What's new

Smart Quantize and how to work with it (Logic)

stigc56

Hi
I have some problems understanding how to work with Smart Quantize.
In a drum track I have turned on Smart Quantize set to 1/16 note and recorded som midi. After recording I need to fix some of the midi so it's more precise.
But it's not possible to hard quantize individual events! I can select them and press Q but they don't move. Using the Q-Range, Q-AntiFlam, Q-Strength will impact the whole track, right?

So the only way is to create a separate part with the midi events that I need to have really precise and then use the old Classic Quantize right?

This seems quite convoluted to me, and not at all "Apple like".
Any help appreciated.

You can hard quantize (or change the quantization amount) individual events if you work in the piano roll.

When Smart Quantize does not get you where you want, you can hard quantize using Q-Strength and Q-Range in the Extended Region Quantize Parameter to tailor it more specifically.

Sometimes a combination of Smart Quantize with the Humanize Transform set works well also.

You can hard quantize (or change the quantization amount) individual events if you work in the piano roll.
Well this is not my experience. Take a look at this GIF:

Attachments

• LPX quantize.gif
    LPX quantize.gif
    11.9 MB · Views: 35
Something wrong. I just played a part and hard quantized the region to 8th notes, even though I played some 16th notes. In the Piano Roll I selected them and quantized them to 16th notes abided it overrode the region quantize for those notes.

Well I have to write you back on this topic, because it happens ALL the time.
I really want to go back to Logic again (Cubase), but this ruins my workflow.
What should I do If a track is set to Smart Quantize 1/8 & 1/8 triplet and I NEED to have a certain midi part of that track quantized as 1/16?
View attachment SmartQ in Logic (2).mp4

Ok I realized that the Q value is pr REGION not track. I'm sorry!

@stigc56
not even that. it's per event. though, what you describe (1/8 & 1/8t) is mixed quantisation in logic. It simply accepts both, binar and ternar positions. smart quantisation weights the events and adjusts the flow. it's great when you record e.g. piano and you can actually play (i know you can). or if you intentionally play flams.

@stigc56
not even that. it's per event. though, what you describe (1/8 & 1/8t) is mixed quantisation in logic. It simply accepts both, binar and ternar positions. smart quantisation weights the events and adjusts the flow. it's great when you record e.g. piano and you can actually play (i know you can). or if you intentionally play flams.

Well, you can do it at the region level in the Region Inspector or the MIDI event level in the Piano Roll editor. And of course you can select Undo Quantization for specific notes even if the region is quantized.

And Marc, stop spelling "quantize" based terms with an S or I will smack you :)

@Ashermusic Do you know if there is any way to always sync the "Smart Quantize" and the grid division? So every time I change the grid division, the quantize value changes in the open window?

@Ashermusic Do you know if there is any way to always sync the "Smart Quantize" and the grid division? So every time I change the grid division, the quantize value changes in the open window?

You mean if you change the grid from 16 to 12 you want your region quantization to change? No.

Personally, I wouldn’t want.

Top Bottom