What's new

New Spitfire release Thurs 18th August 2022?

I'm really quite keen on this library for the sound, but I agree it isn't the best for customisation.

Before I pull the trigger on this, is there a personal recommendation you'd make in its stead?
Not really. There are a lot of good lo-fi options, some of which have been mentioned in this thread; but this has two features that are very useful: the modwheel enabling you to scroll through different processing, and the sample offset allowing you to decide where to start the sound.

The usual thing I do when looking at something like this is considering if the effects plugins I have enable me to get these kinds of sounds for myself. For this, you'd need a nice virtual synth, or other sampled synth, a tape emulator with wow and flutter, a bit crusher, and a granular plugin. But I think for price and quality, Tape Synths is a very good choice. Here's a little list of other things to compare:

Native Instruments Lo-Fi Glow, Analog Dreams and (my personal favourite) Modular Icons
Check for license transfers, I saw Lo-Fi Glow available for $10 on Knobcloud, or on this site (a seller I've used and recommend): https://vi-control.net/community/th...instruments-ujam-softube-uvi-waves-etc.93669/

Sample Science - Pretty much anything by him will be lo-fi, but here are some examples

Puremagnetik Verv - but take a look at Puremagnetik's synths and effects plugins, and samples, generally. They have a lot that you might like and their prices are good.

Waverunner Audio Synth Atlantic

Sound Dust - anything for granular and dusty sounds, but here are a few to look at for wobbly synthy sounds:
https://www.sound-dust.com/infundibulum1-1
Empty Vessel - he makes presets for synths and for TAL Sampler; if you have any of them, I do recommend his presets for textured, dusty, interesting sounds. He's the reason I bought TAL Sampler! However, the synths don't include tape emulations, so if you really wanted that, you might need a lo-fi plugin to add afterwards. An example for DS Thorn:

Last edited:
I asked Spitfire directly in their thread, but didn't get an answer. Does anyone know: are the 100 or so blankforms presets just edited versions of the 20 or so main presets using the on-board ADSR and playback points?

That is quite a list there. To most lo-fi lovers, I would also recommend checking out this developer at Loot Audio:

https://www.lootaudio.com/category/kontakt-instruments/audiowarpc
Some time ago, I've purchased their BOCS bundle for a symbolic price. The flagship is probably the RETCON library.

I asked Spitfire directly in their thread, but didn't get an answer. Does anyone know: are the 100 or so blankforms presets just edited versions of the 20 or so main presets using the on-board ADSR and playback points?
Simeon described them as separate presets, but that doesn't help really!

That is quite a list there. To most lo-fi lovers, I would also recommend checking out this developer at Loot Audio:

https://www.lootaudio.com/category/kontakt-instruments/audiowarpc
Some time ago, I've purchased their BOCS bundle for a symbolic price. The flagship is probably the RETCON library.
Those look to be pretty perfect matches for the style!

Not really. There are a lot of good lo-fi options, some of which have been mentioned in this thread; but this has two features that are very useful: the modwheel enabling you to scroll through different processing, and the sample offset allowing you to decide where to start the sound.

The usual thing I do when looking at something like this is considering if the effects plugins I have enable me to get these kinds of sounds for myself. For this, you'd need a nice virtual synth, or other sampled synth, a tape emulator with wow and flutter, a bit crusher, and a granular plugin. But I think for price and quality, Tape Synths is a very good choice. Here's a little list of other things to compare:

Native Instruments Lo-Fi Glow, Analog Dreams and (my personal favourite) Modular Icons
Check for license transfers, I saw Lo-Fi Glow available for $10 on Knobcloud, or on this site (a seller I've used and recommend): https://vi-control.net/community/th...instruments-ujam-softube-uvi-waves-etc.93669/

Sample Science - Pretty much anything by him will be lo-fi, but here are some examples

Puremagnetik Verv - but take a look at Puremagnetik's synths and effects plugins, and samples, generally. They have a lot that you might like and their prices are good.

Waverunner Audio Synth Atlantic

Sound Dust - anything for granular and dusty sounds, but here are a few to look at for wobbly synthy sounds:
https://www.sound-dust.com/infundibulum1-1
Empty Vessel - he makes presets for synths and for TAL Sampler; if you have any of them, I do recommend his presets for textured, dusty, interesting sounds. He's the reason I bought TAL Sampler! However, the synths don't include tape emulations, so if you really wanted that, you might need a lo-fi plugin to add afterwards. An example for DS Thorn:
Thank you so much for such a comprehensive response. You're a blessing to us all, Queen Bee!
🐝

My most productive period I had a XP30, Akai S950,,Proteus,eDrum kit and drum machine all going into a Roland VS1680 with a digital delay and a reverb.
I really didn’t even use midi sequencing,I would just lay down tracks,playing and overdubbing. It was crude and primitive by any standard but it worked and I got more stuff done than any time subsequently.
I fully get that... my most productive period I had an Atari Mega ST, Cubase 1.0, a Roland D10 and a Roland Sound Canvas SC55 expander, and a 4 tracks Fostex tape recorder. It wasn't much, but it was so easy to use and super fast to lay down an idea.

