What's new

Orchestral Tools up to 63% off - which one

The first time I will return an instrument. I bought Metropolis ARK1 and 2 and am disappointed! The last 16 hours I have tested samples and come to the conclusion that it still has many errors in the samples after 2 years. In addition, some instruments are not time accurate playable. As a satisfied user of BWW, I find ARK1 and 2 still too expensive for 500 euros, with these unplayable samples! Too bad, because I was looking forward to a useful, professional product.

Still not sure about the whole thing! I want to buy the inspire bundle, but I have some questions for some of you who own this already.

I'm looking for a library to use in cinematic and orchestral music, obviously, but I also want the instruments to use in pop music, like ballads. Do you guys think the inspire collection is suitable for hybrid usage? Would the strings and brass mix well with, for example, a lead vocal.

Do the samples sound good enough to use in media? Let's say, for example, I compose this song with Inspire, and pitch the song to a director or production company etc., Will the sounds of this library be convincing enough, or does it comes short in professional use? I must say I do like the sound from all the demo's and video's I've been watching the last couple of days

Is it possible to achieve a huge sound with Inspire? Is it possible to ge epic, when it's needed, with these samples? Maybe with good compression and post production? I know you all will advise Ark 1 for this, but I need a more versatile library :) And money is not growing on trees :D

Thanks in advance!

The first time I will return an instrument. I bought Metropolis ARK1 and 2 and am disappointed! The last 16 hours I have tested samples and come to the conclusion that it still has many errors in the samples after 2 years. In addition, some instruments are not time accurate playable. As a satisfied user of BWW, I find ARK1 and 2 still too expensive for 500 euros, with these unplayable samples! Too bad, because I was looking forward to a useful, professional product.

I don't think it is refundable. Especially after you've used it.
But I appreciate your review. Because I was/am a bit sick of developers leaving unfixed bugs and releasing new products. (they should be prioritizing bug fixes, especially if an expensive product isn't refundable imho.)
This is not just the case with OT though, unfortunately.
All you can do is keep pushing support to release fixes.

BTW, I'm surprised to see you saying "many error", because while I've seen people mention the noise in Ark 2, I haven't really heard of anything regarding major bugs in Ark 1.

Last edited:
But I appreciate your review. Because I was/am a bit sick of developers leaving unfixed bugs and releasing new products. (they should be prioritizing bug fixes, especially if an expensive product isn't refundable imho.)

BTW, I'm surprised to see you saying "many error", because while I've seen people mention the noise in Ark 2, I haven't really heard of anything regarding major bugs in Ark 1.
Yes, one thing about OT is that they do not update frequently, so there is little routine maintenance. (They do however update older products occasionally so stuff isn’t simply abandoned.) I have not found any major problems in either of the Arks, and even the noise issue with Ark 2 rarely comes into play. Lots of irritating things like incorrect ranges set so samples don’t play until you fix it, but nothing I can’t DIY or workaround. And the issues are on par with other libraries of this size. I use the libraries a lot.

?
No reported bugs in Arks.....I have all the arks and don't have any bugs........
I use them exclusively .....everyday.......like many many users .....

Last edited:
Yes, one thing about OT is that they do not update frequently, so there is little routine maintenance. (They do however update older products occasionally so stuff isn’t simply abandoned.) I have not found any major problems in either of the Arks, and even the noise issue with Ark 2 rarely comes into play. Lots of irritating things like incorrect ranges set so samples don’t play until you fix it, but nothing I can’t DIY or workaround. And the issues are on par with other libraries of this size. I use the libraries a lot.

My opinion comes from Sensium's review. Also, look at my second paragraph, I mentioned that just to be fair. I've also looked through many other users reviews.
And I also appreciate your review too :)

?????????????????????????????
No need for the "???" spam zimm83.
Like I've said above, my opinion is based on Sensiums review.
If anyone, that "???" should be aimed at him/her.

You should look at my 2nd paragraph as well.
Its not like I've ignored other users reviews.

As far as I am concerned (going to buy Ark 2 later today so I can be wrong), the noise comes from the fact that people are trying to use pp- performed stuff in an ff- environment.

Thats what I was assuming as well.
Since I've read about noise issues in Tundra as well.

I was just surprised that Sensium mentioned he/she bought Ark 1 and Ark 2 and said they have "many errors". Like I've said, the only error/bug I was aware after reading many users reviews were the noise in Ark 2 only.

My opinion comes from Sensium's review. Also, look at my second paragraph, I mentioned that just to be fair. I've also looked through many other users reviews.
And I also appreciate your review too :)
I agree with you that it's annoying when developers leave things unfixed for years, and any issue in Arks 1 or 2 is now going on being unaddressed for two and three years, so yes it's super annoying! On the other hand, I don't find any issue in the Arks to be so serious as to impede regular use. I was just hoping to clarify that after @Sensium's report of difficulty.

