What's new

Orchestral Tools: Berlin Series on SINE now!

That should be the 8dio Century Horn. Still sound good to me!
Nope! BTW noticed my mastering bus was way too maxed out, and a bit bass heavy. So here's an edited version to match the timbre of the original a bit better. How does this legato sound to you guys compared to the Berlin horn SINE legato?

Also, if you can't guess its BBC Pro Solo Horn, Tree Mic
View attachment horn tests legato.mp3

Nope! BTW noticed my mastering bus was way too maxed out, and a bit bass heavy. So here's an edited version to match the timbre of the original a bit better. How does this legato sound to you guys compared to the Berlin horn SINE legato?

Also, if you can't guess its BBC Pro Solo Horn, Tree Mic
View attachment horn tests legato.mp3
The legato is too loud I think. Maybe for one transition that would work but on each one it kinda gives itself away. I'm sure it could be tweaked though

It would be the same with Berlin though. You have to tweak each patch to your liking. The defaults are just an approximation.

Two questions about Berlin Woodwinds:
  1. Anyone with the Kontakt version of BWW can confirm the total required storage space? Specs tab only shows uncompressed size
  2. Just confirming, but Solo Woodwinds are completely separate from BWW correct? BWW mentions being able to customize ensembles, but I assume Solo Woodwinds is for exposed lyrical passges, where BWW is for everything else.
167,88 GB (thats Revive and Legacy, so both libs)
Yes

Do you know any good cheap courses? or FREE is better!
Best options is probably MITA at €35 a month though I haven't used this (they normally have a list of companies they give a discount for, but I couldn't find the page this time as I am on a mobile device)

The other option is:

The prices look high but they often offer large reductions via email if you subscribe to thier mailing list.

The final option is to get a sign up for a university course where you get a student card. In some countries this could be low cost.

Unfortunately, I can only agree. Big disappointment so far. Legato in Kontakt feels much smoother.
I was a good bit excited about these news, hoping for some improvements done in the libraries. But unfortunately I have to agree here.

On top of the wonky legatos that I tried, I find the lack of quality control in the Berlin libraries mind blowing for products that are marketed (and usually priced) as top-of-line libraries. I only played around with the woodwinds and strings for less than 10 minutes, and already found these issues:

- Flute 1: For some reason the trills are twice as loud as everything else. Why aren't at least the instruments in themselves balanced (not to mention the balance from instrument to instrument). I know I can dial in the volume for each articulation separately on SINE, but why is a top-of-the-line library not properly balanced out of the box?
- Violins 1 - Espressivo Short. The C and C# 2 octaves above middle C suddenly have a weird spiccato overlay or something? Everything it takes to find that problem is somebody sitting at the keyboard and playing all notes through. Apparently nobody did at least that.

I was considering completing my Berlin collection with the Brass, but I think I'll pass...

Are the Berlin Brass FFF patches included now?
This line:
The SINE edition builds on the extensive articulations and dynamic depth of the original collection, adding a triple-forte layer for producing the most forceful passages.
on their official webpage makes it sound like the fff layer is exclusive to the SINE version.
Which is very unfortunate.

By reading some of the posts, it looks like not all patches are bad, so I guess I'll just download the ones that are good. I'll wait for a list of good patches (sorry for being a lazy *** xD )

BWW owners who didn't upgrade to Revive are a bit screwed - according to this, crossgrading and then switching to SINE would cost 264€, whereas buying BWW right now without having owned it before is 324€. @OrchestralTools Any plans to make that upgrade path more appealing?
I am also in the same boat, on top of that they have bundeled the Timpani in with Berlin Perc, so for anyone that had to pay that extra cost was kinda screwed. Its great for people that bought Berlin Perc but not so fair on others who bought the expansion. Its defintley a black Friday downer for me.

I am def going SINE... OT will resolve all of those legato issues, if there are any. All things that change do require adjustment on the players part - or they will fail. Just waiting for a Timpani crossgrade perk... they say tonight or tommorow.

Since I got the Berlin addons libs for Staffpad I've been waiting for the sine version, but the clips uploaded by @Robin and @Evans are disappointing, to say the least.

Here's how the legato transitions sound in Staffpad (using the same Horn 1 and Trumpet 1 tree mics).

I hope OT is willing to address these issues in future updates. I'd really like to add the Berlin Series to my DAW template and have access to all the mics and articulations... but what I've heard so far is not so inviting. Might be a better idea to get the kontakt version instead?

Attachments

• Berlin Brass Legato Transitions.mp3
    415.3 KB
Anyone else has terrible problems downloading the libraries through sine? Extremely slow download speeds,unpacking problems,certain downloads get stuck and have to be downloaded again, mics randomly disappearing midownload so I have to choose them again and download them separately...don't know what's going on. Never happened to me on this level, and I have downloaded a couple of libraries on sine. I'm on the latest version 1.07. I have to keep watch over the downloads, if not, it looks like it will take me a couple of days till it's all finished. 😨

Anyone else has terrible problems downloading the libraries through sine? Extremely slow download speeds,unpacking problems,certain downloads get stuck and have to be downloaded again, mics randomly disappearing midownload so I have to choose them again and download them separately...don't know what's going on. Never happened to me on this level, and I have downloaded a couple of libraries on sine. I'm on the latest version 1.07. I have to keep watch over the downloads, if not, it looks like it will take me a couple of days till it's all finished. 😨
Yes, had the same problems downloading the Cello longs & shorts. Basses, Violins 1: No problem. The Cellos did not download although I tried several times. Just gets stuck after the first few percent.

Yes, had the same problems downloading the Cello longs & shorts. Basses, Violins 1: No problem. The Cellos did not download although I tried several times. Just gets stuck after the first few percent.
I see...quite frustrating. Can't go to sleep with a clear mind that at least a library or two will download over night. That's a shame.

Since I got the Berlin addons libs for Staffpad I've been waiting for the sine version, but the clips uploaded by @Robin and @Evans are disappointing, to say the least.

Here's how the legato transitions sound in Staffpad (using the same Horn 1 and Trumpet 1 tree mics).

I hope OT is willing to address these issues in future updates. I'd really like to add the Berlin Series to my DAW template and have access to all the mics and articulations... but what I've heard so far is not so inviting. Might be a better idea to get the kontakt version instead?
The contrast with Robin's test is noticeable. And is the staffpad version? That sounds much better.

Top Bottom