What's new

Phaseplant!!!!!!

Equator2. Especially if you have a Seaboard.
I second this. Equator 2 is a fantastic synth and comes with the best MPE content on the market. It is also a good sounding synth with a semi-modular setup that comes with a decent workflow. So if eventually you want to go deeper and program your own sounds, it is still a very deep platform.
Thank you ! I have two joined roli keys (with the LEDs... I'am a LED sucker :D). Not as powerfull as the Seaboard or the Osmose, but fun. Maybe I'll add them a mini seaboard one day. I enjoy a lot playing with the MPE stuff but there are not much sampled intruments for MPE or even Poly-aftertouch (Ashlight, Fable, Maleventum series, Hypha, and some of the Arturias), and the Roli Studio Player which comes with the hardware do not even allows to record the presets we make !:emoji_frowning2:

Last edited:
Thank you ! I have two joined roli keys (with the LEDs... I'am a LED sucker :D). Not as powerfull as the Seaboard or the Osmose, but fun. Maybe I'll add them a mini seaboard one day. I enjoy a lot playing with the MPE stuff but there are not much sampled intruments for MPE or even Poly-aftertouch (Ashlight, Fable, Maleventum series, Hypha, and some of the Arturias), and the Roli Studio Player which comes with the hardware do not even allows to record the presets we make !:emoji_frowning2:
Equator2 has many sampled instruments with multisamples and round-robins. (Meaning they sampled different notes on the instrument (multisamples) which will play when you press the corresponding key, and sampled each note multiple times (round robins), so that each time you press the same note you get a new sample.) You can also load your own multisamples.

Here's a list of sampled instruments that come with Equator2 (there are more in some of the paid soundpacks, which usually go on sale every quarter, with a 50% off sale for Black Friday):

Phase Plant does not have multisamples or round robins, though Kilohearts has said they're thinking about adding them sometime in the future.

Equator2 has many sampled instruments with multisamples and round-robins. (Meaning they sampled different notes on the instrument (multisamples) which will play when you press the corresponding key, and sampled each note multiple times (round robins), so that each time you press the same note you get a new sample.) You can also load your own multisamples.

Here's a list of sampled instruments that come with Equator2 (there are more in some of the paid soundpacks, which usually go on sale every quarter, with a 50% off sale for Black Friday):

Phase Plant does not have multisamples or round robins, though Kilohearts has said they're thinking about adding them sometime in the future.
Thanks a lot for all your clarifications ! I just took Equator 2, and I'm trying it. Quite overwhelming for now but I will learn :)
Maybe, if I become a synth addict I will also try Phase Plant one day, but it's seems Equator is the good choice for me now.

Thanks a lot for all your clarifications ! I just took Equator 2, and I'm trying it. Quite overwhelming for now but I will learn :)
Maybe, if I become a synth addict I will also try Phase Plant one day, but it's seems Equator is the good choice for me now.
Beware, i have more synths than i have time to use them. And that is without my hardware stuff lmao. With that said, Phase Plant has managed to become my synth of choice most of the time, even though i have Zebra 2 + HZ, Diva, Repro, Serum, Omnisphere, Synthmaster and a whole fucking bunch more that i probably forgot about. It is just fun and easy to make complex sounds in.

Its modeling is refined and becomes more and more realistic.
This is not the case for all his instruments, but his baritone saxophone... WOW!

This proves that there is no need to sample 10 hours of an instrument and fill an entire hard drive to have something proban.
A small wavetable containing just the tones of the instrument, all passing through various filters, and that's it.
Of course everything is not that simple and I would love to know the recipe.
One day I will look into this type of modeling on MSoundFactory.

All Joel Blanco Berg instruments are available here:

Too bad that not all wavetable synths manage the evolution of the sound on the X and Y axes like Tomofon does.
It could have helped with more realism by having a wavetable per note, Y for dynamics and X for pitch (legato and co).

What the holy crap! I'm pretty advanced with synthesis in general but this is some next level stuff. My attempts with wavetables to re-create acoustic instruments have been rudimentary and shoddy at best. This is mind-blowingly good, and because it's using synthesis the legato is buttery smooth. Wild.

What the holy crap! I'm pretty advanced with synthesis in general but this is some next level stuff. My attempts with wavetables to re-create acoustic instruments have been rudimentary and shoddy at best. This is mind-blowingly good, and because it's using synthesis the legato is buttery smooth. Wild.
Indeed, very impressive presets! When you know that even with good samples it's hard to make a really playable libray, i'm very impressed by the result.
This is great!

At first I assumed this was part of the Expressive E Phase Plant bundle deal, but it's not. It's a separate content bank called "Extended Play" with 50 presets ($29).

