What's new

Orchestral Tools New Library: TIME MACRO

Is there a way to see if you have any vouchers? My email is a mess right there now. are they listed in your account on the OT site perhaps?

I guess it also depends how OCD you are. I can live with bugs if the overall sound is good.

So many people I’ve spoken to (in the trailer music world) say they use Met Ark on everything they do. So obviously whatever bugs exist within it, can be ignored or worked around if needs be.

As I said - I am, for all means and purposes, very pleased with them. I like them so very much I'm doing an entire album of orchestral action cues with them. I made up a very large template so I could use them more efficiently. They're very fun to use.

And yes, mostly I can find workarounds. But there are points where I just don't use them in specific ways because I know they won't work or there will be a very clear errant noise in the sample that will stick out. These are issues that absolutely could be prevented but just aren't caught and corrected before release.

Another example: many trailer writers on another forum have explained the string staccatos in A1 have such inconsistent attack timings throughout the RRs they have to print repeated note figures to audio and time align them because otherwise it sounds like they were programmed sloppily.

Many of the issues are not end-of-the-world. But as more people buy them (because a lot of people hype them) more people are coming forward with problems they have with them as well. I think if they tightened these things up it would change them from great, fun libraries to literal holy grail libraries.

But as I said, after the issues I have found with Ark 3 especially, I would simply wait and pay the price to see how user experiences go. Just my 2 cents.

I don't have a single library that is free of a few issues varying between nitpick and showstopper. My tolerance is measured against the overall usefulness of the library. I'm not perfect either.

It's somewhat amusing to see OT coming under the nitpick microscope, while it was held up as the gold standard during the recent Spitfire intro. Anyway, I'm on the order list, fairly confident that won't lead to a life of sorrow. I'm willing to suffer a little irritation in support of companies that offer instruments that cover relatively new ground.

I think it's fair to point out that there are just enough (preventable) issues that I wouldn't preorder things from them. I would be less hesitant, in this case, if the issues I personally had weren't with patches this library focuses on - rhythmic and looping type phrases.

Like I said, I'm still happy I have them and use them regularly. I think where they shine they're fantastic. But that doesn't discredit the fact that a lot of their loop/rhythmic patches up to this point have some issues and that they have some slop going on.

Yeah I’ve seen people talking about the timing issues with round robin shorts with ark 1 over on a couple of Facebook groups.

To be fair I’ve had similar issues with other libraries (CSS and CineBrass for instance) but just put it down to either my computer or Logic or Kontakt acting weirdly.

No offense to the OT folks. I own a handful of their products and for the most part enjoy them thoroughly. But all of the Arks and even the Berlin series I own have some flaws and bugs that have yet to be resolved. I would say preorder under the condition that the library will likely have some oddities that you will need to find creative workarounds for.

Examples: many of the Ark 2 trem patches have bad loop points which results in loud clicking as they aren't on zero crossings. Many of the repetition patches in Ark 3 have odd tails where if you don't cut your midi EXACTLY at the right point it causes hang over that sounds like a slapback echo. The same issue of clicking from bad loop points occurs on notes throughout the various repetition patches as well. I only bring these things up because this is the type of material TIME expands upon.

If they "got it right" and took their time on QC it will make a very cool tool. But if there are problems similar to the Arks I could see where this specialty library might actually be moderately frustrating to use.

Hi Brian,
apologies for the later than intended reply.
I wanted to look through our issue tracker to get an idea if these issues are known.

For MA2, I could only find clicking loops in the Mid Strings tremolo patch. This issue is actually on my list to be fixed this week (though as I am not a developer, I can not guarantee as I have no way of knowing how much work it will be).
Please always report any problems you find - we are actively fixing issues all the time and there's a good chance I can send you a fixed instrument for a lot of things. We always collect these fixes to put them in updates, so it is always worth it to reach out!

MA3's releases are on our list, too, though this is much more complicated. As you rightly said, it depends when you release the note. It is easy to actually make things worse there, but we are on it!

I did not find anything about timing issues in MA1. I'll look in our support emails on Monday, but I don't recall anyone ever reaching out about that. Please send me an email with details and I'll have a look!

best

Tobias

Hi Brian,
I wanted to look through our issue tracker to get an idea if these issues are known.

For MA2, I could only find clicking loops in the Mid Strings tremolo patch. This issue is actually on my list to be fixed this week (though as I am not a developer, I can not guarantee as I have no way of knowing how much work it will be).
Please always report any problems you find - we are actively fixing issues all the time and there's a good chance I can send you a fixed instrument for a lot of things. We always collect these fixes to put them in updates, so it is always worth it to reach out!

MA3's releases are on our list, too, though this is much more complicated. As you rightly said, it depends when you release the note. It is easy to actually make things worse there, but we are on it!

I did not find anything about timing issues in MA1. I'll look in our support emails on Monday, but I don't recall anyone ever reaching out about that. Please send me an email with details and I'll have a look!

best

Tobias
Just to let you know. This well-articulated, honest and thoughtful response written on a saturday is what actually swayed me over to pre-order Time Macro. Good support is as important as the product itself. Well done. I can't wait to start my OT journey.

For MA2, I could only find clicking loops in the Mid Strings tremolo patch. This issue is actually on my list to be fixed this week
A fix for the MA2 string patch clicks would be welcome. Fixes and updates of older libraries make me feel better about buying a new library. After I have a chance to watch the walkthroughs I’ll make a decision about how useful Time Macro will be for me.

As for nitpicking, I think it’s very fair and appropriate to do so when listening to the sound of any sample library, let alone one of OT’s level of production. If it were about UI, price or something like that I’d just wouldn’t make a big deal about it. But this is the sound we are talking about.

Hi Brian,

best

Tobias
Tobias,

OT should look into a app platform similar to what Spitfire have. They release bug fixes and updates quite easily and end users can always see if each of their product is up to date. That way you could send out smaller fixes more often rather than having users wait for ages for a big update.

Once the app understands the folder structure on the users computer, all updates go straight to the correct folders - it's great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom