Orchestral Tools up to 63% off - which one

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Fleer, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Josh Richman

Josh Richman Active Member

Feb 25, 2017
    I'm torn. I already have pretty much everything EW & Spitfire make. Should I jump on this and buy the inspire package?

2. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    No.

The Arks, on the other hand, may be useful. And the OSR or Sphere. But not Inspire

TheSigillite and whiskers like this.
  3. SirKen

SirKen Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I am on the fence with OSR and Sphere. How useful are they really? It would have been really nice to actually get a peek at the Capsule upgrade for both of them.

4. JT

JT Senior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Midwest
    And I have the opposite experience from dzilizzi, I also have many Spitfire libraries. I bought both the Arks and Inspires that are on sale. And with the type of music I write, Inspire will be something I use alot. Glad I bought it.

For example, the piano in Inspire 2 is great for what I use. Yet, I wanted a little more of an ethereal quality, so I layered it with the Spitfire Olafar piano and it gave me exactly what I needed for the piece I'm working on now.

Goldie Zwecker, dzilizzi and whiskers like this.
  5. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Capsule was a nice upgrade for Sphere. I found that it made the library as a whole much more useable.

whiskers likes this.
  6. SirKen

SirKen Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Is there a place where I can see how the Runs Builder interface work with Capsule? If it is not too much work, may I ask you to post some screenshots?

7. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I don’t have Runs Builder—I’ve been thinking of getting it myself. Anything you’d like to see from Sphere?

8. SirKen

SirKen Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Ah, no worries then. Sphere is easier to visualize within the Capsule interface.

9. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Generally, the Inspires are a general use sketching library. If you only have money to buy one or the other, the Arks are probably different enough to be more useful to most.

TheSigillite likes this.
  10. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Well, I went got the OSR downloaded and installed. I played with it for a bit. The runs builder does look useful. Not worth the full price as far as I'm concerned. But maybe the sales price. I'm thinking if you know how to program runs, they may not be that useful. I had a problem of sticking notes/phrases that were annoying. The nice thing is I do get some usable string articulations which, since I don't have Berlin strings, might be nice.

They have whole/half note trills as well. This makes the Sphere only really good if I want wider trills. Sphere lets you do trills between root and 4th and root and 5th, which is kind of nice, plus multi note trills. Trills aren't easily programmed from what I have tried. And more instruments. Because they both come with some other articulations so you can go into/end the runs and trills. No legatos, but a lot of the other ones. I'm trying to compare it with the Arks.

The lower strings, winds and brass can't do the fancy trills - at least per the reviews and documentation I found. And my Berlin Winds do the trills including root/4th trills and the root/5th trills. But I don't have the strings or brass and probably won't be buying them anytime soon. One more day to think about it.

11. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Hi anyone can suggest Is it better to get Berlin 1 and 2, or just metropolis ark 1?Currently I don't have woodwinds and brass but have some strings library

12. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Ark has a more focused, darker (and often epic) feel. Inspire is more of an 'orchestra lite' sketching Library. (It's not that lite, there's a lot you can do with it.)

So it depends on what you're going for. watch the youtube walkthroughs and read this thread and the other one or two orchestral tool sale threads, this topic has been brought up multiple times. Hope it helps.

dzilizzi, jbuhler and Rey like this.
  13. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Awesome. Thank you
    @whiskers

whiskers likes this.
  14. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Ark 1 won’t give you much in terms of woodwinds, and nothing for upper woodwinds. It has excellent brass, but at high dynamics, so it’s somewhat limited.

whiskers and Rey like this.
  15. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Staying content with just picking up Ark 1&2... My wallet had suffered enough :crying:

16. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    What about ark 2

dzilizzi and jbuhler like this.
  17. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Ark 2 is more versatile and has some excellent woodwinds, especially the bass and alto flute, but it doesn't go any higher than that—the Arks are lacking in upper woodwinds in general, though Ark 4 will remedy that to some extent. Some say they have had luck pitching up the Ark 2 winds to cover more of the traditional flute and clarinet range, but there's still no oboe or English horn (essential to the post-Wagnerian orchestra that I take the Arks as modeling), and what's available on Ark 4 is available only in combinations. Ark 2 strings are also more versatile than those in Ark 1. And the soft brass in Ark 2 is lovely. Still, the Ark 1&2 combination is excellent, a steal at the current NI pricing, and fairly complete aside from lacking the upper winds and muted brass, if that dark, rich sound is the sonic palette that suits you.

PSKLN, markleake, dzilizzi and 2 others like this.
  18. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    it's a little more all around compared to 1, but it's still lacking a decent piece of the orchestra here and there. The Ark series is more stylistic and going for a particular feel than a general orchestra library

dzilizzi, Rey and jbuhler like this.
  19. michelsimons

michelsimons Active Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Delft
    I had my eye on OSR as well, but a lack of recent and decent walkthroughs and reviews (as far as I can see) means that I am going to let that one pass.

SirKen and dzilizzi like this.
  20. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    In that case I might have to turn to something else. Amadeus or spitfire's. thanks for the help guys!

dzilizzi and jbuhler like this.