What's new

Quit music, or not? I'm desperate

You may be feeling you need to make a HUGE life decision right NOW. Maybe you're feeling as if you were running out of time. None of that is true.

You're very young and have plenty of time to figure things out. You don't need to make any drastic decision.

What I'm saying is, don't think about it in terms of "quitting music for the rest of my life" but maybe just "I'm taking a break and seeing how it feels". It's totally alright to just pause anything for a couple of weeks, or months, or even years. Whenever you want to get back to it, it will be there for you.

You have plenty of time to figure things out.

@TheCrucifix To echo what others have said in this post: keep on keeping on. Music is the universal language of life. It adds so much meaning for those creating it as well as those that are just enjoying it. Don't give up on it and don't give up on yourself.

Life is made up of peaks and valleys. All of us experience this, no matter what our background or circumstances. The struggle is part of the beauty, and not just for contrast, but because it is a part of life. It's universal to the human experience. Everything that you go through, makes you, you, which is a wealth of material to draw from. With talent and practice, you can harness this for others to see the world through your perspective. There's a tremendous amount of satisfaction to be gained from making someone's day, week, month, or life, just a little bit brighter than it was before they encountered you. In fact, I haven't found much of anything else that is truly more satisfying.

Continue to inspire the world with your art and don't worry about the self-doubt. That's part of it and will keep you humble and grounded when you ascend the peak! 🙂

For many reason I won't develop here, I took a break from music for couple years... and you know what I gain? NOTHING... I only lost valuable years.

So, NEVER QUIT MUSIC...

Now, yes, Music Theory could help, no doubt about it. But if it's not your thing, just don't bother with it. I was watching a video with multiple composers, including Hans Zimmer, and at one point, of the guys tells him: "but I can't read (score)", then Hans replied: "neither can't I"... following by something I'm paraphrasing here, but something like: "it doesn't matter, you know why? Because everyone can read, but not everyone can write"... meaning, you can read, but it won't make you a good writer (book, music, whatever...). So being not able to read never stop HZ to become who he is today.

You can write great music and not have a clue to how to read score... so what? who cares? (beside your mother). I'm an old fart now and you know what I learned all those years? Our parents aren't always right... they just do their best, just like we do... sometimes they're right, sometimes they fuck up... just like us. But most of it, you're not growing in the same world your mother grew up... so many things changed. I have no doubt, in the past, music theory was necessary to have a music career... but today, you can put music online and become a millionaire... or not.

Anything is possible because of this great thing we all enjoy: Technology... from great computers, to nice sample libraries, to internet to share with others, to communicate, learn, and being in touch with other artists, other composers, maybe get in touch with professionals that might like your work, etc... so many ways your mother couldn't imagine at her time... what's important is to stay up to date to the current world, what is important TODAY. Because it might not be music theory, but it might be something else, like social networks, or learning mixing and mastering (like you mentioned), or else... I honestly don't know, I'm still learning myself, and I'm over double your age... so you see, you still have a long way ahead of you. We never stop learning.

If you get bored, maybe change project, do something completely different. It's ok to mix music style, like EDM and Orchestral... why not? Rules #1 in music: there's no rule... Try something uncomfortable, something you never done, it's generally a good way to be creative by discovering something new. Nobody can learn everything in music, it's a very too complex matter... so no matter what you know, you will always find something new to learn. If you can't find it, you're not looking for it well enough.

Also, 15 to 30 years old are the best creative years. I was listening to some podcast from a Professor of psychiatry that was explaining that humans develop their brain until 25 I believe, and therefore the years from 15 to 30 are generally the years where they're very productive... and if well used, this productivity can lead to creativity. If not, it could also lead to criminality... it was fascinating.

I'm clearly butchering the explanation here, but long story short, you're living your best years now, so don't waste them by focusing on meaningless issues (like being able to read or not...). You could always start to learn music theory later on when you will be dry out of ideas.

"Stay hungry, stay foolish"

congrats! if you love doing this keep going. commercial success and making music might be two different things. if you want commercial success you might want to look into tools assisting you under pressure. not necessarily because those make you better but faster. piano and theory lessons are a good thing for that.

As usual, a lot of advice, some good, some terrible.

Money

If you are poor, you can't just "keep on no matter what." You need a plan. What that should be, I can't say, though a lot of people on here work in the computer or information technology business to make a living, doing music when and as they have time. Nobody can live on passion alone.

