What's new

Olafur Arnalds Composer toolkit

Thanks for all the response. I know what to do. First buy the composer kit, i really want that piano and then Evo and Albion Tundra in some weeks (when i have the cash Thanks again for all the answers, it helps a lot.

Nice thing about Spitfire it is you can get the SCANDI bundle savings when you add all 3 of them to your palette. I have Scandi and love everything it has to offer. You'll fall in love with Tundra when you eventually add that, but ya, the Toolkit is great...all of it :)

I disagree about the felt piano. The mid to upper keys sound ok, but the lower octaves suck.

The synth sounds are *meh* , very muted with no dynamics, which is what you can expect from sampled synths.

Nice thing about Spitfire it is you can get the SCANDI bundle savings when you add all 3 of them to your palette. I have Scandi and love everything it has to offer. You'll fall in love with Tundra when you eventually add that, but ya, the Toolkit is great...all of it :)
Thanks for the tip, i should buy them as bundle, just have to wait a bit longer.

The Scandi bundle is really wonderful. My best purchase. You get a whole ton of great stuff for the money... it will take you months before you have dug into all of it. I wouldn't have got all the pieces separately, probably, but the savings was significant. I'm very glad I have them and use them constantly.

I disagree about the felt piano. The mid to upper keys sound ok, but the lower octaves suck.

The synth sounds are *meh* , very muted with no dynamics, which is what you can expect from sampled synths.
Is there another Felt piano you would recomend?

You could always start with the practically free Spitfire soft piano, formerly known as felt piano. It's still one of my favorite sampled instruments.

Hey! Made Paul's & Christian's weekend ....thanks to your Post. Downloading Soft Piano and Groove Piano as I write.
Another $6. in their Charities' banks ! :whistling:

Many thanks @ thesteelydane

Last edited:
I have the Gwilyn Simcock felt piano from Spitfire, Una Corda from NI and the Ulafur Arnalds... and Pianoteq. I grew up with a cheap console piano that had a pretty awesome celeste pedal that I was obsessed with. Since then I've generally found myself trying to play piano as quietly as I can.

Of the options that I have I think that the Olufar piano is the easiest to fly into a production that has a lot of space. The reverb channel that is included is pretty neat... you can get a good feel for it in the Spitfire overview video for the library. It is very simple. The Gwilyn Simcock is a more thoroughly sampled library with multiple mics and two configs for dynamics. I like playing it immensely but I have not yet figured out a mic setup that I love, but I have only spent a couple of hours with it.

The Una Corda instrument is a good friend of mine. That said I dislike and never ever use the cotton and felt versions. They sound too much like a tack piano for me... having spent a lot of time with Nils Frahm records I didn't expect the balance of percussive attack and tone that they present. The "pure" setup, though, is very very nice. I've found the presets to be unusable except maybe as starting points. Once I mapped a few of the important controls to my midi controller and dove in I was quickly able to come up with very useful sounds that worked in a mix.

Pianoteqs celeste pedal requires some doing to keep engaged to make it a felt piano. i think it also sounds quite fine but i have a hard time getting it into a mix but i'm sure that's my failing. it is very expressive.

(edit por favor) ...........
The Una Corda instrument is a good friend of mine. That said I dislike and never ever use the cotton and felt versions. They sound too much like a tack piano for me... having spent a lot of time with Nils Frahm records I didn't expect the balance of percussive attack and tone that they present. The "pure" setup, though, is very very nice. I've found the presets to be unusable except maybe as starting points. Once I mapped a few of the important controls to my midi controller and dove in I was quickly able to come up with very useful sounds that worked in a mix. ....

Appreciate this specific impression! Currently use IvoryII Italian, OTS Rosewood Grand, NI, AD Keys. Any additions need to well defined and purposeful.
Olafur Arnalds' may qualify ... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I love the Ivory II Italian grand. One of my favourites. A touch of QL Spaces and I get all Rachmaninoff, if you know what I mean.

There's a strong chance that the Scandi Collection will be on my radar very soon - but I'll have to wait in hope for a sale as I've spent a little too much on music bits of late.....

You could always start with the practically free Spitfire soft piano, formerly known as felt piano. It's still one of my favorite sampled instruments.
Just downloaded Soft piano and it is great! thanks for letting me know. Im still buying Olafur also because of the other sounds in the package, but i agree, this piano is beautiful

Olaf's and Simcock are my go to pianos. Olafur's has gobs of magical Elvis dust all over it.;)

Olaf's and Simcock are my go to pianos. Olafur's has gobs of magical Elvis dust all over it.;)

Hmmmmmm ... Toughie as BOTH is stretch right now. Listened carefully to Walkthrough of Simcock and seems quite nice. Good size $$ jump to Olaf's, and sound is unique, intriguing.

@ jmvideo Post #23, from last Wed, has had its effect ... :unsure:

Just bought Olafur's Composer toolkit. I know i should have bought the bundle, but Olafur's toolkit was what i could afford right now.
I really love the felt piano, it is really beautiful. All the pads and other sounds are great to. I agree with Spitfire when they saying that the sounds are easy to fit in the mix cause they dont take up every frequenze in a track like some other instruments do.
I love the sound and the way you could tweak it. My next library is Albion Tundra, looking forward to that investment.

Congrats on the purchase! One of my favorite libraries.
Some of those toolkit patches and synth embellishments are really nice and blend well with other instruments. I made a couple of multis with it today. Tundra is definitely a worthy follow up. You'll absolutely love it.
Enjoy getting your Scandi on :--)

Just bought Olafur's Composer toolkit. I know i should have bought the bundle, but Olafur's toolkit was what i could afford right now.
I really love the felt piano, it is really beautiful. All the pads and other sounds are great to. I agree with Spitfire when they saying that the sounds are easy to fit in the mix cause they dont take up every frequenze in a track like some other instruments do.
I love the sound and the way you could tweak it. My next library is Albion Tundra, looking forward to that investment.

Bundle? Is there a savings if you buy it with something else? Grats on the purchase!

Top Bottom