What's new

New from Strezov Sampling: Afflatus Chapter - Part one: Strings

Welldone

Someone earlier asked about how any hobbiest who has purchased this views Afflatus. That would be me. I don't make a dime off of my music. I write for the love of it. Yes, it was a significant outlay. But I have no regrets. It's a tool, one I intend to enjoy using for quite a while to come.
That someone was me. Thanks for your insight about the library that helps me make my decision.

Goldie Zwecker

I own Spitfire's Albion ONE, Tundra, and Chamber Strings, and was planning on getting Cinematic Studio Strings this Black Friday sale, based on the overwhelming love for that "basic" string library. However, Afflatus took my money instead (I never saw it coming!). From my initial tests using Afflatus, I think Afflatus is more than adequate to handle most of the use I have for a string library.

There are some great string patches in Albion V Tundra that I'll still turn to, but apart from these, Afflatus looks to have what I need. The grit and life in the attacks of the short articulation patches are amazing. There are some echos of this in some Albion ONE patches, but Afflatus trumps them in my opinion.
Afflatus sounds amazing. Still, it's an addition and not a replacement - and of course depends on what libraries we're talking about. For example Tundra can't really be replaced (or even compared) to Afflatus as does Albion One. First, they are both more than just string libraries. They also have brass, winds, percussion, loops, hybrid pads etc. We can discuss the string section within albion or ark - but that's about it.
Also, there are some very specific libraries with a very niche sound that Afflatus doesn't cover so they don't overlap. Tundra is an example that contains - in the string section - very unique articulations that aren't covered by any other library for that matter. The Bernard Hermman toolkit is another example.
The interesting questions are indeed how Afflatus compares to spitfire's symphonic strings and chamber strings. I think in the case of at least chamber strings - they are still not "threatened" (for lack of better words) because it's focused on a smaller ensemble vs the 50 piece string section of afflatus, and has way more articulations. So they may compliment each other rather than compete. As for symphonic strings - i'll need to hear a bit more.

Goldie Zwecker

I need to be candid here. I was planning to wait for sales on Spitfire libraries (British Composer Toolkit being one of them), and perhaps "The Orchestra" by Best Service/Sonuscore
I wouldn't give up the idea of "The Orchestra" as it doesn't really conflict with Afflatus (apart from $$ :) )
The Orchestra is more about composition ideas and making "mini arrangements" involving multiple instruments interacting. So, when you get the chance - go for it. It's really inspiring.

Mucusman

Enthusiastic hobbyist
Afflatus sounds amazing. Still, it's an addition and not a replacement - and of course depends on what libraries we're talking about. For example Tundra can't really be replaced (or even compared) to Afflatus as does Albion One. First, they are both more than just string libraries. They also have brass, winds, percussion, loops, hybrid pads etc. We can discuss the string section within albion or ark - but that's about it.
Agreed. When I compared Afflatus to Albion ONE, I only had in mind the string portion of Albion ONE. And no, I'm not planning on removing Chamber Strings from my hard drive, or Tunda. Each library has its strengths and weaknesses, and certain bits that they excel in above and beyond anything else. However, I do believe I'll be turning to my other string libraries a lot less now that I have Afflatus. That was my point.

I've come to trust the collective wisdom of the fine men and women here on VI-Control. There will always be diverse opinions on every library, but when I find overwhelming satisfaction with a particular library -- and I can see that this library fits the style of music I write -- I find that if I purchase that library, I am not disappointed.

Resources for most of us are limited; we can't enjoy every new library that comes out. By saying yes to one library, we say no to one or more others.

I have a quote saved at the bottom of a document I keep on VST libraries I'm interested in that I've found insightful. It helped me most when I just starting out in the VST world (having used hardware synths before that), and continues to help me, though I have not always succeeded in holding to it. I can't find the attribution, but here's the quote:

I'd buy one top quality component at a time rather than think a few hundred dollars will get you every area of an orchestra (well, it will, but none of them will be top quality). So I'd start with strings & percussion, then look at some brass. By that time you'll know where you're heading with your music and know whether to expand into woodwind, more percussion, world instruments, or perhaps some specialized solo instruments like the violin or cello... BUY WELL OR BUY TWICE.

lp59burst

I'm just a "hobbyist"...
So... if I buy it from Strezov's site directly I have to pay PayPal's less than optimal exchange rates plus my bank cards foreign currency fee which pretty much negates my um... :rolleyes:, €30 crossgrade discount for owning Freyja/Wotan/Arva.

