What's new

Mac Studio (New Hardware Mac Computer)!!!!

On a Pro/Max/Ultra, I'd probably go with Performance Cores only in Logic, and let the Efficiency Cores concentrate on background processes. On the original M1, since it has four of each core type, I'd stick with 4+2(or 3) in Logic, leaving 1-2 Efficiency Cores for background tasks.

I'd also recommend at least trying Logic in native mode if you have a fair number of native plugins, and letting the AUCompatibilityService handle your Intel plugins. No guarantees on how each Intel plugin will perform, but it's worth trying to get the extra performance out of Logic and your native plugins instead of limiting everything to Rosetta.

My Max 64gb 2tb arrives tomorrow instead of late June as expected! Let the dongle-ing begin!

I can't remember the last time I did a clean install. I should be able to get some work done on it by the time the new models are released.

My Max 64gb 2tb arrives tomorrow instead of late June as expected! Let the dongle-ing begin!

I can't remember the last time I did a clean install. I should be able to get some work done on it by the time the new models are released.
Didn't take me that long. Copying all the VI Samples directly across saved a lot of time and download bandwidth. I used a USB3 SATA hard drive dock costing under $30 to get my samples off my old Mac Pro's SATA SSDs. The app and plugin installs go pretty quick... Have fun and good luck!

I'm curious to hear how @KEM got along with the migration assistant. Was it painless? Any problems?

Also curious to hear how @KEM's (or anyone else's) system is performing? Are you happy with the new spaceship? :emoji_nerd: Does it run circles around your old machine? Stories, stories!

I'm curious to hear how @KEM got along with the migration assistant. Was it painless? Any problems?

Also curious to hear how @KEM's (or anyone else's) system is performing? Are you happy with the new spaceship? :emoji_nerd: Does it run circles around your old machine? Stories, stories!

Migration assistant worked perfectly!! There was only one plugin I own that had an issue but it was a very easy fix, just had to redownload a file and place it back in its folder (an Acustica plugin in case anyone is wondering), I had about 2tb of data to migrate and with a Thunderbolt cable it only took about 30 minutes, I’d say overall it was a perfect experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone that’s on the fence about it

As far as performance goes this thing can definitely handle huge workloads, I’m currently working on a mockup of a certain film trilogy (which you will all hear in a couple of months ;)) that is currently about 13 minutes of music, well over 100 tracks of active synth/orchestra midi with processing, running at 32bit float/48khz with a buffer size of 256, AND a full mastering chain on, all of that and it’s running at about 50% cpu

Migration assistant worked perfectly!! There was only one plugin I own that had an issue but it was a very easy fix, just had to redownload a file and place it back in its folder (an Acustica plugin in case anyone is wondering), I had about 2tb of data to migrate and with a Thunderbolt cable it only took about 30 minutes, I’d say overall it was a perfect experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone that’s on the fence about it

As far as performance goes this thing can definitely handle huge workloads, I’m currently working on a mockup of a certain film trilogy (which you will all hear in a couple of months ;)) that is currently about 13 minutes of music, well over 100 tracks of active synth/orchestra midi with processing, running at 32bit float/48khz with a buffer size of 256, AND a full mastering chain on, all of that and it’s running at about 50% cpu
Awesome! Great news all around!!! Thanks for the update

Reactions: KEM
Awesome! Great news all around!!! Thanks for the update

No problem! Hope it helps ease anyones worries about what this machine can do, the only plugins that are giving me any real issues right now are Soundtoys, but they’re working on vst3 versions anyways so that shouldn’t be an issue for much longer

I should also mention that I’m running Cubase 12 in Rosetta, if I was running it natively and only using plugins that are also native to Apple Silicon my performance levels would be even better, so if we’re being honest the Mac Studio really hasn’t even seen its full potential yet!!

