What's new

[New Woodwinds] Contrabass Out: Next One Coming!

Features you'd like MOST

• Total voters
It's quite sad that many of the most requested features are missing from this first instrument, while the least requested ones are present:

• More dynamic layers (4/5) (30 votes): 3 layers only (5 for staccato)
• Different length of shorts (24 votes): 1 short only
• Run patches (22 votes): none
• Trills at multiple speeds and interval (15 votes): none
• Adjustable mechanical/finger noises and breath sounds (6 votes): present
• Many mic perspectives, ranging from dry to distant and reverberant (3 votes): present

Last edited:
I think you should clearly put this on the website, since that is a big selling point.
Will make it clearer, great suggestion
It's quite sad that many of the most requested features are missing from this first instrument, while the least requested ones are present:

• Many mic perspectives, ranging from dry to distant and reverberant (3 votes): present
With the dynamic layers, we asked people what they considered a good number and the answer was four to five, and upon testing, particularly with the contrabass flute, we found that for the long notes, three very much covered it, and we made sure the lowest layer really is that ultra quiet whisper sound (also highly requested)
For shorts, again particularly with the limitations of this instrument, it was extremely difficult for the musicians to even produce the shorts that we got across the full range - it's not really a staccatissimo instrument - but there are more types of shorts included (tongue rams, syllables, and even recorded triple tongue) to make up for it.
Plus a whole load of other highly requested things from the list were put in :) (we completely re-did our legato to make it more realistic, for example, which took a good chunk of the time!)

It seems like they did most of these things though? There are many dynamics (especially for a bass flute!), multiple lengths of shorts, and from the walkthroughs the instrument seems quite agile. There is no need for a seperate runs patch if the regular legato can handle those speeds. I don't know how much more they could have done without bloating the library size (and required budget!) even further. The most important thing people wanted was 'hyper realistic legato' (56 votes) and it seems like they delivered on that front.

Also keep in mind this is just the bass flute. We don't know the specs of the remaining instruments yet.

More dynamic layers (4/5) (30 votes): 3 layers only (5 for staccato)
In solo instruments this can present a lot of problems with crossfades. I've found the fewer dynamic layers the better with solo woodwinds. In fact, I usually strip them down to one layer and use scripting tricks with EQ and filters to simulate a change in timbre. It isn't perfect, but to my ears it sounds much better than a crossfade, no matter how well executed.

Just a quick announcement on this series: We'll be releasing the next instalment in the coming weeks! After that, they will be compiled together into a single library.
When will the current/intro pricing end and what will be the most cost effective way to own the series?

When will the current/intro pricing end and what will be the most cost effective way to own the series?
Intro pricing will end around the 12th May, when the next instalment is approximately scheduled for release. The most cost effective way to purchase is individually, as they come out - once the full pack is out, the products will cease to be individually available and compiled into a single woodwinds pack

In solo instruments this can present a lot of problems with crossfades. I've found the fewer dynamic layers the better with solo woodwinds. In fact, I usually strip them down to one layer and use scripting tricks with EQ and filters to simulate a change in timbre. It isn't perfect, but to my ears it sounds much better than a crossfade, no matter how well executed.
This is absolutely true. We're toying with the idea of a snap function which prevents the player from "leaving" the instrument in a crossfaded state too far between two dynamic layers, as this is pretty much the source of the problems.

I think a clever juxtaposition of this and volume would clear this up quite nicely, but yes the more dynamic layers, the higher the number of crossovers/phase-points, so there's always a compromise to be made here absolutely.

So what are we thinking for the rest of this library - would you prefer to get options to download the non compressed vs the readily compressed version? We're looking at 50% reduction or thereabouts. Whatever we do for the rest we'll also do for the contrabass flute as an offered update

Compressed please - I don't see a good reason against non-lossy compression (no quality loss), while no compression at all just wastes space on the drives.

My preference, I can't but reiterate, is for compressed.

All considered, it sounds very natural, so you can reserve your compressor to data instead of dynamics! :grin:

Paolo

Top Bottom