What's new

Phaseplant!!!!!!

Joel Blanco Berg just put out some updates to his woodwind presets, and the reed instruments are especially impressive, even down to a lifelike vibrato:

I like the timbre of the concert flute and clarinet 2.0 much better than the original versions. Though I think my favorites are still the oboe and the cor anglais. I see the ring mod right there so it should be easy to modulate that to add in some crazy stuff....

Late to the party but I just bought the Brass, flicked through for 10 minutes then immediately went and bought the woodwinds.
Holy shit if this was the 16th century Joel would be burned at the stake for such witchery.
These are utterly unbelievable! I can’t quite believe what I’m playing is wavetable synthesis.

Late to the party but I just bought the Brass, flicked through for 10 minutes then immediately went and bought the woodwinds.
Holy shit if this was the 16th century Joel would be burned at the stake for such witchery.
These are utterly unbelievable! I can’t quite believe what I’m playing is wavetable synthesis.

I completely agree with you, this guy is a voodoo and he will bewitch my wallet right after making me buy Phaseplant.

I love his brass and woodwinds (at least from what I hear on his videos).

I'm just a little less of a fan of his flutes and I told him what bothered me about them.
It seems that a version 2.2 is in progress from what he answered me.

PhilA thank you for your first feedback.
Would it be possible to have a little demo from you to give me a definitive opinion?

Last edited:
Am I assuming correctly that you really need a MPE type keyboard to fully utilize Joel Blanco Berg’s soundsets?

Can a user get realistic results with these soundsets without having a MPE keyboard?

Last edited:
Am I assuming correctly that you really need a MPE type keyboard to fully utilize Joel Blanco Berg’s soundsets?

Can a user get realistic results with these soundsets without having a MPE keyboard?
I don't have one and they sound great. There's a lot of available macros at the top which can be re-assigned as you please, but for my cases the modwheel is working just fine.

I don't have one and they sound great. There's a lot of available macros at the top which can be re-assigned as you please, but for my cases the modwheel is working just fine.
I almost regret hearing this lol Thanks

No MPE required. The main expression is mod wheel and other params are easily mapped to other CC’s on a midi fader.

I don’t think a demo from a hack amateur like me would sell the product well :)
I’ll just say compared to the price of sample libraries and the other physical modelled options these are a bargain.

That's it, I got my hands on Mr Joel's brass instruments and he managed to do better than Sample Modeling, my reference in the field.
With very few parameters, you can make the sound sound precisely and exactly as you want it, it's magical.

The only two criticisms I could make are that the instruments do not have determined range limits.
So, as I don't know much about it, I could easily go beyond the range of these instruments and do something unrealistic.

Secondly, to make ensembles there are patches for playing in unison, but that means that it will take a lot of midi tracks and I'm not a fan of this kind of method, otherwise I will have to invest in a Divisimate .
Otherwise I had a lot of fun with these instruments, and I recommend them to you.

I just bought Brass 2.2 for PhasePlant and now I'm mapping up MIDI CCs for the flutter, vibrato, and more. But I can't find out how to turn off the reverb. Anyone?

Do you know if there is a way to map Aftertouch/pressure to vibrato? I am using the Osmose.
Both the depth and speed of the vibrato have knobs on the interface where you can map a control CC that the Osmose sends out when you press down a key. Then you can open the "Transformer" on the track input and make a preset to transform Aftertouch into that CC. Works in most DAWs, I have used it in Logic, Cubase, Live, Bitwig, Reaper... I'm not certain I found an equally simple fix in S1 but I guess it should be possible.

Yesterday evening I got Brass and Woodwinds from Joel Blanco Berg and tried some Wagner.

I did nothing fancy. Just played line by line moving the mod wheel, adjusted the legato time in a few places and added some reverb (Inspirata). The strings are NSS marcato, except for the violas which don't have enough range for that (I used Pacific there).

I am quite happy with the result, especially considering how quickly it was done and how easy it is to do on a PC. I wonder what would happen with VWinds and VHorns instead.

Great new freebie for phaseplant, these are really outstanding soundscapes, lots of programming with additional sounds from macros included. I have to say I was totally surprised from such a freebie, they could as well have sold it as new content library:

Great new freebie for phaseplant, these are really outstanding soundscapes, lots of programming with additional sounds from macros included. I have to say I was totally surprised from such a freebie, they could as well have sold it as new content library:

These might be my favorite Phase Plant presets....

Top Bottom