No problem! Hope it helps ease anyones worries about what this machine can do, the only plugins that are giving me any real issues right now are Soundtoys, but they’re working on vst3 versions anyways so that shouldn’t be an issue for much longer

I should also mention that I’m running Cubase 12 in Rosetta, if I was running it natively and only using plugins that are also native to Apple Silicon my performance levels would be even better, so if we’re being honest the Mac Studio really hasn’t even seen its full potential yet!!
Can you share which specs your Mac Studio has? And how do you find Ram usage with the –100 tracks of synths and orchestra? Do you need to do any bouncing/freezing to keep things stable? Thx

Can you share which specs your Mac Studio has? And how do you find Ram usage with the –100 tracks of synths and orchestra? Do you need to do any bouncing/freezing to keep things stable? Thx

I have the base M1 Ultra with 64gb of ram and 4tb of storage. Most of my orchestral stuff is on a VEP PC but everything is active, nothing is bounced/frozen unless I needed to do that for sound design stuff. If you’re going to have everything on this machine and not use a slave I would suggest getting the 128gb of ram just to be safe but other than that the M1 Ultra is more than capable for most workflows

Just finished the transition from trash can to Mac studio. Everything is working well and a large session is only using 50% across all threads, however for some reason when using Plugin Alliance plugins, these are instantly peaking two threads and causing stuttering on playback. I am running Logic in Rosetta, and was wondering if anyone else was having these types of problems with specific developers?
Tried something new with Best Service Engine which seems to work. Simply increasing the buffer to 512 samples seems to have stopped CPU overloads even in Native Mode (despite the fact that native mode is not officially supported). Perhaps this might also help with your Plugin Alliance plugins. :emoji_fingers_crossed:

Last edited:
Tried something new with Best Service Engine which seems to work. Simply increasing the buffer to 512 samples seems to have stopped CPU overloads even in Native Mode (despite the fact that native mode is not officially supported). Perhaps this might also help with your Plugin Alliance plugins. :emoji_fingers_crossed:
Awesome! Glad you found a work around for Best Service. Will give the sample buffer a play around to see if it works for me too.

I have just finished setting up my Mac Studio Ultra 64Gb - works like charm and Cubase in M1 mode is impressive...

My only frustration is that some plugin developers are not releasing M1 compatible software... I has been 2 years already... VSL, Output, Celemony, SoundID - to name a few. I am wondering how much they really invest in their software development if it takes 2 years to just do an architecture port... that's really concerning...
Celemony released their Apple Silicon native Melodyne update today.

Hi Folks ...

Too busy to write out all the reasons, but I still use my 2018 Intel i9 MPB more than my brand new Mac Studio.

Software compatibility issues, weird screen draw things, weird mouse things, drives getting ejected during sleep (only with a particular hub, that is NOT sold on Amazon anymore, though) ... silly usability things are not consistently working for me.

They usually fix, if I reboot.

Thank goodness reboot is super fast.

But it's taken a lot of time and made me frustrated.

Again I wish I had time to explain but I wanted to drop by and say that I have not been 100% happy with my Mac studio + software for it (from 3rd parties, not Apple) experience ... although YMMV. My issues might be unique to me.

To be clear, many of my use cases/examples are from Video editing in Abode Premiere and not music related examples ... anyhoo....

Hi Folks ...

Too busy to write out all the reasons, but I still use my 2018 Intel i9 MPB more than my brand new Mac Studio.

Software compatibility issues, weird screen draw things, weird mouse things, drives getting ejected during sleep (only with a particular hub, that is NOT sold on Amazon anymore, though) ... silly usability things are not consistently working for me.

They usually fix, if I reboot.

Thank goodness reboot is super fast.

But it's taken a lot of time and made me frustrated.

Again I wish I had time to explain but I wanted to drop by and say that I have not been 100% happy with my Mac studio + software for it (from 3rd parties, not Apple) experience ... although YMMV. My issues might be unique to me.

To be clear, many of my use cases/examples are from Video editing in Abode Premiere and not music related examples ... anyhoo....
Dang…not what I like to hear as I wait for arrival of my Mac Studio.

Hey do use external drives for samples? If so, what kind of connection/enclosure? Sorry in advance if you’ve answered this before….

I do not, I have a VEP PC that I use instead of having external drives and I haven’t had a single issue with it’s connection

Top Bottom