Theory

Music theory is not something to skip if you want to work on movies or games. There is not enough time to compose it all by ear. Everyone always trots out Hans Zimmer as if he knows nothing of theory. Only if you define theory in the most narrow way could you say that; he knows plenty of what would be included under "theory."

That said, you don't need that much music theory. If you can read chord symbols and play guitar or piano or -- anything really -- that's enough to get a lot written.

Playing

Learn to play at least one instrument well. Every well-known composer can do it.

Other than that, you seem intelligent. You can make up your own mind about what you really want.

Good luck and try to have fun!!

John

Last edited:

WITAF? This sounds like Castlevania and Bloodborne had a baby with The Matrix. And it totally works.

You have talent my friend. Combine that with persistence and passion and that’s all you need to make good music.

Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth famously stated in an interview that he knows zero music theory and he has written incredibly well thought out and intricate music for decades.

Don’t give up on music.

A smart person once told me that music theory makes more sense when you stop thinking of it as THE RULES and think of it as learning how to verbalize the elements of music in a manner that others trained in the language can understand.

Don’t beat yourself up either in meeting any kind of arbitrary goals you or anyone else sets for yourself. That only leads to resenting your passion.

Enjoy the process of creation. Don’t worry about what happens when you share it. Everyone can find an audience these days.

Hello, this is going to be a very big post, so get ready. To be honest, I'm already ashamed of him, but I have to write this.

I am 21 years old, and I am writing here out of desperation. Now I am closer than ever to quitting music, and I need the advice of experienced people.

But first I will introduce myself: I am from Russia, from a rather poor family. From the "musical background" only singing in the church choir (7 years in a row) By education, information security, but I don't like this profession at all, so I got a diploma and forgot about it.
Around the age of 18, I suddenly realized that insanely much, I want to write music for video games and movies. I was absolutely amazed at how music can immerse you in a fictional universe, and what kind of context it can create. That was the first time I heard the orchestral soundtrack to Dark Souls 3 from the author Yuka Kitamura, and I thought I wanted the same. After that, I listened to the Frenchman Carpenter Brut, and realized that I also wanted to write electronic music, as a result of which I began to mix electronic and orchestral music, because I absolutely could not decide what I liked more. Also, then (and now) I really liked the music from the anime "Angel's Egg" by Yoshihiro Kanno. The main theme of this anime has an incredibly melancholic gamut, which has inspired me not once.

As a result, I started writing. A lot of writing. Sometimes, for 18 hours a day, just because nothing else interested me. At some point, it even became hard for me to listen to someone else's music, simply because it caused me an incredible desire to sit down and start writing. "I want to write the same way" - constantly sounds in my head. In general, almost everything I have, I wrote under great inspiration, inuitively, exclusively by ear. I've studied mixing, mastering, and I think I'm not bad at it, but there's another problem..

A HUGE problem. Unfortunately, I just hate music theory. At the age of 16, I dropped out of the first year of music school (which I miraculously entered) because solfeggio and piano playing were something completely counterintuitive for me. Yes, I don't know how to play any instrument at all, and I don't know 99% of music theory. No matter how much I try, I only have an aversion to studying these things. I've always just wanted to write music from the soul.

And you know, now I'm somewhere on the verge of giving it up, because I feel like an amateur. Since childhood, I have heard from everyone, and especially from my mother, that: without music theory, you are nobody, and you can't do anything. I watch interviews with composers I like, and they all graduated from the conservatory, and I don't even know how to read sheet music. Each of them masterfully plays the piano, violin, and 1000 other instruments, and I just... I'm just putting the bricks on the virtual panel. And unfortunately, I have absolutely no way to evaluate it. It sounds exactly the way I want it, but I do not know if I want it right. Besides, it probably sounds dead, because these are mostly not real instruments, but ordinary VST

To be honest, I do not know what I will do if I quit music. "Composing" (a big word) has always been a therapy, a goal and a dream for me. I solved every problem in my life with music. I remember when I was 20, my mother was dying in the hospital, my girlfriend left me after 5 years of a relationship, and they almost expelled me from college. That day I thought: well, that's it, it's time to die.
Of course, it was scary, so "before I died" I decided to launch a game that I had recently downloaded. It was called Ender Lilies. In the game menu there was a little girl in the rain, and "Ender Lilies - Main Theme" was playing. At that moment I started crying like a baby. I can say for sure that I have never cried like this in my life. As a result, I sat down and wrote 10 soundtracks in a day.

