What's new

Pianoteq 8

What are the standouts in the acoustic piano’s for you guys that own a few ?..I’m thinking Steinway D, Petrof, and YC5….Any nay sayers on those choices ?….If I don’t go with Pianoteq, I love the tone of the piano by itself in Chroma…I’ve got a ton of piano’s, and will probably get a ton more…
Definitely try the Steingraeber, Blüthner and Bechstein.

Underneath Piano V is Modartt's Pianoteq engine, though it looks like it is Version 3, so probably doesn't include most of the recent improvements in sound. I do like Piano V and to be honest I think it would be fine for a lot of people with a decent reverb.

What is interesting about Pianoteq is how different the piano models sound. I wasn't really expecting the level of difference that you can here.

Even though I love Pianoteq, my go-to piano is still SS Signature Grand and Noire, as I love the out-of-the-box sound. Part of this is I also haven't spent enough time getting Pianoteq into a room sound I love. I am very tempted with the Berlin Studio reverb for this reason, and that I am sick of have loads of mics I need to blend.
From my understanding, it’s Arturia pianos at version 3, not Pianoteq engine version 3 at Arturia

To my knowledge the models revoiced were the Steinways D (both NY as well as the HB), the Steinway B, YC5, K2 and U4 + a completely new Wurly EP model labeled W2. The rest of the models benefit from the 8 core upgrade as well as imho the new stretching method introduced which to my ears brought a whole different world on how the harmonics in the bass and the treble behave. That's quite the material for a version upgrade.

From my understanding, it’s Arturia pianos at version 3, not Pianoteq engine version 3 at Arturia
I believe in the text that was found in the code it does say Pianoteq V3 which suggests it is V3 of Pianoteq, but to be honest it is hard to know for certain. In truth it would be easier to give Artutria the newest version of the code as you don't then have to maintain the old version.

To my knowledge the models revoiced were the Steinways D (both NY as well as the HB), the Steinway B, YC5, K2 and U4 + a completely new Wurly EP model labeled W2. The rest of the models benefit from the 8 core upgrade as well as imho the new stretching method introduced which to my ears brought a whole different world on how the harmonics in the bass and the treble behave. That's quite the material for a version upgrade.
Thanks great info. Is this published somewhere?

On a slightly different tangent, anyone attempted getting this to run on a Raspberry Pi? I'm been toying with the idea of building some starter keyboards for niece and nephew types (young enough that headphones and volume control might be a good idea before carving out room for an upright) and I'm tempted to take a crack at a pianoteq-driven digital piano (with speakers that don't suck)

On a slightly different tangent, anyone attempted getting this to run on a Raspberry Pi? I'm been toying with the idea of building some starter keyboards for niece and nephew types (young enough that headphones and volume control might be a good idea before carving out room for an upright) and I'm tempted to take a crack at a pianoteq-driven digital piano (with speakers that don't suck)

Thanks for the info….I see that in the Pro version, you can run your audio up to 192khz….If you guys are running the “Pro” version, do you notice a big difference in sound when bumping up from 48k to say 96k or higher ?..
I’d like to know if running it at a higher sample rate affects latency as with interfaces.

For those who think the new Classical Guitar would sound like a piano, try the Gentle preset, sheer Concerto de Aranjuez material.
I don’t have Pianoteq yet so I can’t really comment on the Classical Guitar except to say that from what I have heard online, the free Foundations Nylon Guitar that I have sounds better…

I bought the Pro version with Steinway D, B, U4 and Harpsichord. Have only had 20 mins with it so far but am quite blown away by the great sound, playability and how easy, fast and intuitive it is. The slider that changes between mint and worn is insane. Will try it more in the studio but very impressed so far.

I believe in the text that was found in the code it does say Pianoteq V3 which suggests it is V3 of Pianoteq, but to be honest it is hard to know for certain. In truth it would be easier to give Artutria the newest version of the code as you don't then have to maintain the old version.
When I compare the Arturia Piano V2 vs. V3, Arturia have made improvements. I've no clue as to whether or not it's a result of any Pianoteq tech, but Piano V3 sounds better now, whatever it is!

I don’t have Pianoteq yet so I can’t really comment on the Classical Guitar except to say that from what I have heard online, the free Foundations Nylon Guitar that I have sounds better…
To be fair Heavyocity’s free Nylon guitar does sound great. It’s pre, produced, has nice effects in the chain and is most usable. What it doesn’t have is Pianoteq’s stunning playability and dynamics. There’s a big difference here, think of Pianoteq as working with the actual guitarist to get your performance and sound then mixing to suit. Heavyocity is more being given the stem from someone else to work with. Very much a different experience when I’m writing tbh.

Top Bottom