What's new

My fav youtube educational videos:

Hi

here in one place are my Fav Youtube videos. You can learn heaps from these babies and some of them have Patreon subscriptions for as low as $5 a month which will let you start a dialogue and ask questions.

All the best

ed
Just discovered this thread. Thank you!

These are subjects I'm very interested in and yet it never showed up in my YouTube suggestions. Thanks for your work, I hope you keep at It :)
Thanks so much! I fully intend to! After Empire a break to do some Jerry Goldsmith stuff I think then Return of the Jedi plus composition tutorial things and quick tips

Hi

here in one place are my Fav Youtube videos. You can learn heaps from these babies and some of them have Patreon subscriptions for as low as $5 a month which will let you start a dialogue and ask questions.

All the best

ed
This is an awesome list. One recommendation I have is another channel called Listening In. The channel is inactive now I beleive, but they still have left behind a pretty large database of very well made analysis of film-scores and also classical music. The visuals are also phenomenal and the whole channel overall is just really high quality.

Thought I would put this in here although I can start a new Howard Shore thread?
Spent ages doing this long Shelob's Lair cue from The Return of the King (Lord of the Rings)

A completely different style from JW and uses 'blended orchestration' ie everything doubled.

"This is the film version (or as close to it as is possible) rather than the 'complete score' version.

I've reduced by getting rid of extraneous 8ve doublings so there will be some inconsistencies with this reduction. Some aleatoric work was done presumably in the session as it differs a little from what you might hear in a live-to- picture version.

The style of orchestration is best described in Doug Adams' superb volume Called The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films.

'Rather than treating the orchestra traditionally as delineated instrument families, Shore worked with it as a single mass ensemble divided by its ranges'. Adams goes on to say that the orchestration was rather delineated in terms of ranges and degrees of low, middle and high.' (from Doug Adams The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films, prologue)

What I find almost unique about the approach is

a) it's expedient (there are fewer notes to write) and given the over 10 hours of content this is not a surprise and

b) it gives the film a special colour which is most unlike any other film.

The interconnectedness of the blends gave rise to a fair few other scores particularly in the games music industry (Elden Ring, Skyrim etc) which pays homage to this style of writing.

Above all though it's the thematic material which never fails to sway our emotions. (Gandalf revealing the light in Moria, the Lighting of the Beacons of Gondor and of course the Shire theme). In this cue we see Shore at his most atonal and oblique (atonal pitch collections, collections of 8 notes that represent the 8 legs of the accursed spider Shelob, the two sets of four pitches that also represent this and his aleatoric writing (also based on 4 pitch tetrachords). "

Would be interested in comments (as always)

Dom

Hey everyone!
Just wanted to post up our season finale episode on the Virtual Orchestration channel. It's less 'educational' than the other stuff on the channel, and more experimental, but we hope you like it. And we're also giving away a free set of experimental cello patches that I use in the episode. The link is in the description of the video. Hope you enjoy the episode and the free 'Reverie' library!

I enjoy Thomas Goss’ Orchestration channel. Also David Bruce’s composition channel. And of course Sir Guy’s channel. Love his vids.

Top Bottom