What's new

Pianoteq 8

From initially feeling slightly disappointed that there were no new complimentary libraries, I've now just download the new Classical Guitar (for 40% Edu discount so really cheap actually) and have to say I'm blown away by the "Electric Jazz" setting. Would have paid more just for this sound alone. Played a quick improvised demo below. (I played it slightly slower than this and then pushed the tempo up just so I could be accurate on the chord stabs. When I play single lines at fast tempo they sound even more realistic than this - you can tell by the feel sometimes I think that I've done it slower then pushed it.)
Have also messed a bit with the actual classical sound manipulating the spectrum profile to get a good slightly darker Bossa guitar a la Joao Gilberto and it's extremely promising... but this jazz sound may mean my Shreddage Archtop gets slightly less use at the moment..
View attachment jazz guitarr.mp3

From initially feeling slightly disappointed that there were no new complimentary libraries, I've now just download the new Classical Guitar (for 40% Edu discount so really cheap actually) and have to say I'm blown away by the "Electric Jazz" setting. Would have paid more just for this sound alone. Played a quick improvised demo below. (I played it slightly slower than this and then pushed the tempo up just so I could be accurate on the chord stabs. When I play single lines at fast tempo they sound even more realistic than this - you can tell by the feel sometimes I think that I've done it slower then pushed it.)
Have also messed a bit with the actual classical sound manipulating the spectrum profile to get a good slightly darker Bossa guitar a la Joao Gilberto and it's extremely promising... but this jazz sound may mean my Shreddage Archtop gets slightly less use at the moment..
View attachment jazz guitarr.mp3
Hope you don't mind, but just for curiosity's sake I ran your demo through Eventide's SP2016 Room verb, with a little EQ to clean up some muddiness:
View attachment Pianoteq 8 Guitar-EQ+Verb.mp3

Yeah! Listening on my iPhone speaker it sounds more like a steel string than on the original one. Did you take out some mid frequencies?
Good ears - I pulled it down around 500-600Hz by a few db, and also around 240Hz

Played a quick improvised demo.

Nice example, Lambchops!

I also did a few things with the PTQ Guitar where it no longer attempts to sound like a classical nylon, and this one (for which I sent the PTQ Guitar through a Neural DSP amp) I think came out rather well, considering that the dry source sound is a version 1 model of a nylon guitar. You can tell at certain moments it’s not a real guitar of course, but at the same time I can’t think of a sample library that would do significantly better on the whole, and I certainly can’t think of one that would have given me the same effortless performance scope and freedom as the PTQ instrument did. No sample-stitching required: nearly all of the guitar is played live, in one pass.

_

Nice example, Lambchops!

I also did a few things with the PTQ Guitar where it no longer attempts to sound like a classical nylon, and this one (for which I sent the PTQ Guitar through a Neural DSP amp) I think came out rather well, considering that the dry source sound is a version 1 model of a nylon guitar. You can tell at certain moments it’s not a real guitar of course, but at the same time I can’t think of a sample library that would do significantly better on the whole, and I certainly can’t think of one that would have given me the same effortless performance scope and freedom as the PTQ instrument did. No sample-stitching required: nearly all of the guitar is played live, in one pass.

_
Yeah! Sound’s great!
Especially like the low note phrases. Can really hear the “roundwoundness” of the strings.
It occurred to me after hearing @CGR ‘s edit with the reverb and the graphing that because it’s not actually a sample, it’s perfectly possible to tweak until it sounds like a completely different instrument using the harmonic sliders etc and it will maintain all its integrity regarding overtones, harmonics etc. And yep playability wise, whilst I really like my Shreddage guitars, the learning curve, interface and keyswitches do present more of a barrier whereas the PTQ guitar really is load and play. Which is why I love PTQ anyhow.

I upgraded to Pianoteq 8 Pro from 7 Standard. I got a couple of benefits from upgrading versus updating. 1st my license is no longer NFR (it was NFR due to being 2nd hand), 2nd I got to pick 2 instruments (it could be due to the original Pianoteq being purchased then you got less included instruments).

The Pianoteq 8 Pro upgrade cost $81 from Jrrshop but to buy an update plus 2 instruments would have been $90 so it has turned out to be a very good deal.

Nice example, Lambchops!

_
Sounds awesome! What are you using for the drums?

I finally jumped on Pianoteq after demoing since version 6. I went straight for Pro because it was a better deal in the long run - I'm amazed how good version 8 is! And the sound design possibilities are mind boggling. I picked Steinway D, U4, Xylophone and Celeste for my four choices and additionally got the Guitar.

Could someone explain a bit about the "thousands of editable overtones" available in Pro? Is this the Spectrum Profile they are talking about as found in Note Edit? It would be cool to see an in-depth video on this.

I'm not a guitar expert, but I have the impression that Pianoteq plays this guitar with a pick, is there a way to play with the fingers?

I'm not a guitar expert, but I have the impression that Pianoteq plays this guitar with a pick, is there a way to play with the fingers?
Its a finger library. There's no pick to my knowledge.

(Good demo of using the $500 ASM Hydrasynth Explorer's poly aftertouch to control pitch.)

"This instrument is modelled after nylon Classical guitars. Three reference instruments, among these a concert guitar C9 by Luthier Jean-Marie Fouilleul, was used as basis for the model. For the attack part, a finger pick style has been chosen, which is natural given that this instrument is mainly used to play classical, flamenco and Latin music. The idea was to find a sweet spot regarding the amount of nail used during the attack. If it differs from your taste, it is easy to take advantage of the parameters of the model, in order to adjust the sound to the target style. "

Last edited:
I've messed with using Gullfoss and Soothe2 on my pianoteq and Spitfire Hans Zimmer model vsts. These react in real time and solve some problems for me - I've been wanting to get comfortable with a multi-piano library for years - never quite settled in with one. Keyscape and Pianoteq are both great - but some have built in processing presets for things like reverbs, compression and proper EQ'ing. The internal solutions didn't pan out for me. I think Keyscape is a bit of an exception. I could add some new models that I don't have to Pianoteq 8 (I have 11 of their add ons apparently - Steinway Model D K2 grand piano Harp Steingraeber E-272 Electric pianos Hohner Collection Celeste C. Bechstein DG Steelpans instruments Blüthner Model 1 Classical guitar). But I could also pick up Hammers and Waves.

What's interesting about Gulfoss is that it right away helps address the EQ'ing problem in a very general way, eliminating all the frequency build up that makes a piano sound boomy. Soothe addresses transient resonances I guess, which is more helpful for cymbals and heavy electric guitar, but it may help Pianoteq as well.

Does anyone out there have Pianoteq as well as Hammers & Waves, that has an opinion on it? I could buy with a money back guarantee is my understanding - but its like a 50 gig download (ends up being 20 gigs after install). Anyone?

I was always bothered by the color of the low tones in Pianoteq. With the appearance of Petrof Mistral in version 7, the difference compared to the sampled pianos is reduced, but it is still recognizable. I hope that in this version that difference will be noticeably smaller.
Yeah, I think you're describing one of my main issues - I don't think its resolved for me, except as I mentioned above, using external toys.

Top Bottom