Also... I'm surprised by how bad that guy makes the Osmose sound in places. Not just vibrato but pressure too. Literally made me wince. Guess it's probably their technique. If so, they should have kept doing takes until they got something better than that.

At first I assumed this was part of the Expressive E Phase Plant bundle deal, but it's not. It's a separate content bank called "Extended Play" with 50 presets ($29).

Also... I'm surprised by how bad that guy makes the Osmose sound in places. Not just vibrato but pressure too. Literally made me wince. Guess it's probably their technique. If so, they should have kept doing takes until they got something better than that.
I concur. The demos Kilohearts put out are never that good, and that’s an understatement. They should have gone for Mike Pensini, who has made fun and very musical playthrough videos for Expressive E’s other synths in the past.

Is there a list of all the Phase Plant content banks with presets designed for MPE controllers anywhere? I found one with 11 presets designed for MPE (doesn't seem to specify which controllers):

Hello.

That Phase Plant + preset packs for 99€ offer looks interesting. Does anyone know if buying this pack makes the Kilohearts Ultimate bundle cheaper? If so, much much cheaper is it?
Normal price would be 380€ in my country.

Once again I am impressed by the work done on this modeling, and in particular on the emulation of legatos / portamento.
Its developer says that more than sixty percent of its construction is dedicated to legatos, and that only the brass and baritone sax are equipped with this new programming.
He is preparing to update his woods with the same implementations, maybe soon a competitor to VWinds?

I already have MSoundFactory and Wivi Pro and I don't like having several programs of the same type, but I admit that at the moment certain plugins stand out and I am in the process of considering whether to purchase the VWinds / VHorns series or the Phaseplant / Joel Blanco Berg combo.

If there were more opinions and examples of users of Mr Blanco Berg's products, it could help me make a final choice.
Knowing that this would turn out to be cheaper than the Acoustisample V collection.

Once again I am impressed by the work done on this modeling, and in particular on the emulation of legatos / portamento.
Its developer says that more than sixty percent of its construction is dedicated to legatos, and that only the brass and baritone sax are equipped with this new programming.
He is preparing to update his woods with the same implementations, maybe soon a competitor to VWinds?
I guess the presets don't also have midi controls or macros set up to do crazy stuff with whatever complicated internal chains he's set up? Wonder how difficult it would be to do that myself... and how many additional effects I'd have to buy.

I guess the presets don't also have midi controls or macros set up to do crazy stuff with whatever complicated internal chains he's set up? Wonder how difficult it would be to do that myself... and how many additional effects I'd have to buy.
From the site:

Brass

A complete collection of all the standard instruments of a brass section in an orchestra.
Modeled with wavetable synthesis and noise synthesis.
Each instrument has multiple solo presets with unique convolution reverb so they can be played in unison without phasing.

Instruments included:

• Trumpet (3x)
  • French horn (4x)
  • Tenor Trombone (3x)
  • Bass Trombone (3x)
  • Tuba (1x)

Dynamics

100% smooth transition from pp-FF. Since there are no dynamic layers, there are no crossfading between layers.​

Adjustable legato speed

Legato speed is adjustable from split second note transition to a slow second long slur.

Articulations

Vibrato

Most libraries achieve vibrato by pitching the samples back and forth. The problem with that is that you will also pitch the formants of the sound which can make it sound unnatural.
Since this instrument is based on a wavetable, there are no limits to how far you can pitch the sound other than the mapped range.

Glide/Portamento

Glide freely across the entire range without any pitch shifting artifacts.

Flutter

Growl

Staccato

Short notes are played on the first note of a legato line. They can be either velocity sensitive, modwheel sensitive or anything in between. This is adjustable by the knob named "Staccato vel"

Legato

Plays on each connected note. Legato speed is adjustable with the knob "Legato speed"

Trills

Perform trills by yourself

Shake

A shake is performed the same way as a Trill. You just use larger intervals. Usually around a third. ( I think?)

Brass update 2.1 includes (Source: newsletter):

Brass update 2.1. Trumpet Mutes and bug fix

A minor update to the solo brass instruments and Brass preset bank:

Trumpet Mutes ( requires Snap Heap )

Mutes has been added. Cup-, Harmon- and Stem mute. Only for the trumpet so far. Although they can be used for other instruments, I cannot garantee that it will sound particulary good :) I will add specific mutes for the other instruments in the coming updates.

All mutes have the following control knobs:

Mix

Mix knob controls the strength of the mute. Useful if you dont want it as harch sounding.

Size

Controls the size of the mute. Basically moves the formants up or down in frequency.

Wah wah

I didnt know what to call this, but it simulates a hand covering the bell.​

Unison bug

In version 2.0 all unison instruments started with the same phase, which could sometimes result in sounding like one instrument if you recorded them in one take.
That has now been fixed.

Top Bottom