What's new

New Spitfire release Thurs 18th August 2022?

"Join us for the premiere" used to mean things like BBCSO or AROOF.

For us orchestra heads this has been a dry year. Appassionata was the highlight, an amazing library and some of SF's best legatos ever, but I hope these artist collaborations aren't dividing their attention.

Does anyone have reliable information about whether Britain is still under COVID regulations for recording sessions? Or if not, when that lifted?
No COVID-19 restrictions in UK. Attended a recording session two weeks ago: 60 players. Wonderful.

Don't know when it started to be possible again though.

"Join us for the premiere" used to mean things like BBCSO or AROOF.

For us orchestra heads this has been a dry year. Appassionata was the highlight, an amazing library and some of SF's best legatos ever, but I hope these artist collaborations aren't dividing their attention.

Does anyone have reliable information about whether Britain is still under COVID regulations for recording sessions? Or if not, when that lifted?
Covid restrictions ended in February here in the UK and we ran flat out, better or worse, for “freedom.”

Perhaps covid is indeed the cause, but instead has caused a backlog for sessions and SF aren’t getting the time they need. Random guesswork, nothing more.

And as everyone expected, and some of us feared, it is tape processed modular sounds. On the plus side, you can move the modwheel to fade through different kinds of processing. On the downside, every version sounds like tape. Also, the arp section doesn't allow you to set your own arp pattern.

It isn't an Originals or SA library and it is £49 not £29. Otherwise, we have the usual SA-style synth package - wonderful sound design, unnecessary built in limitations by design.

I'm pretty impressed.

And as everyone expected, and some of us feared, it is tape processed modular sounds. On the plus side, you can move the modwheel to fade through different kinds of processing. On the downside, every version sounds like tape. Also, the arp section doesn't allow you to set your own arp pattern.

It isn't an Originals or SA library and it is £49 not £29. Otherwise, we have the usual SA-style synth package - wonderful sound design, unnecessary built in limitations by design.

I'm pretty impressed.
Hmmmm ...... May be perfect for some _ kinda ???? release, but lotsa other goodies poring into market _ even today.
Listened to talented Homay / Lucie give it their best. Frightening to posit what personal talents may bring ! 😱

Hmmmm ...... May be perfect for some _ kinda ???? release, but lotsa other goodies poring into market _ even today.
Listened to talented Homay / Lucie give it heir best. Frightening to posit what personal talents may bring ! 😱
Yes, the focus on tape-only sounds rules it out for me. But, the awful limitations of Spitfire's player aside, this is a great sounding library.

Reminds me a bit of the very nice Synth Atlantic. But in terms of sampled synths I also have NI's Analog Dreams (cheaper than this and very usable), and in general I prefer using softsynths and treating them to my specific taste with plugins. Plus I have a real analogue synth now too! 🤘🏻

Native Instruments have quite a few very nice sampled synth instruments. Lo-fi Dreams is pretty nice.

Synth Atlantic sounds good too (non-tape versions of the sounds are available too!).

This release makes me shudder to think about all of the years I spent battling against having grime automatically printed to all of my tracks, resulting in a "semi pro" sound. I was so grateful when pristine digital became affordable in the '90s!

That said, I get why those who are used to accurate recording might crave a little "character;" but they're really lucky to not have it forced on them, as it was on us back when. For extra authenticity, Spitfire should have run everything through a Fostex board using Hosa cables.

Best,

Geoff

It's weird because 1980s pop music (which these things are nostalgically referencing) was super well produced and pristine (sometimes to a fault!), but they are selling the personal experience of listening to it on a cheap Walkman knock-off. (And yeah, my first experiments in recording were with a 4-track cassette Portastudio, and there is nothing sonically I miss about that.)

Top Bottom