What's new

Patchboard public release

ok great. now If we can get a bunch of reaper users including me interested in spending some money to develop this in combination with patchboard, reaper and reaticulate that would be awesome, maybe by starting a new poll thread to see if there is any interest ?
cheers, lokotus

Patchboard users - I imported a Logic articulation set into Patchboard for the first time today to start a patch... and it imports the switches into "Alt Triggers" in the patch - which don't seem to send any MIDI data. this is from a beta build from last year so this feature isn't mentioned in the docs yet. Is there a way to use these "Alt Triggers" yet? If I set up the regular trigger column with the same data, all works as it should. But I'd like to not have to do that :). Thanks if anyone knows!

EDIT: I figured out it is very simple to drag over the alt triggers to the regular triggers so this was not that big of a deal, but I'd love to learn what the lat triggers are still if anyone is running this beta.

Last edited:
Patchboard users - I imported a Logic articulation set into Patchboard for the first time today to start a patch... and it imports the switches into "Alt Triggers" in the patch - which don't seem to send any MIDI data. this is from a beta build from last year so this feature isn't mentioned in the docs yet. Is there a way to use these "Alt Triggers" yet? If I set up the regular trigger column with the same data, all works as it should. But I'd like to not have to do that :). Thanks if anyone knows!

EDIT: I figured out it is very simple to drag over the alt triggers to the regular triggers so this was not that big of a deal, but I'd love to learn what the lat triggers are still if anyone is running this beta.
The "Alt Triggers" are a mechanism I added for storing the underlying MIDI messages the articulation set or expression map sends to the instrument to trigger it. In most cases where you're using articulation sets, for example, you don't send those triggers to the instrument directly. Instead, you'll send some remote trigger that the articulation set uses to activate a specific articulation. Another use case would be importing an existing articulation set just to get the data imported but you're not using it in Logic. In that case, you want to talk to the instrument directly so you'd want to move the Alt Triggers over like you did.

It's kinda half-baked as a feature right now. The eventual goal is to be able to export patches as expression maps or articulation sets so you could import them into your DAW. It would then auto-generate new triggers for you and move the "direct" triggers into the Alt Triggers.

The "Alt Triggers" are a mechanism I added for storing the underlying MIDI messages the articulation set or expression map sends to the instrument to trigger it. In most cases where you're using articulation sets, for example, you don't send those triggers to the instrument directly. Instead, you'll send some remote trigger that the articulation set uses to activate a specific articulation. Another use case would be importing an existing articulation set just to get the data imported but you're not using it in Logic. In that case, you want to talk to the instrument directly so you'd want to move the Alt Triggers over like you did.

It's kinda half-baked as a feature right now. The eventual goal is to be able to export patches as expression maps or articulation sets so you could import them into your DAW. It would then auto-generate new triggers for you and move the "direct" triggers into the Alt Triggers.
Ah great, thank you! So to be clear the "Alt Triggers" are midi messages received by Patchboard to trigger the articulation rather than pressing the pad on the iPad or App right? But don't actually do anything with the DAW. Maybe "Input Trigger" would be a better name or something like that if that's a correct understanding.

The set I imported had no "switches" programmed, only "outputs", and those were put into the alt triggers. I did want to use this patch in Logic, but the alt triggers don't send data and so I moved them over to the triggers yes. Love the idea of your eventual goal, that would be incredibly useful. I've created hundreds of patches that I use with Pro Tools and so it would be awesome if I could export those as Articulation Sets to then use within Logic when working with that DAW. looking forward to that. thx!

Is there a way to batch tags in PB? Or does the tagging need to be done for each track one by one ?
Can disabled tracks still be tagged inside PB without being enabled first ?

Anyone using Cubase 12/13 Mac Silicon having issues with Patchboard crashing Cubase?

I recently upgraded from a Mac Pro 2019 to a Mac Studio and Patchboard won't work with Cubase 12 or 13 running natively. It does work with Rosetta, obviously. I'm just trying to gauge if this is a local issue or a Patchboard issue.

Anyone using Cubase 12/13 Mac Silicon having issues with Patchboard crashing Cubase?

I recently upgraded from a Mac Pro 2019 to a Mac Studio and Patchboard won't work with Cubase 12 or 13 running natively. It does work with Rosetta, obviously. I'm just trying to gauge if this is a local issue or a Patchboard issue.
No crashing issues here. Running Cubase 12 natively on silicon on M1 Pro.

Very recently, i bought patchboard too (the DIY version). It'll take me a long time to completely overhaul the template to work with patchboard, but it's very easy and fast to create a patch in there. Importing an articulation set from logic wasn't super straight forward, and i'm not sure it recognizes multi-midi-channel sets. But overall, i think it will save me a lot of time in the long run.
I also saw the macro panel, but haven't tried this one yet

There are some features in the works that will make this part easier to start with, basically being able to select things in the Catalog or Project views. That's the first barrier for any sort of bulk editing, to even be able to select N patches and then click edit or delete or whatever. Once the selection model is there, I can add conveniences like keyboard shortcuts like there are in the patch editor itself.

If you're starting fully from scratch with a blank slate, I'd recommend just trashing the database itself (patches.json) that's mentioned above.

Not a major rewrite but it's an entirely new editor view. The concept of batch editing is kinda complicated, because you need to be able to maintain and display differences without overwriting them. It's not as simple as just adding batch editing to the existing one. It would be a lot easier if it's simple data like the metadta for the library and developer or the color: I can just show the value if it's the same or if it's different, display "These are different". And in either case allow you to select a value. See something like iTunes and the way it handles bulk editing MP3 metadata.

For something like the articulations, faders and modes, that's much more complicated... you probably want to be able to bulk edit any that are identical. But what if they're in a different order? And how to display and edit different lists of articulations? We also need fine granularity, because you might want to bulk change the name even if the key ranges are different.

I definitely encourage playing with the raw JSON database. I chose the format in part so it would be human-readable and editable with existing tools, both for myself and others. But it's too tech-oriented in the long-term for what's striving to be a tool for people of all technical skill levels.

All this is to say I've thought a lot about it and it's near the top of my wishlist. I've started laying the groundwork internally with the aforementioned ability to select things, though I haven't enabled it publicly yet.

And then the next step is building an elegant UX for the batch editing. If anyone has any favorite examples of software that does that, I'd love some inspiration. I haven't seen any I'm particularly blown away by, because it really is a kinda thorny problem.
I'm very likely to finally be pulling the trigger on this today, as I have a bit of downtime this week to set things up, so was wondering if this batch editing function has been implemented? Not a dealbreaker for me, I think PB will still save me time and effort but it sure would help to know it's there or coming.

Very recently, i bought patchboard too (the DIY version). It'll take me a long time to completely overhaul the template to work with patchboard, but it's very easy and fast to create a patch in there. Importing an articulation set from logic wasn't super straight forward, and i'm not sure it recognizes multi-midi-channel sets. But overall, i think it will save me a lot of time in the long run.
I also saw the macro panel, but haven't tried this one yet
Have you had more luck with the multi-midi channel sets for articulations? I use a ton of those and wouldn't enjoy setting them up from scratch in Patchboard.

Have you had more luck with the multi-midi channel sets for articulations? I use a ton of those and wouldn't enjoy setting them up from scratch in Patchboard.
No, i didn't. I even think that it doesn't even support multi midi channel sets, because there's no attribute that corresponds with midi channels.

Appreciate the response. Guess I'll be setting those up from scratch then. If I find out anything while setting it up, I'll chime back in!

As the app is essentially browser based, as well as a controller plugin in the DAW, it is fairly well insulated from getting EOL'd - even if the dev goes away - but not 100 % certain I guess. As far as new user frictions, none that I can speak to.

The big item will be setting up all your articulations if you go the DIY app. But I think you'll find once set up, it just runs and stays out of the way.

It's probably better to go the DIY way anyway, that way you learn how to use the app. One of the important things to grasp is the use of tagging. I included a screenshot. Here what I did is replicated the approach the dev uses, at least as far as I can see. The columns for Longs / Leg / Short / Fx Run / other are populated by the tags given to the individual articulations. In other words, the columns self populate by how you tag them if you set this up per instrument. I therefore use one template for each library. I find it re-organizes the arctic's in a smart way. You have control in any case.I also like the fact you can enter the ranges for the instrument and see it right there at the top. You can hide the little text pointing to the keys btw.
Anyway, I'm sure smarter ppl than me have better implementations, I'm just showing you an example here.
Just bought into the DIY and am liking it so far. After a little help from Mike with Logic's articulation sets import (wasn't working, contacted him, within a few hours he had an updated version of the software ready for me!), so now I'm on my way to integrating it in my template(s). Will take a while.

Your layout looks very nice and clean. How did you get the various articulations to fall visually into the categories? E.g. all longs/legato/short being in the same column? Even after setting up colors and hierarchy, I can't seem to group them that way.

No, i didn't. I even think that it doesn't even support multi midi channel sets, because there's no attribute that corresponds with midi channels.
As a general FYI, multi-midi channel sets are importing correctly for me. My Cinematic Studio Series articulations all use multiple entries for each articulation, seems to be importing fine.

Top Bottom