What's new

Quit music, or not? I'm desperate

TheCrucifix

Hello, this is going to be a very big post, so get ready. To be honest, I'm already ashamed of him, but I have to write this.

I am 21 years old, and I am writing here out of desperation. Now I am closer than ever to quitting music, and I need the advice of experienced people.

But first I will introduce myself: I am from Russia, from a rather poor family. From the "musical background" only singing in the church choir (7 years in a row) By education, information security, but I don't like this profession at all, so I got a diploma and forgot about it.
Around the age of 18, I suddenly realized that insanely much, I want to write music for video games and movies. I was absolutely amazed at how music can immerse you in a fictional universe, and what kind of context it can create. That was the first time I heard the orchestral soundtrack to Dark Souls 3 from the author Yuka Kitamura, and I thought I wanted the same. After that, I listened to the Frenchman Carpenter Brut, and realized that I also wanted to write electronic music, as a result of which I began to mix electronic and orchestral music, because I absolutely could not decide what I liked more. Also, then (and now) I really liked the music from the anime "Angel's Egg" by Yoshihiro Kanno. The main theme of this anime has an incredibly melancholic gamut, which has inspired me not once.

As a result, I started writing. A lot of writing. Sometimes, for 18 hours a day, just because nothing else interested me. At some point, it even became hard for me to listen to someone else's music, simply because it caused me an incredible desire to sit down and start writing. "I want to write the same way" - constantly sounds in my head. In general, almost everything I have, I wrote under great inspiration, inuitively, exclusively by ear. I've studied mixing, mastering, and I think I'm not bad at it, but there's another problem..

A HUGE problem. Unfortunately, I just hate music theory. At the age of 16, I dropped out of the first year of music school (which I miraculously entered) because solfeggio and piano playing were something completely counterintuitive for me. Yes, I don't know how to play any instrument at all, and I don't know 99% of music theory. No matter how much I try, I only have an aversion to studying these things. I've always just wanted to write music from the soul.

And you know, now I'm somewhere on the verge of giving it up, because I feel like an amateur. Since childhood, I have heard from everyone, and especially from my mother, that: without music theory, you are nobody, and you can't do anything. I watch interviews with composers I like, and they all graduated from the conservatory, and I don't even know how to read sheet music. Each of them masterfully plays the piano, violin, and 1000 other instruments, and I just... I'm just putting the bricks on the virtual panel. And unfortunately, I have absolutely no way to evaluate it. It sounds exactly the way I want it, but I do not know if I want it right. Besides, it probably sounds dead, because these are mostly not real instruments, but ordinary VST

To be honest, I do not know what I will do if I quit music. "Composing" (a big word) has always been a therapy, a goal and a dream for me. I solved every problem in my life with music. I remember when I was 20, my mother was dying in the hospital, my girlfriend left me after 5 years of a relationship, and they almost expelled me from college. That day I thought: well, that's it, it's time to die.
Of course, it was scary, so "before I died" I decided to launch a game that I had recently downloaded. It was called Ender Lilies. In the game menu there was a little girl in the rain, and "Ender Lilies - Main Theme" was playing. At that moment I started crying like a baby. I can say for sure that I have never cried like this in my life. As a result, I sat down and wrote 10 soundtracks in a day.

Naturally, I wrote it by ear. It was pretty simple music, because I didn't have any experience at all then, but I put everything I had into it, and probably that's the only reason I didn't jump off the roof that day. I'll attach this album here if anyone is interested, but in fact there is absolutely nothing special about it. The album tells the story of a child who walks through a country infected with the "magic plague" and looks at the horror that is happening in it.

Less than a year has passed since that moment. I've raised my level a lot, I've learned a lot of things, but not music theory. As soon as I plunge into the world of these "frets, steps, intervals", I immediately lose all interest in composing. As my last (and probably best) work, I will attach this one:

In my music, I try to mix the pathos and Gothic grandeur of Dark Souls music with the aggressive electronic style of Carpenter Brut, and partly metal.