I agree with you that it's annoying when developers leave things unfixed for years, and any issue in Arks 1 or 2 is now going on being unaddressed for two and three years, so yes it's super annoying! On the other hand, I don't find any issue in the Arks to be so serious as to impede regular use. I was just hoping to clarify that after @Sensium's report of difficulty.

Completely agree.
And I appreciate your clarification.

(cracking up)

Uh, maybe try taking a nap before messing with those libraries again.

As far as I am concerned (going to buy Ark 2 later today so I can be wrong), the noise comes from the fact that people are trying to use pp- performed stuff in an ff- environment.

That and bad looping points on some of the samples. When you buy it, check out the mid strings sustains and tremolos.

Still not sure about the whole thing! I want to buy the inspire bundle, but I have some questions for some of you who own this already.

I'm looking for a library to use in cinematic and orchestral music, obviously, but I also want the instruments to use in pop music, like ballads. Do you guys think the inspire collection is suitable for hybrid usage? Would the strings and brass mix well with, for example, a lead vocal.

Do the samples sound good enough to use in media? Let's say, for example, I compose this song with Inspire, and pitch the song to a director or production company etc., Will the sounds of this library be convincing enough, or does it comes short in professional use? I must say I do like the sound from all the demo's and video's I've been watching the last couple of days

Is it possible to achieve a huge sound with Inspire? Is it possible to ge epic, when it's needed, with these samples? Maybe with good compression and post production? I know you all will advise Ark 1 for this, but I need a more versatile library :) And money is not growing on trees :D

Thanks in advance!
I also should mention that I already own CSS, so I need good Brass and woodwind. The piano and choirs also sounded nice in the Inspire demo's

I find ARK1 and 2 still too expensive for 500 euros, with these unplayable samples!
I'm checking Ark 2 for noise right now. Out of the box, I can hear the noise floor in the strings, but not enough that it bothers me or seems abnormal given the situation.

Then, with dynamics in mind, I adjust -10 db and it's a non-issue.

If there's anything specific that folks are finding unacceptable, I'd be curious to hear what articulation and notes so I can try to replicate the problem.

EDIT: I output a quick test. High/mid/low string sustains, all simultaneously playing chords from quietest to loudest. Didn't adjust volume, everything is straight out of the box. You can decide for yourself if the noise is unplayable or not. Keep in mind the loudest dynamic is equivalent to MP.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/ark-2-strings-test-01-mp3.17198/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Ark 2 Strings test 01.mp3
    723.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I'm checking Ark 2 for noise right now. Out of the box, I can hear the noise floor in the strings, but not enough that it bothers me or seems abnormal given the situation.

If there's anything specific that folks are finding unacceptable, I'd be curious to hear what articulation and notes so I can try to replicate the problem.

This would be a start
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/ark-2-extreme-noise.58432/page-4#post-4034757

No offense meant to anybody, but has anyone else wondered if some members here spend far more time playing with their new library toys (stacking them against other, legato-mania, etc.) than making music with them?

And...perhaps even spend more time here than the same?

Again, no judgements or anything negative meant at all; however people find to entertain themselves without hurting anyone else is perfectly fine imo, more power to everybody!

Last edited:
Here is was written in the post linked above.
However, one glaring exception is the "thumps" in the Strings Mid Tremolo Fast articulation, which appear on most of the notes, not just D#3 thru F3 as was reported here earlier. You have to hold each note for about six seconds before it appears, but frankly it sounds like bad loop points, really bad in fact. I have to agree that this articulation is not usable for any long held tremolo notes in its current state. That's pretty disappointing.

Here is a test. I cannot hear the problem. Maybe OT fixed it?

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/ark-2-strings-test-02-mp3.17199/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Ark 2 Strings test 02.mp3
    567.7 KB · Views: 58

EDIT: I output a quick test. High/mid/low string sustains, all simultaneously playing chords from quietest to loudest. Didn't adjust volume, everything is straight out of the box.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/ark-2-strings-test-01-mp3.17198/][/AUDIOPLUS]
Are you finding any issues with the Ark 2 legatos in low and mid strings? They give me trouble but no one else seems to be bothered by them so I’m trying to figure out if it’s just me.

Here is was written in the post linked above.

Here is a test. I cannot hear the problem. Maybe OT fixed it?

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/ark-2-strings-test-02-mp3.17199/][/AUDIOPLUS]
I do think those who bought on the NI sale got a new version that will be run out to the rest of us in the coming weeks. The Capsule versions are different from what I have and they had to make them NKS compatible. So maybe they fixed some of these things.

Top Bottom