What's new

Mac Studio (New Hardware Mac Computer)!!!!

Ok, maybe it’s a logic only thing but there is a way to load logic projects with tracks turned off, or the instruments w/o ram until needed.
Should be a fast load w m1 ultra. Or maybe not?
Not sure but I would love to know! I am working with a template that consists of over 250 VI's but I also work in Pro Tools.

Just finished the transition from trash can to Mac studio. Everything is working well and a large session is only using 50% across all threads, however for some reason when using Plugin Alliance plugins, these are instantly peaking two threads and causing stuttering on playback. I am running Logic in Rosetta, and was wondering if anyone else was having these types of problems with specific developers?

Just finished the transition from trash can to Mac studio. Everything is working well and a large session is only using 50% across all threads, however for some reason when using Plugin Alliance plugins, these are instantly peaking two threads and causing stuttering on playback. I am running Logic in Rosetta, and was wondering if anyone else was having these types of problems with specific developers?
I just transitioned from a Trash Can to a M1 Max MBP. Fresh install. In Rosetta mode I get the exact same issue with Best Service Engine too. Two threads peak and cause crackles.

I already dislike Engine for various reasons. This new issue is the cherry on top that has me putting all Best Service library purchases on hold until they release a native update.

I just transitioned from a Trash Can to a M1 Max MBP. Fresh install. In Rosetta mode I get the exact same issue with Best Service Engine too. Two threads peak and cause crackles.

I already dislike Engine for various reasons. This new issue is the cherry on top that has me putting all Best Service library purchases on hold until they release a native update.
I just tried loading a few Engine instances running Ancient Era Persia and they seem to be running okay without peaking Threads. I’ll have to check which version of Engine I am running and get back to you. Have you tried using Vienna ensemble locally as a work around?

Mhhh, ordering status….32 or 64 Chocobytes of Ram?
Im currently on 8 (in letters= P.O.O.R) using more AI Kontakt libs now which are killing it when im not purring (purging?!). I felt 8GB was fine until then. But would 32 be fine?

I have similar issues with a M1 Max MBP 16” 64GB with Eastwest Opus. I can have the issue with only 1 or 2 tracks, loading a patch from the orchestral libraries, and then on the first notes (play live or play from the sequence), I will have one core quickly spiking and then going down… and then if I try again, it could be fine, no spikes at all… and then later on I come back to the track and bam, it will spike again. Also in Logic with Rosetta. Also, it’s happening with all samples on the internal 8TB SSD, so it shouldn’t be a bandwidth issue from the drive, and it shouldn’t be a memory issue either since I had 64GB and it happens with only couple of tracks and very little use… so I really wonder if it’s not because of the Rosetta conversion. I tried to start Logic in native, but I couldn’t confirm the issue… it’s happening with 256 samples latency. I wonder if anyone else has this problem… I was starting to think it was just Opus (nice ‘Play’ didn’t had good reputation in the past). I never used Opus before, so I can’t compare with previous mac. Any feedback is welcome, and I hope mine will help you in some way…

Mhhh, ordering status….32 or 64 Chocobytes of Ram?
Im currently on 8 (in letters= P.O.O.R) using more AI Kontakt libs now which are killing it when im not purring (purging?!). I felt 8GB was fine until then. But would 32 be fine?
I’ve seen many test from MaxTech where 32GB are doing just fine in comparison to 64GB and it only slows done couple seconds on long renders, video treatment. I have MBP Max with 64GB and I checked and I rarely go over 32GB memory. However, I haven’t built my composer template yet, it’s my first time, so it takes me time to figure out what to do “right”… so I would say things could be quite different if you’re running large template that would require more RAM. If you just use your DAW “as you go” adding tracks one by one, loading libs as you need it, I think you could get by with 32GB. The swap on those new M1 machines is VERY fast and we can’t barely feel any slowliness under charge. However, RAM is RAM and if you’re looking for pure raw memory for large template and to load plenty of libs already, I would recommend the biggest you can afford. That’s why I went for the 64GB MBP. The fact they’re not upgradable in the future, I went the extra miles to make sure I won’t be bother in the future. And if I need more than 64GB, it will mean I will run some VEP servers anyway… I hope it makes sense. YMMV

I have similar issues with a M1 Max MBP 16” 64GB with Eastwest Opus. I can have the issue with only 1 or 2 tracks, loading a patch from the orchestral libraries, and then on the first notes (play live or play from the sequence), I will have one core quickly spiking and then going down… and then if I try again, it could be fine, no spikes at all… and then later on I come back to the track and bam, it will spike again. Also in Logic with Rosetta. Also, it’s happening with all samples on the internal 8TB SSD, so it shouldn’t be a bandwidth issue from the drive, and it shouldn’t be a memory issue either since I had 64GB and it happens with only couple of tracks and very little use… so I really wonder if it’s not because of the Rosetta conversion. I tried to start Logic in native, but I couldn’t confirm the issue… it’s happening with 256 samples latency. I wonder if anyone else has this problem… I was starting to think it was just Opus (nice ‘Play’ didn’t had good reputation in the past). I never used Opus before, so I can’t compare with previous mac. Any feedback is welcome, and I hope mine will help you in some way…
Thanks for the reply. It’s definitely something I’ll be looking in to. I’m maybe wondering if it has something to do with how Logic is managing the cores. Are you using the automatic setting in the processing cores option in the audio preferences? It will be interesting to see how performance changes with limiting the core usage within Logic.