If I buy from T&S I don't get my um... :rolleyes: (;)), €30 crossgrade discount for owning Freyja/Wotan/Arva but, no fees because they accept USD via Amazon pay...

I think my math is correct...

Wish I was paying attention to this thread on Wednesday last... :sneaky: ;) :cool:

AxEbel

Really love the sound of this library and probabbly going to invest in it soon but has there been any mention of the following Chapters like Brass and when they can be expected? Just cant wait to hear what they do with brass...

SoNowWhat?

realised I can type here
So... if I buy it from Strezov's site directly I have to pay PayPal's less than optimal exchange rates plus my bank cards foreign currency fee which pretty much negates my um... :rolleyes:, €30 crossgrade discount for owning Freyja/Wotan/Arva.

If I buy from T&S I don't get my um... :rolleyes: (;)), €30 crossgrade discount for owning Freyja/Wotan/Arva but, no fees because they accept USD via Amazon pay...

I think my math is correct...

Wish I was paying attention to this thread on Wednesday last... :sneaky: ;) :cool:
Don’t quote me (I haven’t done it yet) but I’m pretty sure somebody else posted that you have the option to pay via credit card (direct), rather than use PayPal account when you select pay with PayPal. Am I correct in thinking all payments go through PayPal on Strezov site?

artomatic

I Compose With My Ears
Don’t quote me (I haven’t done it yet) but I’m pretty sure somebody else posted that you have the option to pay via credit card (direct), rather than use PayPal account when you select pay with PayPal. Am I correct in thinking all payments go through PayPal on Strezov site?

I paid with my cc (Amex) via PayPal.

Simon Ravn

So many raving reviews inhere, it's hard to resist even with the reservations I have about it.

Any small demos/snippets you who love it so much could post to help me make a decision? :)

Mucusman

Enthusiastic hobbyist
Any small demos/snippets you who love it so much could post to help me make a decision? :)
Here you go. Out of the box stock sounds with no other processing, FX, reverb, etc.

I tried to highlight some of the uniquenesses (at least for me) inherent in this library.

Patches used:
1. Ensemble Shorts Divisi + Middle East Strings (0:00 - 0:20)
2. Contemporary Strings + Impressionist Violins 1 (0:21 - 0:30)
3. Minimalist Strings Legato + Impressionist Violins 1 (0:31 - 0:54)

Sibelius19

Music is just color and rhythm --Debussy
A combonination of Lush, Minimalist, Le Sacre and Scene D'amour (in various string combinations). Lots of layers. Probably not the most "realistic" arrangement, but what the hey. Everything heard is from Afflatus.

Last edited:

Simon Ravn

Hi guys, thank you very much for your efforts! I still hear the issues I heard in the first demos. I don't want/need these now, will pick them up at a later sale... :) Thanks anyway.

chrispire

Chris Pire
I’d love to hear from anyone who has had the chance to use both CSS and Afflatus already:
Comparitive strengths and weaknesses.
Tone.
Playability.
Realism.
Expressiveness.
In particular I’m also curious about dynamics and how well each library presents itself at pp levels.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Got a Black Friday decision to make!

HelixK

I’d love to hear from anyone who has had the chance to use both CSS and Afflatus already:
Tone.
Playability.
Realism.
Expressiveness.
In particular I’m also curious about dynamics and how well each library presents itself at pp levels.

I have CSS+CSSS, Century Strings, Spitfire Symphonic Strings, 8Dio Intimate Strings and Berlin Strings. If Strezov Sampling sends me a copy of Afflatus I'll gladly do a comparison video for you :grin:

Cory Pelizzari

(Solonoid Studio)
Tone.
Playability.
Realism.
Expressiveness.

Tone - CS has a bold classical/cinematic sound whereas Afflatus has an opulent retro cinematic sound.

Playability - CS takes a lot of practice, whereas Afflatus is user friendly and has time saving polyphonic legato and divisi switching.

Realism - both sound real in their own way, CS sounding more traditional and Afflatus sounding more like a 70's scoring session.

Expressiveness - both libraries are very expressive, with CS having a strong molto vibrato and Afflatus having different styles of progressive vibrato.

Dynamics-wise, Afflatus is designed so that the pp dynamics have plenty of volume, plus the sordino and flautando really puts the spotlight on soft passages. CS is more classical in that regard, where the pp dynamics are quiet and understated.

Basically, CS is for hardcore composers and arrangers looking for a disciplined yet expressive scoring stage sound. Afflatus is for all out expression, variety and a much warmer sound.

Top Bottom