That's what I'm trying to replicate now with my MBP and my Template that will act as a giant Sound Canvas... but instead of having 128 sounds, I might get 1280 tracks with thousands of sounds that will have way higher quality and definition... but the process will be the same... at least I hope for ;)

I'm on Logic Pro now, and I'm even debating myself if I shouldn't just go with Cubase Pro 12 just to get back to the same DAW brand I used to know... and I still have my Roland D10 as master keyboard, but I think I'm gonna replace it for something better with MPE... but overall, the process will be the same I had when I was younger.

Somehow, I believe a lot of people like us are chasing this "old school process", regardless if it's with Template, or having a VEP server (that would act as a giant ROMpler), or else... we're just going back to the sources :)

Last edited:

edit for brevity ********************************

Today _ Sample Science _ Lo-Fi Vapor Tones _ ~ $18. w/ Code _ noisyvhs

Last edited:
- Spitfire Audio - Spitfire Appassionata Strings
- Spitfire Audio - Blankfor.MS - Tape Synths
- Arturia - Augmented Strings

4/4 120bpm

I find that the time it takes to create a template generally depends on the size of the template and how well you know your sounds.

I recently finished an orchestral project aimed at usage in football game broadcasts. That sort of thing features brass and percussion more than strings and woodwinds, so I set up my brass section with at least twice as many options as any other section. The dynamics never go lower than mp, so that eliminated having to search through quiet libraries when designing the template. Considering the reduced size of the strings and winds, it took me about 15 hours to create the template, including making minor revisions to it as the project progressed. I think the full template with everything loaded was around 35GB, so it was relatively easy on my computer resources as well.

In contrast, synth-based projects generally take me far less time to set up a template for but more time fiddling with patches while composing, as sound design is part of the synth writing process.

Of course, a comprehensive, mega template can take far longer to create. I did one of those last year, using VEP Pro, and it took at least a week. For me, it was mostly a waste of time. I find that I spend too much time scrolling through endless tracks while composing in that system, even when they can be hidden or they're nested in folders.

Unlike most here, I use Pro Tools for composing. One thing I enjoy about it is how easy it is to import tracks from other sessions into the session you're using at the time. I often import tracks from old projects to speed up template creation. Each imported track has its routing left intact, so there's no further work to set it up after importing (unless the routing scheme has changed). I suppose other DAWs can do this as well, but I never hear about it.

Best,

Geoff
The import features from Studio One are out of this world. Combined with templates and music loops, it's a reuse dream.

I love all the nostalgia in this thread. Especially appropriate as I’m on a train to London right now to see Kraftwerk this evening. Am well aware seeing them these days is more like seeing a Kraftwerk tribute band but nonetheless I still can’t help getting excited! 😊
Just for anyone interested, they never fail to delight. As they’ve been touring with this 3D show for best part of a decade now one tends to assume it’s all pre-programmed to a millisecond with no room for variation, but several of the old favourites were different versions I had never heard before. Very Electro version of Computer Love, and the highlight was a new take on We Are The Robots which I could have listened to for half an hour or more it was so good.

When Ralf Hutter finally unplugs his synths it will be a very sad day. I just wish they would update their KlingKlang Machine iPhone app for the latest iOS version!

I am trying to find out more about how they approached the presets. From the documentation, it seems that there is a pool of over 150 sound sources that were used to create the presets.
Blankfor.ms has also been posting some behind the sounds videos and info on his Instagram account that pulls the curtain back just a little on the process of creating the sounds for Tape Synths.

If I find out any further details, I will be sure to share them here.

Joyfully,
Simeon

I am trying to find out more about how they approached the presets. From the documentation, it seems that there is a pool of over 150 sound sources that were used to create the presets.
Blankfor.ms has also been posting some behind the sounds videos and info on his Instagram account that pulls the curtain back just a little on the process of creating the sounds for Tape Synths.

If I find out any further details, I will be sure to share them here.

Joyfully,
Simeon

Fabulous! Remixing samples is the best I would have hoped for.

In an ideal world, end users could do the same, but that is rarely Spitfire's approach. Terrific recordings and sound design, though, those they are much better for!

I guess it comes from their view of their customers as either rushed-for-time composers, or people who are, or wish to be, in similar circumstances.

Last edited:
Top Bottom