However, what is the point of all this? Do you know the feeling when you think you don't know something that everyone else around knows? I will ask for a job somewhere, and they will say to me: no, my friend, you did not graduate from the conservatory. Does it work like this? Or maybe I have a chance? Or maybe my music is just completely hopeless?

To be honest, I'm desperate, because I'm almost 22 years old, and I have to decide exactly what to do next in this life, so as not to waste time in vain. I really like to write music, in any genre, for anything, as long as it has a plot or purpose. But maybe there's nothing waiting for me in this, with this approach? I doubt that I will ever master solfeggio

In general, I'm asking you for a simple piece of advice. It is clear that the final decision remains with me, and in fact I am almost sure that I will NEVER stop writing. However, I want to know your opinion, guys. To hear about it from someone who is just more experienced. Maybe find a teacher (?)I'm sure I'm not the first one, so there will be a solution for me too

Thank you, it's important to me. And sorry for the bad English, I don't know it very well yet

UPD: There are so many good people on this forum. Thank you guys, you gave me an invaluable opinion and dispelled my doubts. I am very glad that I came here

Last edited:
I'm not sure you've given it enough time. There is so much benefit to writing and playing music beyond making a living (though there is always a path if you just keep trying). Here is my advice to someone in your shoes - listen and analyze the kinds of music you like. Learning to compose is similar to learning a new language - you may know what you want to say, but you just don't have the words. Listening to other composers will help you learn more words and become more eloquent. Hang in there - you are off to a great start!

The second track you posted has a lot more interest and attitude to my ear than a lot of stuff written by people with three music degrees, so don't sweat it. Maybe in 10 years you'll get more interested in studying (at least some) theory to see what you can take from it that you'll find useful. I say carry on!

Your English is fine.

You're 21.. I have socks older than you. You haven't even STARTED, music is lifetime and you have all that in front of you, Lord willing.

In fact, to accomplish that much by 21 is pretty impressive. Sure, learn some music theory, that will help you write the chords/harmonies when you orchestrate. You'll be learning a lot more than that in life.

You're at the foot of the mountain and you are trying to get to the summit, but you're not seeing the actual mountain. There's only ONE thing you are missing: Patience.

Keep it going, you are too accomplished at a young age to quit.

Keep going, I am almost echo envious of your passion and that you can write so well without theory (which remember is just a codifying of the things you are hearing as a set of conventions). I have been learning music theory because I can’t hear music they way you and others do, internally and from the heart.

You might find that some music theory knowledge does seep in and you are able to understand more. Lots of composers don’t know music theory, or if they do it is only to a limited extent, but you wouldn’t know that from the complexity of their music no.

You need to keep going, but if you can find balance in your life, other things you can put passion into that would be good.

As soon as I plunge into the world of these "frets, steps, intervals", I immediately lose all interest in composing.
This is the issue. You're mixing up the acquisition of technical skills with an emotional creative state of mind ("composing") and of course it's a buzz killer.

What you need to do is look at "music theory" differently, as something that does not contradict or compete with your "composing". If you find a way to mentally separate them, then you might even find real beauty in such mundane things as voice leading. The same thing goes for learning to read music and play an instrument - you need to conceptualize it mentally as something that's separate from the state of "creation" and feeling high. If you try to stop expecting these disciplines to be the extension of your "flow", then you will be able to "connect" with music theory. And if you love music, each new thing you learn will be a revelation that you can't wait to try.

And just to say one other thing - you're so incredibly lucky to live in a country where music education was literally industrialized on a mass scale until just recently. You are able to hire a conservatory level private teacher for a tiniest fraction of what it would cost in the West. A conservatory student would cost even less as instructor, a music college student less still. You have free access to dozens of invaluable books that have been published during Soviet times, many of which have never been translated into English. You have an incredible culture of music and incredible level of access to learning.

I had a Ukrainian music college teacher as my music theory instructor - all online! - and we went through an entire year of college level harmony. An hour, twice a week. She was so good, I kind of fell in love with music theory. And you have the luxury of being able to do it in person and in the same language. So forgive me for saying this, but quit your whining, shift your mental gears and make a commitment.

