What's new

Phaseplant!!!!!!

Yeah, y'all's explanations make sense. Thanks for that. It's just that I've never heard the term "per note distortion" ever used by Kuassa, Ample Guitar, Positive Grid, Line 6, IK Multimedia or whoever makes software amps. They are, however, quick to tout 2x to 8x oversampling as the holy grail of authenticity.

Also, the embarrassing thing is I kept on switching back and forth between Poly being off and on and couldn't hear the difference using delay or reverb. I'll give the distortion thing a looksee later.
Try this:
  • put the delay fully wet on Lane 1
  • modulate the delay time with triangle LFO (should be triggered by each new played note)
  • play three note chord where note timing is slightly set apart
When Poly is off you will hear one pitch sweeping tone for all the notes in the chord.
When Poly is on you will hear three separate sweeps set apart depending and when you triggered the notes.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, y'all's explanations make sense. Thanks for that. It's just that I've never heard the term "per note distortion" ever used by Kuassa, Ample Guitar, Positive Grid, Line 6, IK Multimedia or whoever makes software amps. They are, however, quick to tout 2x to 8x oversampling as the holy grail of authenticity.
Well yeah because those are stereo processors and not synths!

Many (most?) synths have polyphonic distortion. Either in the filter itself or as part of the voice architecture.

Some of the Roland G series Guitar synths from the late 70s and early 80s onwards had a hexaphonic fuzz mode which was separate from the synth section I think.

Has there been any posted rankings /ratings or preferences re. PP Sound Banks ?
Counting 16 now and only few preferences, based on known creators.
Leaning to: Animus, Polychrome Suspension.

Last edited:
I must admit: I'm rather enjoying PP. Truly, I am. It's definitely not one of those synths where, with just one quick glance, you know what it already sounds like.

Someone on another forum mentioned the ProTools synth, SynthCell, so I went over to look at it. Let's see: Two oscillators with the typical pulse, saw, tri, etc. Two filters with the typical LP12, notch, etc. Typical filter and amp envelopes. Typical mod LFO and Matrix. Rudimentary typical arpeggiator. Typical effects - reverb, delay, distortion, chorus, flanger and phaser. Yep. It's sound is already in my head.

I'm really spoiled because once you get full-featured free synths like SurgeXT, GR-8, Monique, Helm, Podolski, Ocean Swift stuff and especially Vital, I think the big companies really need to up their game.

I must admit: I'm rather enjoying PP. Truly, I am. It's definitely not one of those synths where, with just one quick glance, you know what it already sounds like.

Someone on another forum mentioned the ProTools synth, SynthCell, so I went over to look at it. Let's see: Two oscillators with the typical pulse, saw, tri, etc. Two filters with the typical LP12, notch, etc. Typical filter and amp envelopes. Typical mod LFO and Matrix. Rudimentary typical arpeggiator. Typical effects - reverb, delay, distortion, chorus, flanger and phaser. Yep. It's sound is already in my head.

I'm really spoiled because once you get full-featured free synths like SurgeXT, GR-8, Monique, Helm, Podolski, Ocean Swift stuff and especially Vital, I think the big companies really need to up their game.
what I personally like about synths like Phase Plant (Absynth is another good example) is that it doesn't really have an opinion, it doesn't sound like anything other than what you make it sound like. Not talking about the presets, they probably do have an opinion, I haven't checked. But PP is just a large, open sandbox for creating sounds you want to create without it trying to guide you or suggest any particular path. I like that Absynth opens with a default preset that is one sine wave and nothing else, Phase Plant with a blank canvas. It's a brave choice but it leaves you free to explore where and how you want to.
Synths that have a sound and an intention are useful too because they can save you time if how they sound is where you would want to head anyway, if it isn't then it's just annoying as you try and change its mind.
My own preferences only, I'm a bit of a different use case from a composer or musician.

what I personally like about synths like Phase Plant (Absynth is another good example) is that it doesn't really have an opinion, it doesn't sound like anything other than what you make it sound like. Not talking about the presets, they probably do have an opinion, I haven't checked. But PP is just a large, open sandbox for creating sounds you want to create without it trying to guide you or suggest any particular path. I like that Absynth opens with a default preset that is one sine wave and nothing else, Phase Plant with a blank canvas. It's a brave choice but it leaves you free to explore where and how you want to.
Synths that have a sound and an intention are useful too because they can save you time if how they sound is where you would want to head anyway, if it isn't then it's just annoying as you try and change its mind.
My own preferences only, I'm a bit of a different use case from a composer or musician.
Totally agree. That's probably the main reason I keep coming back to Zebra after all these years.

Right! I really must give Zebra a proper go some time, haven't tried it since the very early days and on paper it really sounds like my kind of thing.
Just entered the Phase Plant realm and I must say it reminds me of Zebra: modules, lanes, cross modulation. Same vibe but different sound though. Hope you will jump on Zebra, I like your work on Lion and the various Arturia synths. Will pick up Suspension and SleepSystem one day.

spend some time getting acquainted with the comb filter
I love comb filters, use them a lot! Put one to use in the Bowed Gong preset I made for the Arturia Prophet VS that just released :)

Hope you will jump on Zebra, I like your work on Lion and the various Arturia synths. Will pick up Suspension and SleepSystem one day
thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Hardly ever get feedback on the Lion stuff! Zebra has scratched at the back of my head for years, no idea why I haven't pulled the trigger. I guess by now I just have a lot of big powerhouse synths and only so much time. One day though. I'm sure.

