What's new

** PEARL CONCERT GRAND - Newly denoised sample set (2.4)

Funny how the noise is being mentioned now.....With all the embellishments that are added to many piano programs to add realism,stupid me thought that the noise was one of them......that is until I turned everything off in this program that I thought was creating this sound to no avail...duhhhh !

We did make improvements to the noise on releases and sustained notes by tweaking envelopes, but it is extraordinarily hard to de-noise whisper-quiet samples recorded in a huge concert hall. That said now that RX7 is available we're going to go back to the source material and see if we can do even better.

ISW, thanks big time for looking into this! There are a lot of extraneous noises in the samples, especially the low velocity ones, such as trucks/cars going by, coughs, rumbles, and a few double strikes. The stage and hall mics are even more problematic because of the distance from the piano picking up more of this outside noise. I love the sound of the library, but when holding long sustained notes at lower velocities, it becomes a huge distraction. I guess this is mostly a problem with the venue where is was sampled.

Maybe if you are going back to the original samples, you can also ring out some additional clarity as well with the better tools we have now. One other thing to maybe look into; the mic outs weren't working for me to separate them to different channels using Kontakt in Cubase. My other vsts seem to work ok. Not sure if anyone else noticed this.

I love Pearl...my favorite piano. Just on the bug front though...

This new version seems to have a sustain bug. If I have the main 24-bit patch loaded in Kontakt (latest version) play a little bit, then put it in the background, do some other tasks (e.g. check email and such), then come back to playing the piano, the sustain pedal doesn't work and all notes are held in a sustain. It has happened a couple of times so far.

Oh... this is on OSX (latest version). I haven't noticed this occurring in my DAW. I also cannot replicate this consistently, though it has happened multiple times.

Hello all! I'm pleased to announce the release of Pearl 2.1 which includes a completely revamped sample set. We went back to the original master recordings so that we could apply the latest noise reduction techniques and get rid of that hiss buildup that was prevalent when playing lots of low-velocity notes (particularly with the pedal down.) In total there should be about 12dB of additional noise reduction when compared to the previous version, and more of the tone of each note is preserved in the tails as well.

We hope you will enjoy this free update!

If you DON'T have Pearl yet, we're putting it on sale for just $79 through March 8th:

I love Pearl...my favorite piano. Just on the bug front though...

This new version seems to have a sustain bug. If I have the main 24-bit patch loaded in Kontakt (latest version) play a little bit, then put it in the background, do some other tasks (e.g. check email and such), then come back to playing the piano, the sustain pedal doesn't work and all notes are held in a sustain. It has happened a couple of times so far.

Oh... this is on OSX (latest version). I haven't noticed this occurring in my DAW. I also cannot replicate this consistently, though it has happened multiple times.
Had the same issue running the 24bit version in LogicProX 10.3.2 under MacOSX 10.11.6 (haven't tried the 16bit)

I adjusted the continuous pedal value roll off speed dial (I use a Yamaha CP4 Stage & Yamaha continuous sustain pedal) but it didn't seem to make any difference. All was OK with the exact same setup with Pearl v2.0

Strange, we will look into this.
If you are running in standalone and hit the exclamation point in Kontakt when you return, it will solve it. Pearl's my go-to piano, so the bug is just a minor thing to me. Haven't quite ironed out when it happens specifically, but it might have to do with OSX going to sleep.

Have similar issue in Windows 10. When I press the sustain pedal, hit a note, and then release both the pedal and key, the samples sustains - plays to the end of the sample. I tried to load an old nki from the previous version copied over to the new folder and now it does the same thing. May be related to the resource container. I now deleted everything and went back to the previous version.

Wow, very nice. One of my favorite pianos, now with a new flavor! This remains one of the most inspiring pianos for me to play and compose. Thanks for the update, this is indeed much quieter, but glad I still have the noisy version too. :)

BTW samples themselves being new/cleaner cannot really be the reason for the sustain pedal thing, obviously.

Is anybody else having problems with the 24bit hall perspective samples in version 2.1?
Some notes don't play at all and some produce a lot of hiss.
Is there a way to downgrade to a previous version?

Hmm, I think I remember encountering that bug with the sustain pedal, and owing it up to Digital Performer 10.11 glitches vs. the Kontakt library, but it was a couple of months ago now and so I don't remember whether a restart was enough, or whether Reset All Controllers (MIDI CC) did the trick, or briefly switching tracks. I'll be working with Pearl on one song over the next few days, so I'll keep this in mind.

As for the issue with the 24-bit hall perspective samples, I am not quite sure what is meant by this?

As for the issue with the 24-bit hall perspective samples, I am not quite sure what is meant by this?

Load up the 24 bit instrument, activate only the hall mic perspective, start playing and tell us what you hear.

I also have some strange effects when repedaling is turned on. But when it's off it's ok, even if I try to repedal with rp off it seems to work. Or maybe I don't understand the concept of repedaling at all o_O

And OMG! Simeon liked my post!! So, once ISW has fixed the issue we will hopefully get a cool Pearl review from Simeon. (Meanwhile, I would still love to get a review of the EWQL pianos)

Load up the 24 bit instrument, activate only the hall mic perspective, start playing and tell us what you hear.

I've only been using the Close & Pedal mics, so just loaded up the 24bit Hall mics only - same results here. Many notes don't sound, and the notes which do sound have a prominent static/white noise. Very strange. Sample audio attached.

Also, I've noted the note release samples don't sound regardless of the level set on the Note Release Noise control (but they are audible if you play the individual release samples in the Mapping Editor under the hood of Full Kontakt). I've submitted a support ticket regarding this problem.

Attachments

• Pearl Concert Grand Hall mics notes noise.mp3
    514.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I have been working with Pearl for a while and have been really enjoying my experience, it is very well done. I shared my findings with ISW Support and they assured me they were working on an update. Here is a short clip from a longer video I sent to ISW just to confirm that this is what other users are seeing.

I can't imagine how everyone is keeping up so well during all of the craziness going on so I appreciate all of the great support from everyone. @FlyingAndi and yes I look forward to doing a full playthrough soon. :emoji_nerd:

I've only been using the Close & Pedal mics, so just loaded up the 24bit Hall mics only - same results here. Many notes don't sound, and the notes which do sound have a prominent static/white noise. Very strange. Sample audio attached.

Also, I've noted the note release samples don't sound regardless of the level set on the Note Release Noise control (but they are audible if you play the individual release samples in the Mapping Editor under the hood of Full Kontakt). I've submitted a support ticket regarding this problem.

If repedaling is ON, then release noises will not trigger. Can you confirm whether it is OFF or ON?

If repedaling is ON, then release noises will not trigger. Can you confirm whether it is OFF or ON?
Just checked Andrew and repedaling was ON. Switched it OFF and I can now hear the release samples and adjust the volume. Any idea of update timeline for the Hall mics issues?

Top Bottom