What's new

Junkie XL Brass?

They will be burning the midnight oil if it does come out tonight!

Although maybe they are timing it for an American/LA audience.

Thinking only a release date announcement today. Shot across the bow of Black Friday sales.

Quite possibly. I dont think it will be long till release though. They only have a month left realisticallty before xmas holidays, if they want to keep to the scheduled 2019 release.

I'm reasonably hyped for this. Dunno why.

I've been using CSB as my main brass ever since it came out and it's splendid. Backed it up with some of the brass from Albion 1+3 just to add a bit of versatility and that worked great for synthestrating on a very "Indiana Jones"-y soundtrack recently. It's easy to write & synthestrate fast and produce consistent results. The dynamic range is perfect and the library can switch smoothly between emotional legato and fast agile lines.

Modern Scoring Brass and Century Brass were easy "passes" for me. MSB was perhaps the most tempting but I just didn't gravitate towards the sound too much, there have been hardly any user-created demos, and while the workflow is a cut above the usual, I felt it might still be too hard to really wrangle all of those soloists together.

Recently I went thru all the brass libraries I own (too many- CSB, Caspian, Hollywood Brass Gold, Adventure & Trailer Brass, Berlin Brass, Auddict 8Horn and Cinesamples 12Horn, and a few odds and ends) and Berlin Brass was by far the highest quality complement to CSB. The issue is Berlin is programmed SO inconsistently. All four horns play different dynamics at the same modwheel position for instance. I've sunk a bit of time already into "conforming" the programming of Berlin to match CSB. I also like the inherent musicality & passion of the samples in CSB a bit more - not all eleven musicians in Berlin seem to be star players. But the sound of Teldex is probably, even as a matter of taste, preferable to Trackdown and Berlin's mic options are definitely superior - 6 mics available each of which have a fairly distinct perspective. The ORTF mic perspective is very tasty.

So the idea of OT going back into Teldex to do more brass sampling, which will hopefully be reasonably compatible with Berlin Brass, is pretty tantalizing. The potential for complementing or augmenting CSB is interesting as well. We know from the video there's going to be a 12 trombones patch, a 4 horns patch, 3 trumpets, and what looks like either 10 or 12 horns (probably 12!). Tom also mentioned soloists and small ensembles. Maybe something like 1, (2?), 4, 12 horns.

It will be interesting to see the lineup, features, price, and if this is coming out on their new player only or if it will be available thru Kontakt as well. I wish them the best with their player but if it's OT-player only, I definitely shall not pre-order, and will wait to see what people think of the player & its stability.

Last edited:
I'm reasonably hyped for this. Dunno why.

I've been using CSB as my main brass ever since it came out and it's splendid. Backed it up with some of the brass from Albion 1+3 just to add a bit of versatility and that worked great for synthestrating on a very "Indiana Jones"-y soundtrack recently. It's easy to write & synthestrate fast and produce consistent results. The dynamic range is perfect.

Modern Scoring Brass and Century Brass were easy "passes" for me. MSB was perhaps the most tempting but I just didn't gravitate towards the sound too much, there have been hardly any user-created demos, and while the workflow is a cut above the normal organization I felt it might still be too hard to really wrangle all of those soloists together.

Recently I went thru all the brass libraries I own (too many- CSB, Hollywood Brass Gold, Adventure & Trailer Brass, Berlin Brass, Auddict 8Horn and Cinesamples 12Horn, and a few odds and ends) and Berlin Brass was by far the highest quality complement to CSB. The issue is Berlin is programmed SO inconsistently. All four horns play different dynamics at the same modwheel position for instance. I've sunk a bit of time already into "conforming" the programming of Berlin to match CSB. I also like the inherent musicality & passion of the samples in CSB a bit more - not all eleven musicians in Berlin seem to be star players. But the sound of Teldex is probably, even as a matter of taste, preferable to Trackdown and Berlin's mic options are definitely superior - 6 mics available each of which have a fairly distinct perspective.

So the idea of OT going back into Teldex to do more brass sampling, which will hopefully be reasonably compatible with Berlin Brass, is pretty tantalizing. The potential for complementing or augmenting CSB is interesting as well. We know from the video there's going to be a 12 trombones patch, a 4 horns patch, 3 trumpets, and what looks like either 10 or 12 horns (probably 12!). Tom also mentioned soloists and small ensembles. Maybe something like 1, (2?), 4, 12 horns.
You'd do well to dock your excitement levels. Revolutionary advice, I know. But really, I very strongly doubt this library will be as deeply sampled as Berlin Brass. The scope it's trying to cover strikes me as too large for that to be practical.

Unless this comes with a pricetag that will make BB blush, corners will have to be cut. And my guess is that it'll have limited articulations.

Personally, I'm just looking forward for news on the store and player. lol

Orchestral Tools website is only currently displaying its logo on the home page, which suggests an update is imminent. OR the website is offline!!

You'd do well to dock your excitement levels. Revolutionary advice, I know. But really, I very strongly doubt this library will be as deeply sampled as Berlin Brass. The scope it's trying to cover strikes me as too large for that to be practical.

Unless this comes with a pricetag that will make BB blush, corners will have to be cut. And my guess is that it'll have limited articulations.

Personally, I'm just looking forward for news on the store and player. lol

I wonder what their goal is with this library? What's going to be different about this that I can't get in Berlin Brass or why choose one over the other?

Still loving the comments on that youtube video:

"I think this is the scene where cyborg sees the future with the mother boxes and with those scenes, this music plays. Either that or this is played during the scene where the league fails and there is an explosion while flash is going back to give everyone another chance so no one dies and hes running with all of the blue lightning "

:rofl:

I'm hyped for this as well - CSB is on my list for BF. I wonder if this would replace the need for that or augment as you mentioned.

Once you get CSB I think you'll find other brass libraries are more of a "want" than a "need" but it's always nice to have more tools as long as they bring something to the table!

yes, but larger ensembles requirer fewer articulations (and probably in practice smaller dynamic range too...) If you're gonna pull out a 12hn or even a 4hn unison, well, it's probably playing a loud, boisterous unison line in the middle or upper register...

I wonder what their goal is with this library? What's going to be different about this that I can't get in Berlin Brass or why choose one over the other?

Just from the small hints they've dropped, this looks like it's going to have some massive modern-Hollywood-sized brass ensembles (12 trombones = Zimmer's ensemble on Inception together with 6 horns and 4 tubas). Also from the video it looks like they are recorded centrally rather than traditional brass positioning? Could be wrong about that. Berlin Brass is far more traditional. It's 3 trumpets, 4 horns, 3 trombones and tuba, recorded in their normal positions.

Would guess this library will be like Frozo meeting CSB and having a love child on a v8 tin can in the desert.

its here :)

New storefront! Can we buy individual patches!? The patches are listed and at the top it says "licenses" not 'license'. Looks like the player must be ready too?

Top Bottom