Just entered the Phase Plant realm and I must say it reminds me of Zebra: modules, lanes, cross modulation. Same vibe but different sound though. Hope you will jump on Zebra, I like your work on Lion and the various Arturia synths. Will pick up Suspension and SleepSystem one day.
It's interesting in my case how I almost immediately clicked with Phase Plant, but demoing Zebra 2 a while ago was like running into a brick wall for me - and both seemed very intimidating at a first glance to a newbie like me. One just did not work for me at all, while the other did but I have a lot to learn and explore about it. I'm sure that if I put in the time and effort I could make it work, but I'm just happy to have a playground platform that seems to work for me with Phase Plant. Sort of like an Advanced Sonic Laboratory.

I'll probably take another look at Zebra 2(/3?) some time down the line. Then again, while trying to learn Phase Plant I'm also still chewing through Diva, the Repro duo and Hive 2, alongside a bunch of other synths like Generate, Thorn, Padshop, Massive X, Pigments, stuff from the V Collection and some others.

So, plenty to learn about and experiment with on my existing stuff.

I say this while contemplating upgrading the V Collection...

Phase Plant with a blank canvas.
That's what I appreciate about it too, but it's also what keeps me from fully committing to it. Sometimes I like the more standard architectures and limitations. Blank canvases in powerful tools can be both inviting to almost limitless possibilities and scary or daunting to get started with.

@emptyvessel said, "...and only so much time."

That's my issue right there. As a technical-minded person, I don't mind diving headfirst into Phaseplant's or MSoundFactory's modules to create my own patch; however, smitten by the create music bug with a dash of bipolar for flavor, it sometimes becomes imperative that I get the bulging ideas in my throbbing skull onto a track as quickly as possible before my apartment building gets swallowed up by an errant mudslide.

@emptyvessel said, "...and only so much time."

That's my issue right there. As a technical-minded person, I don't mind diving headfirst into Phaseplant's or MSoundFactory's modules to create my own patch; however, smitten by the create music bug with a dash of bipolar for flavor, it sometimes becomes imperative that I get the bulging ideas in my throbbing skull onto a track as quickly as possible before my apartment building gets swallowed up by an errant mudslide.
What I try to do is to have separate composing and sound design session. If you have the urge and need to get your ideas out, get them out. Design the sounds later. Or design sounds you'd want to use and the use them once the need to compose comes.

100% of the sounds I've made for my commercial releases stem not from trying to make some particular style or trying to hit a trend; each and every sound I've created for those is a sound I would want to use (and I use them all the time). :)

but I have a lot to learn and explore about it
conflicts with:
I say this while contemplating upgrading the V Collection...
I'm just saying ;) Seriously though that's quite a list of pretty complex synths, it would take a long time to fully explore and learn what you have already.
Blank canvases in powerful tools can be both inviting to almost limitless possibilities and scary or daunting to get started with.
yeah fair enough. For me I find it helps to have template presets, for Phase Plant (and all the complex plugins I use) I have quite a few with a few engines I know I'm likely to use for a given type of sound, a few FX already added running presets I already created. Sure I seldom use them 100% as the template starts but it still saves a bunch of time and it does overcome that blank canvas paralysis.

Also, I separate where possible the sound design stages and the music creation stages. I might spend Sunday morning exploring and making samples, and presets for the plugins (or DAW devices) I like to use a lot. Then when I feel like working on some music I can just pull up raw material I already made.
@tressie5 I feel like these apply to what you've said also. The mudslide issue I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, speed does seem like a good way to go, or a different apartment maybe?

Again, just what works for me. Not everyone is the same and I'm absolutely not trying to preach or say I know best.

@Kuusniemi hah snap :)
100% of the sounds I've made for my commercial releases stem not from trying to make some particular style or trying to hit a trend; each and every sound I've created for those is a sound I would want to use
Absolutely the way I work and always have, commissions I'll sometimes need to take a different approach but for my own packs for sure this is the way to go.

@Kuusniemi hah snap :)

Absolutely the way I work and always have, commissions I'll sometimes need to take a different approach but for my own packs for sure this is the way to go.
Excatly the reason I love Phase Plant. It doesn't point you to anything, it's all up to you. :)

Then again it's so easy to go overboard with PP. Sometimes creating the simple sound is soo much harder than doing something very complex.

Excatly the reason I love Phase Plant. It doesn't point you to anything, it's all up to you. :)

Then again it's so easy to go overboard with PP. Sometimes creating the simple sound is soo much harder than doing something very complex.
so true, some sessions I'll get to something I like then instead of stopping I continue messing with it, adding things, oh just a bit more modulation, bit more, ooh something else, ooh modulate that too. ...half an hour passes...
[modulation intensifies]
...another 15 minutes passes...
Wait, ah, yeah this sounds horrendous.
Great. :D

People say software doesn't compare to hardware but for $99 you genuinely can accurately simulate the amount of time wasted to make awful noises that you can waste making awful noises with a large, expensive eurorack system! Can't tell the difference in any A/B test I've tried! ;)

so true, some sessions I'll get to something I like then instead of stopping I continue messing with it, adding things, oh just a bit more modulation, bit more, ooh something else, ooh modulate that too. ...half an hour passes...
[modulation intensifies]
...another 15 minutes passes...
Wait, ah, yeah this sounds horrendous.
Great. :D

People say software doesn't compare to hardware but for $99 you genuinely can accurately simulate the amount of time wasted to make awful noises that you can waste making awful noises with a large, expensive eurorack system! Can't tell the difference in any A/B test I've tried! ;)
If it sounds bad then expensive bad isn't better... :D

Top Bottom