What's new

Jazz upright bass

hag01

Looking for a jazz upright bass.

Trilian sounds good, it has some other stuff that could be useful, and will complete my collection, as I already have Omnisphere and Keyscape, but correct me if I wrong, some essetntial articulations are missing from Trilan's upright bass.

So to some up, I need an upright bass library, that sounds good, realistic, and with comprehensive set of articulation,
Shoot.

I've used Straight Ahead Samples Bass for years and it's always done the job for me
+1. Also, I've read good things about this one:

I believe that at the end of september, the toontrack upright ezbass expansion will be released - seems to be rather nice.

The straight ahead jazz bass sounds nice, but be aware that there are almost no articulations.

In chris hein bass there is an upright one with tons of articulations (metion this because you asked for a comprehensive set of articulations).

if it's articulations you need, VSL acoustic bass has many, for 59€. Good tone too
If I remember correctly, I need some hardware dongle before I get any VSL product, is it correct?
This prevented me to get any VSL product so far.

If I remember correctly, I need some hardware dongle before I get any VSL product, is it correct?
This prevented me to get any VSL product so far.
Yes. They will switch to iLok, but at the moment you’d still need an eLicenser (the same dongle that is used for Cubase). Sooner rather than later you won’t need this dongle anymore, but I cannot tell you “how much sooner” ;)

Yes. They will switch to iLok, but at the moment you’d still need an eLicenser (the same dongle that is used for Cubase). Sooner rather than later you won’t need this dongle anymore, but I cannot tell you “how much sooner” ;)
Oh, I have eLicenser, so it's OK.
For some reason I remembered incorrectly that VSL has their own special dongle.

I checked out now some of your suggestions, I wonder why no library has slap articulation,
Maybe there is another more professional name for "slap"

Yup the VSL jazz upright is awesome. They have a set of jazz drums as well that are highly regarded (I went with SD3 Decades instead).

For the VI player (older player) you can buy the bass (and jazz drums) ala carte. For the new Synchron Player you have to buy the bass as part of a Plucked Instruments set along with a Concert Guitar and metal guitar (lol). The Concert Guitar is really good though.

Last edited:
I like the VSL Acoustic... plenty of articulations and a very nice tone. I can get a decent, swinging performance out of it when playing the parts live.

Last edited:
I checked out now some of your suggestions, I wonder why no library has slap articulation,
Maybe there is another more professional name for "slap"
Then you ignored the Roots Upright Bass, which has the slap articulation. But I think that most libraries don't have it because it isn't used much in most ("modern") Jazz genres.

Yeah. slap is rockabilly or older jazz styles, and the two are pretty different. Funny real-life story: yeah, I do a lot of the swing-style slap, mostly from having played a lot of stuff with no drums or with cajon. One day, one guy I was playing in a band with asked me if I can play slap. I gave him the confused "whadayamean, I do that every gig" and it turns out he wanted to know whether it's possible to play electric-style slap bass on double bass. So, different kinds of slap are so different that some people don't even think of them as slap.

For walking basslines, you don't really need a lot of articulations or round robins or even dynamics, but you do need to have some release noises, string muting, transitions between notes or... some sort of dirt inbetween the notes. If you need bass solos, you will probably want portamento slides and the ability to add vibrato, and you'll definitely need high range.

Vengeful Bass (thanks for the mention, Doc!) does have swing-style slaps, and two varieties of pizz each with its own set of ghost notes, plus release noises and string-muting noises.

Top Bottom