What's new

Phaseplant!!!!!!

But these modelled instruments, completely synthetic, sound absolutely amazing. I am definitely going to have to buy these if only to try and look into the patches and hope to find out how true synthesis geniuses work.
I agree that they sound very good. I wonder what the CPU usage is? Maybe I should be grateful I don’t have Phase Plant or I would have been tempted by these presets as well.

I just discovered this synth and it sounds amazing. Fawkes is in my basket as I write.

I didn't read every page, but if someone missed this, check out Joel Blanco Berg's instrument creations! Brass and woodwinds sound absolutely amazing.

Yes! Another Phase Plant convert! :D

PP is a hell of synth. I've noticed that my usage of other synths has dropped very drastically since doing things in PP takes me less time than using other synths...

Hello, I just received a e-mail from Expresssive E : they have a Phase Plant bundle with their MPE expressive suite for 99 euros (until April 15th). Seems quite interesting when you have a MPE controller. I'm tempted.
Oh, you mean the 99 euros includes Phase Plant as well as their MPE expressive suite. Hmm. I'm seeing it for $99 USD (accessing the site from the US). Looks like it ends April 15th.

Wonder how many of the expressive suite presets use effects other than the free ones... so that if we want to edit those effects in the presets we'll have to pay extra for each effect. In the preset playthrough I can't really tell, though I definitely see multiple simultaneous instances of Convolver in the walkthrough video. I'd assume that there's no way to demo the expressive suite before buying. Bit odd that they came out with this offer so soon after Arturia did something similar for Pigments (which did get me to buy Pigments...).

Oh, you mean the 99 euros includes Phase Plant as well as their MPE expressive suite. Hmm. I'm seeing it for $99 USD (accessing the site from the US). Looks like it ends April 15th.

Wonder how many of the expressive suite presets use effects other than the free ones... so that if we want to edit those effects in the presets we'll have to pay extra for each effect. In the preset playthrough I can't really tell, though I definitely see multiple simultaneous instances of Convolver in the walkthrough video. I'd assume that there's no way to demo the expressive suite before buying. Bit odd that they came out with this offer so soon after Arturia did something similar for Pigments (which did get me to buy Pigments...).
Oh ! Sorry if I wrongly choosed my words I'm not a native english speaker. Yes, it's Phase Plants + Expressive E's MPE suite, until april 15th. I never bought any big synth like this, it seems quite scarry in fact, but I don't have much MPE intruments to feed my little Roli, and I find MPE very fun to play... But maybe is it an overkill for my usage (or maybe I'll love it and become a "synth addict", but for now I'm more into real intruments)

This example from their Expressive Suite just uses the free Phase Plant effects, but the sound quality seems a little lacking in terms of saturation/distortion and sense of depth:

Other than that it seems like a nicely designed complex patch though, and I could improve it with some external effects (Acustica etc.).

The preset in their Sax MPE preset video uses Convolver and Faturator, which cost extra (if you want to edit the settings).

Its modeling is refined and becomes more and more realistic.
This is not the case for all his instruments, but his baritone saxophone... WOW!

This proves that there is no need to sample 10 hours of an instrument and fill an entire hard drive to have something proban.
A small wavetable containing just the tones of the instrument, all passing through various filters, and that's it.
Of course everything is not that simple and I would love to know the recipe.
One day I will look into this type of modeling on MSoundFactory.

All Joel Blanco Berg instruments are available here:

Too bad that not all wavetable synths manage the evolution of the sound on the X and Y axes like Tomofon does.
It could have helped with more realism by having a wavetable per note, Y for dynamics and tones and X for pitch (legato and co).

Last edited:
I own Phaseplant but have never actually used it, this is changing my mind
I was seriously considering ditching the entire synth, because I always gravitate towards Halion, MSF and Falcon. The Expressive E presets (last week) and especially these ones have entirely pulled me back in. I am somehow even more impressed by these sounds than by the recent VWinds, just because of how they’re made.

For a synth noob, who mostly seeks for MPE content (presets in particular), which one is the best choice between the Phase Plant Bundle (99 Euros) and the Equator 2 (116 euros with the 15% + the promo as a roli owner) ? I like very much the sounds of Equator 2 and I have the feeling that Phase Plant is a little more complicated for beginners (but maybe more powerfull for experimented users) and that there are less MPE presets. Am I right ?

For a synth noob, who mostly seeks for MPE content (presets in particular), which one is the best choice between the Phase Plant Bundle (99 Euros) and the Equator 2 (116 euros with the 15% + the promo as a roli owner) ? I like very much the sounds of Equator 2 and I have the feeling that Phase Plant is a little more complicated for beginners (but maybe more powerfull for experimented users) and that there are less MPE presets. Am I right ?
Equator2. Especially if you have a Seaboard.

Top Bottom