What's new

[Daniela Mars Woodwinds] Part II: Concert Flute Out NOW (Sale: $40)

Features you'd like MOST

• Total voters

Auddict

Keeping this short and sweet! We are creating a new and highly extensive Woodwinds library. This will potentially include a range of highly rare, extended instruments, and we've partnered with a very special set of players, whom we will reveal later on! Very exciting stuff.

Anyway, to the point! We want to know what YOU want from it. No request is too silly; we're open to anything. What kinds of articulations, sounds, mic positions, etc., are you interested in? Tell us, and we will see what we can do!

First off, please try to stay away from a library that is little more that longs, legatos, stac and trills. There are a ton of those already.

<Haakond best me to it!> Cinesamples' Hollywoodwoodwinds are nice, but very basic. If you can do a very detailed version of that library, that would be awesome. Also, and I brought this up in another thread -

View attachment woods.mp3

Those are strings (of course) from SFA Albion. A library that contains a large amount of those "compound" type runs (not simple 1 octave up/down - we have plenty of those), I think would be a welcome addition to the sampling world.

Thank you for asking!

Keeping this short and sweet! We are creating a new and highly extensive Woodwinds library. This will potentially include a range of highly rare, extended instruments, and we've partnered with a very special set of players, whom we will reveal later on! Very exciting stuff.

Anyway, to the point! We want to know what YOU want from it. No request is too silly; we're open to anything. What kinds of articulations, sounds, mic positions, etc., are you interested in? Tell us, and we will see what we can do!
Please cover Bass Oboe/Heckelphone and Oboe d’amore. I’m heavily biased but hyper realistic legatos are preferred over playable ones. I would say 4 or even 5 dynamic layers would be beautiful.

1. Adjustable fingerpad / clicky sounds and breath sounds.

2. I'm always looking for soloists.

But, they need to be able to play "on time" every time.

3. English Horn and Oboe are two of my favorites. They also have a few variations in sound. If you manage to bring together other reliable features, it would be lovely to have multiple oboes and english horns that truly sound different from each other (but all have the same set of reliable features like fingered and tongued transitions, well recorded and edited samples, etc.)

4. I tend to go for drier sampled solo instruments, so that I can determine the level of "intimacy" to use in the final render. But, a little bit of flattering studio or room sound usually helps to get things going, even if the longer tail is from an external reverb.

5. Doesn't seem like you're doing "world" instruments, but lots of us are still interested in Duduk sounds that are not part of Engine, and will run in Kontakt.

6. I'm rarely looking for woodwind ensembles, but when I am they should also "feel" in tune and on time, without losing an "acoustic" sound — I like to be able to hear the air, or the "wind" — or sounding too organ-ish, which is tough feat.

Your MSW Oboe is really nice.. But we really need a really good much more deeply done oboe. Do like an American sound, English like MSW, and French Sound varient.

The very unique Musette Oboe is high on my list. Featured in Jurassic Park, Toy Story soundtracks courtesy of Tom Boyd's playing. This would be the only one around. Here is a kid on Youtube.

Seconded on the Klezmer Clarinet.

Dare I also say ... Metal Clarinet library LOL.

Cool! I like to use Hollywoodwinds from Cinesamples, because of its run patches. However, it would be pretty cool to have something with more RR and flexibility
Out of interest, how many RR would you like, and what sort of flexibility do you feel you're lacking so we can try to top that too

Seems to me that Woodwind effects and phrases are hard to come by. Something like Hollywood winds from Cinesamples would be useful.
Fair point, there don't seem to be too many of these around!

Please cover Bass Oboe/Heckelphone and Oboe d’amore. I’m heavily biased but hyper realistic legatos are preferred over playable ones. I would say 4 or even 5 dynamic layers would be beautiful.
Could you elaborate a bit on what you meant by "hyper realistic legatos" vs "playable" ones? :)

1. Adjustable fingerpad / clicky sounds and breath sounds.

2. I'm always looking for soloists.

But, they need to be able to play "on time" every time.