Same here. Samples on the internal drive, 64gb ram, Logic in Rosetta. 128 samples latency. Engine will sometimes behave for a bit, but it usually takes just a few chords to start crackling even with just one instance.

Has anyone tried large templates in logic (native m1) and Kontakt (native) and how fast it loads with and w/o ram purge/Kontakt/preclear ram etc ?

I want to see if logic works Kontakt can go back and forth easily between projects or will it be waiting a long while in ultra.

I think it really depends on the player. UVI doesn’t load one bit faster on my M1 Max than it did on my 5,1. Other players, on the other hand, are noticeably faster.
Dang. I was really hoping to see some improvements with the UVI player especially. Do you see any difference when scrolling through instrument presets (once a specific instrument is loaded)? If I loop playback and scroll through UVI instruments on my trashcan, I'll get a CPU overload message every time. UVI is the only player that this happens with and it's a major buzzkill for something like drum samples, when you have to move quickly.

I’ve seen many test from MaxTech where 32GB are doing just fine in comparison to 64GB and it only slows done couple seconds on long renders, video treatment. I have MBP Max with 64GB and I checked and I rarely go over 32GB memory. However, I haven’t built my composer template yet, it’s my first time, so it takes me time to figure out what to do “right”… so I would say things could be quite different if you’re running large template that would require more RAM. If you just use your DAW “as you go” adding tracks one by one, loading libs as you need it, I think you could get by with 32GB. The swap on those new M1 machines is VERY fast and we can’t barely feel any slowliness under charge. However, RAM is RAM and if you’re looking for pure raw memory for large template and to load plenty of libs already, I would recommend the biggest you can afford. That’s why I went for the 64GB MBP. The fact they’re not upgradable in the future, I went the extra miles to make sure I won’t be bother in the future. And if I need more than 64GB, it will mean I will run some VEP servers anyway… I hope it makes sense. YMMV
Got it. I think im a low 32 Person. I have no humongous libs, and when i get them someone else is is need. I dont plan ahead anymore too far, so another + there.

Are you using the automatic setting in the processing cores option in the audio preferences? It will be interesting to see how performance changes with limiting the core usage within Logic.
I use Manual 10 core, with Large buffer... not sure if it's the best settings for M1 Max chipset. I've been in a long hiatus, and I'm coming back in with the M1 (so I'm starting fresh, but then I have no idea what the best settings for M1 could be).

Got it. I think im a low 32 Person. I have no humongous libs, and when i get them someone else is is need. I dont plan ahead anymore too far, so another + there.
I would say, it also mainly depend to how long you plan to keep your system. I hate to change systems, it's always a huge PITA to reinstall everything, so I want to keep my system as long as possible, at least for the next 5 or 6 years. So I went for the higher RAM quantity. But if I would plan to change my system in the next 2-3 years, then I would probably just stick with 32GB. At least that's how I see it... I hope it helps

I would say, it also mainly depend to how long you plan to keep your system. I hate to change systems, it's always a huge PITA to reinstall everything, so I want to keep my system as long as possible, at least for the next 5 or 6 years. So I went for the higher RAM quantity. But if I would plan to change my system in the next 2-3 years, then I would probably just stick with 32GB. At least that's how I see it... I hope it helps
Yea it did help, thx. I bought my imac i5@8gb not even two years ago because i had no other option back then. In the end it was a loss though. If these investments bring no penny back at all for me, its just a too expensive hobby to fool around with. Imagine all those Lego‘s for those costs.

Just Reinstalled everything too because of Monterey, and it took me 14 hours straight….and i dont even have much…really not so much, oof.

Yea it did help, thx. I bought my imac i5@8gb not even two years ago because i had no other option back then. In the end it was a loss though. If these investments bring no penny back at all for me, its just a too expensive hobby to fool around with. Imagine all those Lego‘s for those costs.

Just Reinstalled everything too because of Monterey, and it took me 14 hours straight….and i dont even have much…really not so much, oof.
I've been reinstalling for a month now, because I play a little bit and then notice I need to reinstall something, so I download, reinstall, and then play again... then I notice something else. So it takes me a while to make sure I don't forget anything, but also I start fresh and only reinstall what I really need and don't copy any files from my old system. Not sure it's the best way to do, but that's how I do all the time...

I did a fresh install, but before I did, made sure I had all the plugin info documented. And the VI Samples were just copied over from my old Mac Pro. Took me three days, part-time, including testing, then moved my current scoring project to the new machine. Despite occasional "poof- gone!" crashes, my efficiency is much better thanks to the speedy new Mac.

Dang. I was really hoping to see some improvements with the UVI player especially. Do you see any difference when scrolling through instrument presets (once a specific instrument is loaded)? If I loop playback and scroll through UVI instruments on my trashcan, I'll get a CPU overload message every time. UVI is the only player that this happens with and it's a major buzzkill for something like drum samples, when you have to move quickly.
I don’t really have any way to test this because I only have one UVI instrument, the Ravenscroft 275.

I've seen conflicting reports about manually configuring Logic to use the efficiency cores on M1 Pro/Max/Ultra. Aren't they used by the OS, applications, audio drivers and various other background tasks like UI rendering? They're also significantly weaker than the performance cores, so wouldn't they introduce greater unpredictability to audio processing?

Last edited:
Top Bottom