This is the issue. You're mixing up the acquisition of technical skills with an emotional creative state of mind ("composing") and of course it's a buzz killer.

What you need to do is look at "music theory" differently, as something that does not contradict or compete with your "composing". If you find a way to mentally separate them, then you might even find real beauty in such mundane things as voice leading. The same thing goes for learning to read music and play an instrument - you need to conceptualize it mentally as something that's separate from the state of "creation" and feeling high. If you try to stop expecting these disciplines to be the extension of your "flow", then you will be able to "connect" with music theory. And if you love music, each new thing you learn will be a revelation that you can't wait to try.

And just to say one other thing - you're so incredibly lucky to live in a country where music education was literally industrialized on a mass scale until just recently. You are able to hire a conservatory level private teacher for a tiniest fraction of what it would cost in the West. A conservatory student would cost even less as instructor, a music college student less still. You have free access to dozens of invaluable books that have been published during Soviet times, many of which have never been translated into English. You have an incredible culture of music and incredible level of access to learning.

I had a Ukrainian music college teacher as my music theory instructor - all online! - and we went through an entire year of college level harmony. An hour, twice a week. She was so good, I kind of fell in love with music theory. And you have the luxury of being able to do it in person and in the same language. So forgive me for saying this, but quite your whining, shift your mental gears and make a commitment.
You right

You're still young and it's never too late to get into this. I dabbled in composition off and on from my teens until my 40's - not as my main career but a hobby. I didn't do it as a career because I didn't know much theory but just wrote by ear and instinct.

It took winning a composing contest when I was 43 to make me realize I should do this as a career. So you have lots of time, don't be in such a hurry and just write music you like. Whether or not it turns into a career, the music you've created will be something you can be proud of.

t took winning a composing contest when I was 43 to make me realize I should do this as a career.
Yeah !! I still have 3 years to make a big change in my life :) There's still hope. That's a good news !

Anyway... There are a lot of things you can learn apart from pure music theory in the classical sense.
Mixing, Sound design, using synth, recording stuff ... Music means sooo many things nowadays.
If I can trust Wikipedia, Carpenter Brut only did 1 year at a Conservatory before quitting.
Maybe he doesn't know music theory much (maybe he does) but he sure knows how to use a synth!

I attended a concert not so long ago and I don't think the room wondered about modulation or counterpoint much during the gig. We were all too busy jumping like crazy.

Obviously, music theory can never be a bad thing (I'm frustrated every day because of how little I know). But you can always find a place where you feel confortable and have fun.

And yes... Only 21. Take it easy. You still have time.

You can't quit! Judging by your story and what I'm hearing in the examples you posted, you really have music in your soul, and you found a way to express it, with or without theory knowledge, doesn't matter. Do what makes you happy, and try not to pay too much attention to the naysayers, they are everywhere unfortunately. Trust your instincts. Learning to read music and theory can be amazing for your skills and development no doubt, but you'll know when you're ready to dive deeper into it.

Until then, please keep going, you have what it takes! If you can already write like that with about 1 year of experience, imagine how good you'll be in 5, 10 years...!

Keep it up, you're very young, and you're off to a great start!

Btw, your influences are pretty amazing, it's incredible rare for people to mention 'Angel's Egg', let alone it's amazing soundtrack, which I happen to love as well, so I know you're a special individual just by that reference! :)

1) Theory and music school aren't important, especially if you want to write game/film music.
2) Focus on what makes you love music and eschew what makes you feel negatively about it.
3) Try to relax and lower the stakes you've built up for music, or you will drain the joy from it completely. Sometimes this means getting a day job and making music in your spare time, purely for your own enjoyment, with zero expectations of yourself and no expectation that anyone else will ever hear it. That is when you'll make your best music and truly find your own voice.
4) Comparing yourself to others and trying to live by their expectations is a path to perpetual unhappiness. It doesn't matter if someone else graduated from conservatory, because they aren't you. And if their music is good, I assure you it's not because they went to conservatory. Also, your parents' opinions don't matter. Don't let someone else's vision of success cloud your own.
5) You have so many years ahead of you to experiment, grow, and learn. If at all possible, don't make those years more stressful than they need to be.
6) I wish you the best of luck, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
First, the music you're writing has a lot of personality.