3. English Horn and Oboe are two of my favorites. They also have a few variations in sound. If you manage to bring together other reliable features, it would be lovely to have multiple oboes and english horns that truly sound different from each other (but all have the same set of reliable features like fingered and tongued transitions, well recorded and edited samples, etc.)

4. I tend to go for drier sampled solo instruments, so that I can determine the level of "intimacy" to use in the final render. But, a little bit of flattering studio or room sound usually helps to get things going, even if the longer tail is from an external reverb.

5. Doesn't seem like you're doing "world" instruments, but lots of us are still interested in Duduk sounds that are not part of Engine, and will run in Kontakt.

6. I'm rarely looking for woodwind ensembles, but when I am they should also "feel" in tune and on time, without losing an "acoustic" sound — I like to be able to hear the air, or the "wind" — or sounding too organ-ish, which is tough feat.
Great suggestions! We're looking at orchestral for now, but I do love the Duduk sound. Perhaps a future library

Adding on to this, I'd also love hyper realistic legatos for EH and oboe d'amore.

Fair point, there don't seem to be too many of these around!

Could you elaborate a bit on what you meant by "hyper realistic legatos" vs "playable" ones? :)

Great suggestions! We're looking at orchestral for now, but I do love the Duduk sound. Perhaps a future library
I believe 'hyper realistic' is referring to as realistic/natural of a sound as you can get with legato, even if it sacrifices some playability or introduces some delay.

First off, please try to stay away from a library that is little more that longs, legatos, stac and trills. There are a ton of those already.
I'll modify that for my own opinion to say that if there is a focus on extended techniques or phrases or some such, more mic positions are helpful to shape the sound to match to other products.

It stinks to have something that sounds interesting that can't sit in a mix because of wild mismatches in depth/stereo width/etc. in a limited selection of mics. Sure, there are sometimes workarounds, but the more effort I have to put in on the very basics, the less likely I will be to load it up.

An example (without naming a specific VI product) is when you've got loud key clacks in a woodwind but none of the mics are far enough away to simmer them down. Just shoving back via MIR or something doesn't ever really kill those off.

Last edited:
Pointalism, nuance and expressiveness.

Not aleatoric, harshly avant-guard extended techniques, or horror FX, but winds at the most nuanced, expressive and beautiful.
I like this one because it touches on a complaint of mine with recent products from other developers. There will be an interesting sustain with a light amount of movement, then BAM! Sporadic ornaments that limit contextual usage.

I'll be in the minority here, but since Santa's asking...

I'd love a 'breathy woodwind' legato library. An 'at the edge of quietness' for woodwinds, if you will. I love the pp breathiness of the BDT libraries, specifically with the saxes. Having that sound with legato and shorts would be a match made in Heaven. I can do something like that already with SWAM woodwinds, but the non-modeled, performance-based sample library with this mindset is my dream library.

EDIT: Okay it's been a week, and I just realized I was describing OT's Whisper. It's great, and loaded with usable articulations, but I guess I'm interested in a similar library that includes more. Namely saxophones.

Last edited:
Consistency of artics and dynamic layers across the instruments.
A depth of artics that allows you to introduce nuanced performance elements and textures from the same instrument in the same space.
Mic options ranging from very intimate and dry, to fully embracing the character of the room to allow as wide a range of mixing/placement techniques as possible.
Some level of control over the keyclicks and breath noises, which add so much to an up close and intimate performance, but are entirely out of place once the performance space gets to mid sized club or ensemble size and beyond.
Purchase options for individual instruments, without taking advantage of those who aren't able to buy them all at once, particularly if they are as deep as we're all hoping and come with a commensurate price tag.
I personally would prefer them to lean towards a jazz and fusion performance aesthetic, to me it feels like there is a surfeit of orchestral options, though I know there are others here who will disagree vociferously.

Legato that actually sounds like legato without the over exaggerated transitional "bumps" that many libraries use let you know it's true legato. Bring back subtlety to playing.

Also, close STEREO mics, so that some of us can create our own room around it.

Top Bottom