What's new

New from Strezov Sampling: Afflatus Chapter - Part one: Strings

just finishing two projects on this weekend, but in next weeks, I guess I'll have more time to do some demo from this outstanding library, to which I fell in love.
Please do also tenutos for d' Amour cello. Love smooth, kind of chamber sound, vi and va are first-class, and to my surprise, is even much better like my lovely ARK2.
So better than Ma2 legatos... Waouh. I will have to compare the walkthroughs..

I'm not sure I understood right. All updates will be automatically hooked up to your user profile - you'll just need to redownload (we will try to make it in such a way that you only need to download the update files, not the entire library). I also have to address the elephant in the room of course - that being the price after Q1 2018 when we introduce new content. Really conflicted here about that and actually considering making a poll among Afflatus users later on - but there should be some way of thanking early grabbers. It is still way too early to tell - neot before seeing and hearing the new patches (scene d'amour celli recording this weekend!!!! keep your fingers crossed). Just FYI, by first calculations we have 62.5 hours of recording session time for the bonus patches. OK, maybe I got carried away with the material... some of it might end up in my custom toolset... some of it (if it's good) will further be added to the list. Not sure if you guys fancy blogs? We can write a few words around the sessions, maybe share some footage?
So in Q1 2019 you will add a quartet with poly legato????
Oh man....And cello scene amour?
Waouhhhhh...And other things i suppose?
That's .....wonderful. Simply wonderful. And....free!!!

purchased a couple of days ago...

I'm sorry to say I'm about to throw away most of what's on my template. This sounds amazing, it's really easy to use, and can cover most anything I need on strings. People say they miss stuff...Come on, you've got almost every "normal" thing strings do, and in many ways and different ensembles... If you're really into esoteric col leg tratto stuff...we'll ok, go somewhere else...but I can just say, congratulations @Strezov...you just bet to the ground all the big developers.

It's just sad that it's becoming more and more difficult to justify using real orchestra for many things. But it's what's coming...can't fight it :)

purchased a couple of days ago... ****
*** If you're really into esoteric col leg tratto stuff...we'll ok, go somewhere else...but I can just say, congratulations @Strezov...you just bet to the ground all the big developers.

It's just sad that it's becoming more and more difficult to justify using real orchestra for many things. But it's what's coming...can't fight it :)

Stated nicely. Other similar comments over recent times, but _ for me _ this resonated. :barefoot:
Will need to think even harder about BlkFri 'real orchestra' deals …. as this trend continues.:notworthy:

I got a request to post a track and midi of the freehand Shawshank theme I played in my video with the Vintage Violas & Cellos patch switched out for Chamber patches. The divisi section from the vintage patch is actually smaller than the chamber section, but I've showcased the chamber section here anyway. What you hear is the celli chamber patch and the violins 1 chamber patch to give a wider image, with the close and decca mics active:

Track - https://www.dropbox.com/s/exgaz4zbxu6nz61/Afflatus_Chamber_Example.mp3?dl=0
Midi - https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbisjztj652lpip/CP_Shawshank_Freehand_Afflatus.mid?dl=0

Conducting at the moment, so will have to be brief (it OK, we are in a break) --- live musicians can never be replaced. The soul that's added to the music.... once you get a feel of it, you will never go back. My 0.02$
Yes!
I notice how I more and more appreciate live performances... it get's me immediately, especially with strings.
The breath, flow and expression just cannot be matched with samples. Even for simple legato lines.

And there are still enough unplayable things... agile stuff that just can't be done with samples convincingly.

Conducting at the moment, so will have to be brief (it OK, we are in a break) --- live musicians can never be replaced. The soul that's added to the music.... once you get a feel of it, you will never go back. My 0.02$
Wasn't that the whole inspiration for Afflatus in the first place?

