What's new

Jazz upright bass

this just went on sale:

not sure about its jazz application, but from the vid, the pizz sounds pretty good.

this just went on sale:

not sure about its jazz application, but from the vid, the pizz sounds pretty good.
I bought it a while back, I should go take a look at it again. But so far I mostly like it for arco and am not sure its nicer or more musical in usage than the Embertone bass I mostly use.

I really like the usability of Ample Upright (number of articulations, ease of use, noises, all 4 strings sampled (unlike e. g. Trilian, EZ Bass, etc. where the same note is only sampled on one string).

The one thing that really bugs me is that the E string sounds very dead and quiet compared to the other strings.

Am I the only one who noticed this? Or is there a work around?
I tried different blending of the mics, but the problem remained.

If the E string sounded as good as the other 3 strings, this would maybe be the only upright I needed.

Am I the only one who noticed this?

I’ve also always felt that the E-string sounds a little bit weaker than the 3 others, yes. But the difference seems more pronounced in some presets than in others. (In the “Bags Groove” preset, for example, which is the one I often start from, I find the instrument fairly well balanced.) And it’s certainly not something you’d notice much when the bass is used in a full arrangement or mix anyway.

There’s little you can do about what you hear as ‘deadness’, but you can change the gain of E-string (or any of the strings) separately if you go in the ‘Sample Editor’, select all the entries that have the number ‘4’ in the ‘String’-column — those are all the E-string samples — and raise their Gain (right-most column) a bit.

_

Modo bass 2 will have an upright bass also, but nobody really knows if it’s any good since they havent released any decent videos about it

Can anybody that owns both the Ample Sound and the VSL Synchronized Upright comment on pros and cons?
My unorganized thoughts as I wake and drink coffee:

I have the Synchron-ized. I demo'd the Ample Sound one and it's very good too (and on my list to buy). Different characters.

I own the Toontrack EZB one too, and it's also very good. Probably the most mix ready one I've heard. I use this one the most - probably because it's fun to just drop in some chord midi and have it generate a pretty good sounding bass line for you. You can demo this one too I think?

Are you familiar with the VSL VI Player? If so the VI Upright Bass can be bought for only € 44 by itself, which is a great deal. The VI Player is not super friendly for new users though, and the VI bass doesn't have any reverb environment setup so you'd have to figure out that yourself. VI Jazz Drums are also great btw!

The Synchron-ized Plucked Instrument version has the easier to use Synchron Player and IRs ( and presets like close, distance, etc). But you are paying for the three instruments. The concert guitar is fantastic too though so worth it IMO.

Yep, I was noticing this the other day, if I want only the synchronized upright whose sound I love and would eventually add to my collection sooner or later, wtf should I have to buy two other instruments I have zero use for? At least put something I could actually use for a trio not two other random instruments just because.

Yep, I was noticing this the other day, if I want only the synchronized upright whose sound I love and would eventually add to my collection sooner or later, wtf should I have to buy two other instruments I have zero use for? At least put something I could actually use for a trio not two other random instruments just because.

That VSL library is called ‘Plucked InstremtS‘ - not ‘Jazz Double Bass’. The clue is in the name…

So Jazz double bass and nylon string guitar is unsuitable together, as per your reasoning.. ? - I very much beg to differ:

Actually it gets even better than that since you have an astonishing, mind blowing, one of a kind overdriven guitar as well. It brings back to the memory that time when Ray Brown, Paco de Lucia and Bon Jovi jammed together for the entire night... Now that was indeed memorable!

My unorganized thoughts as I wake and drink coffee:

I have the Synchron-ized. I demo'd the Ample Sound one and it's very good too (and on my list to buy). Different characters.

I own the Toontrack EZB one too, and it's also very good. Probably the most mix ready one I've heard. I use this one the most - probably because it's fun to just drop in some chord midi and have it generate a pretty good sounding bass line for you. You can demo this one too I think?

Are you familiar with the VSL VI Player? If so the VI Upright Bass can be bought for only € 44 by itself, which is a great deal. The VI Player is not super friendly for new users though, and the VI bass doesn't have any reverb environment setup so you'd have to figure out that yourself. VI Jazz Drums are also great btw!

The Synchron-ized Plucked Instrument version has the easier to use Synchron Player and IRs ( and presets like close, distance, etc). But you are paying for the three instruments. The concert guitar is fantastic too though so worth it IMO.
Any idea how many dynamic layers the VSL synchronized instrument has? I am demoing the ample and like it, but the VSL has more articulations but no info about dynamics in the online manual.

Top Bottom