Naturally, I wrote it by ear. It was pretty simple music, because I didn't have any experience at all then, but I put everything I had into it, and probably that's the only reason I didn't jump off the roof that day. I'll attach this album here if anyone is interested, but in fact there is absolutely nothing special about it. The album tells the story of a child who walks through a country infected with the "magic plague" and looks at the horror that is happening in it.

Less than a year has passed since that moment. I've raised my level a lot, I've learned a lot of things, but not music theory. As soon as I plunge into the world of these "frets, steps, intervals", I immediately lose all interest in composing. As my last (and probably best) work, I will attach this one:

In my music, I try to mix the pathos and Gothic grandeur of Dark Souls music with the aggressive electronic style of Carpenter Brut, and partly metal.

However, what is the point of all this? Do you know the feeling when you think you don't know something that everyone else around knows? I will ask for a job somewhere, and they will say to me: no, my friend, you did not graduate from the conservatory. Does it work like this? Or maybe I have a chance? Or maybe my music is just completely hopeless?

To be honest, I'm desperate, because I'm almost 22 years old, and I have to decide exactly what to do next in this life, so as not to waste time in vain. I really like to write music, in any genre, for anything, as long as it has a plot or purpose. But maybe there's nothing waiting for me in this, with this approach? I doubt that I will ever master solfeggio

In general, I'm asking you for a simple piece of advice. It is clear that the final decision remains with me, and in fact I am almost sure that I will NEVER stop writing. However, I want to know your opinion, guys. To hear about it from someone who is just more experienced. Maybe find a teacher (?)I'm sure I'm not the first one, so there will be a solution for me too

Thank you, it's important to me. And sorry for the bad English, I don't know it very well yet

UPD: There are so many good people on this forum. Thank you guys, you gave me an invaluable opinion and dispelled my doubts. I am very glad that I came here

Hey, for what it's worth ► you have TALENT, PASSION and CREATIVITY!! These are inherent, NOT LEARNED, and so you have what matters most, imho.

Have you tried connecting with cinema or video game students, maybe do a few volunteer projects to give you experience (don't sign your rights away). You could also take p;art on a few composing contests that show up here from time to time, sponsored by library makers.

Also bear in mind that most artists don't have permanent employment. So be your own artist, create, create, create, develop your projects, and life will happen. :)

Don't give up, buddy!

@TheCrucifix . Don't think that theory and as you put it, "the soul" are mutually exclusive, they are not and you have fallen for the biggest misconception by many non-theory composers about its function in creativity. Theory supports and inspires your soul. You do however have to practice theory and not just read about it if you want to get to the stage whereby theory and your musical fantasy are cooperating as one. So the task of learning theory may be even more of a chore than you want to hear about, but there it is.
I mean there's no point in just looking at all of those scales and arpeggios on a page, you have to actually play, practise and learn them over time right? Also, learn with a tutor who can guide you and give you appropriate exercises to work on, you'll soon begin to find how doing this kind of learning and practising -from the bottom up- begins to free your creative restraints and hang ups.

Stick with it, you are young, but do it properly whilst you still have the chance to fully realise your potential and what you are musically made of - yes, theory and its incorporation into your aesthetics, can offer you that. Give yourself every chance to reach the best you can be for if you don't, you might regret it in future. However if you are dreaming of becoming professional then make sure you have a back-up or alternative career plan for there is no guarantee whatsoever of either reaching personal goals, (although there will be massive improvement), nor career success.

@JohnG says you don't have to learn it all, I agree but you do need to be judicious in what you do learn to make sure you get a solid foundation at least. Then you can cherry pick whatever suits your needs.

Last edited:
I hated music theory when I was 21 too. I got some lessons but to me it was always a useless collection of dry words and strange calculations in a kind of secret language. And most of the things I had to do I did wrong. It was frustrating.

It changed when I started to figure out the chords in a lead sheet (realbook style notation with just one melody line and chord symbols). I counted the keys on the keyboard to find the right notes. I remember when I found out how to play a Fminor7 on a Fender Rhodes when I was alone in our band rehearsal room. And then there was a Bb in the bass. Fm7/Bb! Boah, what a sound! From there I moved on and over time more and more of this math words made sense.
It's like a foreign language: you learn the first words and can't even pronounce them but when you are able to order a beer and really get one it feels great!

Sitting on a keyboard and play stuff that you didn't write yourself helps a lot! Listen and play. Take the time. You are not in a hurry. No need to quit. Have fun.

