vms

Hi all
I am looking for good Yamaha C7 samples for pop/ballad music
What would you recommend?

what I now know are:
sampletekk c7g
orange tree rosewood grand
impact soundworks pearl concert grand

For reliable playability and pristine sound I strongly recommend Synthogy Ivory II pianos. Their Grand Pianos collection contains a Steinway D, a Bosendorfer and a Yamaha C7.

hey thanks all for the input, I will keep them in mind

my priorities are playability & sound
good dynamic range is a major concern (aka velocity layer)
just to ensure it is expressive enough for solo/exposed part

cant find no.of velocity layer about Acoustic samples C7
anyone knows?

cant find no.of velocity layer about Acoustic samples C7
anyone knows?
I remember also looking for it, and somewhere it is mentioned, but for some reason its not in their main specs list. If I recall it is somewhere around 12 or 13 layers (but during the last sales I looked at so many piano's I maybe confuse them)

Nonetheless, I believe I am quite demanding in that area too,and I can tell you that this C7 from AS is quite good. Full boddied sound when you use a mix of all 3 mics, and the release samples also make much difference to me as well. You can play nice pp up to F or maybe FF. It doesn't have the high "spleng" of the FFF layer for a Rachmaninov forte but I am quite happy with the dynamic range.

btw: if you want a nice review of "Pearl grand" have a look at @tack 's review (or anothercrappypianist as he jokingly names his alter ego on youtube)

Last edited:
I really like Orange Tree Samples Evolution Rosewood Grand, it was my go to piano for a bit because it had a better velocity response than my other libraries at the time, but I stopped using it as much as the timbre of Yamaha C7s doesn't appeal much for solo playing.

Some other options, none of which I can give any feedback on as I haven't tried them:
  • Sampletekk's TBO is also Yamaha C7 - same piano as the 7CG, but the close mic perspective...
  • and the Sampletekk TVBO has both mic perspectives (ie it is 7CG + TBO together).
  • E-instruments Session Keys Grand Y
  • Chocolate Audio 88 Series Model 7 (just bought, haven't had a chance to try yet)
  • Production Voices Production Grand
  • 8Dio 1990 Legacy Grand
  • There's one in EastWest Quantum Leap's Pianos
  • Plus everything everyone else has already mentioned
Not C7's but may work for a bright pop sound:
  • Native Instruments/Scarbee Alicia's Keys (a C3 Neo, not a C7)
  • Wavesfactory's Mercury (sampled from Freddie Mercury's Fazioli F228)
  • Sampletekk's White Grand (a Malmsjö. Lots of different Versions - I think WCG Mk2 is the most complete)

Have you considered Garritan CFX? It's based on the much more expensive 9ft Yamaha. It has 20 velocity layers and 3 mic perspectives and plays very nicely. Now that it supports half- and re-pedaling, I think it's my second favorite piano VST after Ivory American D.

(I got it from Musicians Friend with a 15% coupon, making it $135.)

thanks all (really appreciate yr list Lode_Runner)

well...there are so many c7 samples haha
honestly I can't make up my mind
but I am now sure that I am going to get composer cloud
so..literally east west c7

anyway
of coz I would still like to know more about good c7 samples
keep em coming :)

I guess I will pass AS c7 if it has only 12 velocity layers & no RR

regarding Garritan CFX
um...honestly most orchestral stuff from Garritan are...meh, IMO
I cant help but worry about the quality of CFX :/

Alex doesn't overly hype & promote their stuff (not saying there's anything wrong with that) it's also one of the best bargains out there at $69. I also believe if you own or buy CSS there is a special price for it as well.

Alex doesn't overly hype & promote their stuff (not saying there's anything wrong with that) it's also one of the best bargains out there at $69. I also believe if you own or buy CSS there is a special price for it as well.
I don't think you can expect much from it as a solo piano and as playable in comparison.

Look at the specs and you dont see it even compares with f.e. Keyscapes c7 or AS C7

Your requirements always determine your needs. Since the as c7 also can be made to sound darker I enjoy tweaking it to my needs whilst at the moment it does it all what I what from a piano

Last edited:
thanks all (really appreciate yr list Lode_Runner)

regarding Garritan CFX
um...honestly most orchestral stuff from Garritan are...meh, IMO
I cant help but worry about the quality of CFX :/

The Garritan CFX is extremely good, but as said, no C7 and it doesn't sound like one either.

When I don't want the big sounding Steinway or CFX sounds I use the Ivory II C7, it's pretty nice in Gospel music for instance. The Keyscape one is quite dark for a C7 and I never really liked it, it has some strange quirks, some heavy resonance on some of the bass notes for instance.

Top Bottom