Just keep on writing, practice is the key here. And as others mentioned. It's a marathon, enjoy the ride. When in despair, be grateful that you have a passion and talent.

Music Theory is just a tool. Thousands of awesome pop/rock/popular musicians and composers (watch some Christian Henson videos) can attest to that fact. Most of them don't even know how to read music or what they re doing. They simply know it sounds good and thats all that matters.

The audience dont give a crap about music theory either.

If, at some point in your artistic journey you find yourself wishing to study some music theory for some specific project of yours go for it.

At your age I had a lot of anxiety related to being able to make a living out of music. And I quitted for a while. If you find you're afraid of that in particular getting part time job to pay the bills might work.

Now, I think the ability to promote your music is paramount.

Last edited:
Are you from Russia? You know that Russia has provided wonderful composers: Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Chostakovich, Prokofiev, Stravinsky, Mussorgsky, Scriabin, Sokolov, Borodin and the immense Tchaikowski! Did you know that Tchaikowski drew some of his musical inspiration from Russian FOLKLORE? For example, if you listen to Lenski's aria in the opera Eugene Onegin, you can clearly hear this typically lyrical moment in folklore, especially when the tenor (and the orchestra) accentuates the crescendo in the middle of the aria. I sang it myself in Russian. It is sublime, divine! So don't be discouraged. If you go to the doctor to have your blood taken and he tells you that, apart from blood cells and platelets, you have an overpopulation of musical notes, it's a good sign! And, why not learn to play an instrument? Piano, violin, flute, guitar or why not the balalaika? I did learn the bluegrass banjo (typically US) while living in Belgium. Learning an instrument will broaden your horizon and enrich your musical knowledge. Even by ear you can progress quickly, especially if you are willing to devote 18 hours a day to it... And, as I said, folk music or world music as it is called nowadays is intensely rich. Folklore does mean "knowledge of the people". Often associated with dances, these musics are the essence of the culture: Bossa, flamenca, fado, katioucha, sirtaki, bluegrass, celtic, raï, kabuki, reggae, rumba, salsa, etc. Never betray the music if it has chosen you.

Your music sounds very good! I'll second what others are saying: don't give up! I think you should learn music theory. But think of it like learning ...Portuguese. If I learn Portuguese, it's not going to detract from my English language abilities. Take some of the pressure off and think of it as a separate activity that doesn't have to apply right away to what you're doing. Estou aprendendo português! Isso é tão divertido! If you think of it more objectively, it doesn't become so oversized a goal. True story: I grew up playing classical piano and could read music pretty well. But I never had music theory. Still, I got accepted to a music conservatory (later in life, at age 34), and they had me take basic classes in music theory. I got up to an advanced level of theory in two years. It can definitely be done! I would get the help of a tutor if you can. But if you can't, a good combination for teaching yourself is https://www.amazon.com/Contemporary-Music-Theory-Complete-Musician/dp/0793598818/ref=asc_df_0793598818/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312030486371&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16961731093314798782&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031639&hvtargid=pla-470455022624&psc=1 (Contemporary Music Theory) and EarMaster 7 software. Dude, you are so young. You've got loads of time.

You can't quit! Judging by your story and what I'm hearing in the examples you posted, you really have music in your soul, and you found a way to express it, with or without theory knowledge, doesn't matter. Do what makes you happy, and try not to pay too much attention to the naysayers, they are everywhere unfortunately. Trust your instincts. Learning to read music and theory can be amazing for your skills and development no doubt, but you'll know when you're ready to dive deeper into it.

Until then, please keep going, you have what it takes! If you can already write like that with about 1 year of experience, imagine how good you'll be in 5, 10 years...!

Keep it up, you're very young, and you're off to a great start!

Btw, your influences are pretty amazing, it's incredible rare for people to mention 'Angel's Egg', let alone it's amazing soundtrack, which I happen to love as well, so I know you're a special individual just by that reference! :)
Angel's Egg is a very underrated work =(

Top Bottom