My thoughts after playing and creating music for more than 40 years? Music is not a "hobby", "pastime", "vocation"... whatever you want to describe it in that sense, it is a way of life. It's either in your blood or not. You may feel like leaving it at times but, believe me, it will never leave you. I've had big gaps in my active playing (drums and guitar) but I've always gone back to it and, at 61 years old, I'm still in a band. Similarly with the recording. I'm as busy now as I've always been.

By all means take a break, it can help sometimes, but know that it'll always be there to come back to and enjoy more than ever.

a pro isn't someone with the latest sample library. A pro is someone who can make someone else look good, make their life easy, and do it every time.

If you want to do music for a living, then you don't need music theory. you don't need an agent. you don't need the latest sample library.

what you do need is a network. meet people. meet people you can help, that can help you. meet people you find interesting. keep in touch. find people who like you, because you're good AND fun (vs the guy who is good and boring)... we're all humans, and humans want to spend their energy with other humans that they a) like and b) benefit them. It's as simple as that.

don't sit in front of your computer 24/7 and wonder what your doing with your life. don't buy more samples. Go and find the humans that you like, the ones that like you... that are interested in the same things. spot the ones that are good and stay in touch, even if they're not successful. they probably will be one day.

how do you do that? well, find some local composers and go and meet them for a drink. in person. meet local directors. young advertising creatives. young game developers. Google and linkedIn will tell you who's in your town doing that stuff. If you live in the middle of nowhere... move. Tell everyone you meet that you're a composer. ask them if they need any music.

at 22, you can do whatever you want. I did some crazy jobs before the music started paying its way. if you're genuinely into music (and it sounds like you are) and want to do it for a living, then you'll make it work - but you do need other people. call it a network. call it friends in the industry. call it a team.

/my 2c

Music is not something you "do" or a job, or something you "quit", atleast not for me. Music for me is a lifestyle and something that will always be present in one way or another. Just like pooping, eating, sleeping, you need it. Same with Music. Diffrent periods of your life you will have more or less music active in your life. Taking a break is fine aslo!

Welcome to the forum.

Such a post!

I couldn't agree more with the other replies here. Echo those!

Two cents more:

1. The theory to learn, and to practice, is mental toughness, especially if you are going to share the music you've created with others. You need to learn about you. Because when no other person can affirm your work, and when you ask for detailed advice, and hear things that make you consider quitting, you will need to know how to persist. Watch yourself, notice when your will is weak, notice when your will is strong, and smarten up about that. People can learn to talk about music in a manner that makes other people wish they had never been born. Right? Deal with that! Don't go chasing theory if it doesn't magnify you. The Harvard Business Review has a number of titles on Mental Toughness you might consider.

2. Jason Allen created a course called Music Theory for Electronic Music Producers; since you are already successfully producing electronic music you might return to your music theory studies with Dr. Allen.

3. W.A. Mathieu wrote a book called Harmonic Experience about the things people feel and know when they make music together. Since you already have experience singing sacred music in sacred spaces, you might connect with this. He discusses feeling and knowing music in a manner that makes music, and musicians, larger. Theory is essential for that.

4. You might take a look at the film 'The Miracle Worker.'

Regarding theory...

Initially I saw theory as a set of rules.

But the more you dig into theory the more you realize pretty much anything is valid in the right context.

Like, just put your fist on the piano to play 5 adjacent random notes at the same time and you get a fancy pancy cluster! Play C major and then put some random chords with alterations and you get a chromatic substitution. There are fancy names for any weird thing you can come up with.

1656603011442.png

Sure, maybe you wouldn't do weird chromatic things if writing music for children. It all depends on the context. Again, the point is that anything can be valid.

Theory is not a set of rules, it's just a system that tries to explain common (and not so common) patterns. If it sounds good to you I can 100% guarantee someone has explained why it works via theory.

Here's the very important thing: you don't really need to know all the theory to justify your instincts.

I'm not saying you shouldn't study theory. You definitely should. But don't see it as a set of rules you have to follow. It's just another tool in your belt. No amount of theory will be a substitute for experience, creativity, and instincts.

Edit:

As an example just listen to Pink Floyd's Breathe.

It's just ii to V the whole time during the verses! For like minutes! What idiot did come up with that dumb progression!

Or Cream's Sunshine of your Love! they repeat the same thing for minutes too! What kind of idiots are these!

Of course I'm joking :)

These people are genre-defining geniuses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom