similar floors. That said I'm sure a flooring expert will pop up and say something like Nah: Lyndhurst is clearly Beech, while Abbey is Ash, you fool....

Which spread tastes more like real butter?

For Better Buttery Taste, it's Parquet.

I can't get past the hammer. Wha happened?
I Can't Believe t's Not Butter.

What a brilliant product name, at that point it could be anything, and if they were accused it wasn't butter, they could say "we never said it was!". And string you along... like... um... certain confusing sample library developers.

I guess when they revealed the plan for a real Abbey Road library, I was too naive to think it would be done in under a decade.

Reactions: tjr
Top Bottom