Was considering Afflatus for a few moments recently, then I went back and listened to
Secrets of the Forest by Anne Van Duyvenvoorde here:

https://www.soundsonline.com/hollywood-orchestra

With all due respect, I can't think of a single "niche" VI, or even a combination of them, that could do that any better, or possibly even as good. If I'm going to really crack this orchestral nut, I'm going to do it the old fashioned way. And yes I know it does show evidence of being a sample library, but it's samples done as an instrument in itself, and while listening to it I do not feel aesthetically cheated in any way...it's a gorgeous piece. Concerto for PC and Sample Files, how cool is that? But that's how I am.

Was considering Afflatus for a few moments recently, then I went back and listened to
Secrets of the Forest by Anne Van Duyvenvoorde here:

https://www.soundsonline.com/hollywood-orchestra

With all due respect, I can't think of a single "niche" VI, or even a combination of them, that could do that any better, or possibly even as good. If I'm going to really crack this orchestral nut, I'm going to do it the old fashioned way. And yes I know it does show evidence of being a sample library, but it's samples done as an instrument in itself, and while listening to it I do not feel aesthetically cheated in any way...it's a gorgeous piece. Concerto for PC and Sample Files, how cool is that? But that's how I am.
I hear a lot of instruments in the demo. It also seems somewhat generic --which isn't a bad thing. I just don't think Afflatus is really trying to do this. It seems to be covering ground that other libraries haven't. Secrets of the Forest is very pleasant for sure. But there is a character and life in the Afflatus demos which I have not heard anywhere else. I'm not trying to change your mind though. I just think you're comparing apples to oranges.

I did around 20 movies and tvshows this year, and approx. Half of them with real orchestra.

It’s a different thing, I’m not questioning the musicianship and what real guys can bring to a production, but, in modern scoring, between the electronic stuff, the hans-like music that doesn’t really need much real orchestra (worked at remote control for a while so know how they do it there. I could talk about 150k $ projects done using samples and no real orchestra) and projects under 40k $ or so where budget might be constrained..adding how samples are starting to sound...it’s getting harder and harder to fit the real orchestra in the whole picture.

Sorry, didn’t want to go offtopic, my intention was to congratulate @Strezov for the amazing job.

By the way, for the moment, besides some small tuning issues in some patches, my only request would be to have cc11 control volume also in short articulations as all the other libraries do, so it’s consistent for all the library. Using cc7 is not good if you wat to keep free the kontakt faders.

Yes, before the big update we'll introduce some new features and requests, among which is CC#11 for shorts. Hopefully very soon.

As for the offtopic, I'll continue it a bit :)) @Cory Pelizzari - the inspiration indeed comes from live players, etc., but our intention was never to replace the musicians, just give out tools that will help you sculpt ideas. I personally encourage everyone to record music - even if it is a solo violin. We have recorded so much choirs these past two years from people using Storm Choir in the mockup and wanting to replace it with the real deal (sometimes - even request to get the same singers!).

As for today's production standards - @alfred tapscott I understand your point of view. However, I think that our job as composers should be to try and educate our clients how important this is. Because I can see on a daily basis how ad agencies, productions companies, etc. throw away cash for rentals, camera equipments, make-up, etc. etc. IMO they can't make the actual difference (but will always FEEL it!!!) so they need to be educated.

Yes, before the big update we'll introduce some new features and requests, among which is CC#11 for shorts. Hopefully very soon.

As for the offtopic, I'll continue it a bit :)) @Cory Pelizzari - the inspiration indeed comes from live players, etc., but our intention was never to replace the musicians, just give out tools that will help you sculpt ideas. I personally encourage everyone to record music - even if it is a solo violin. We have recorded so much choirs these past two years from people using Storm Choir in the mockup and wanting to replace it with the real deal (sometimes - even request to get the same singers!).

As for today's production standards - @alfred tapscott I understand your point of view. However, I think that our job as composers should be to try and educate our clients how important this is. Because I can see on a daily basis how ad agencies, productions companies, etc. throw away cash for rentals, camera equipments, make-up, etc. etc. IMO they can't make the actual difference (but will always FEEL it!!!) so they need to be educated.
Absolutely, I hope scoring remains the fun and final step of our jobs as much as possible! :)

Top Bottom