What's new

INTRODUCING Albion NEO. The next chapter in our bestselling Albion series.

Have you and sense of whether Neo give you the same "feathered" feel in its orchestration along the lines of OACE?

Ensemble patches are great for sketching, but in practice you probably don't want all the instruments of all the time just because they happen to be in range.

Wheres when you, for instance, play an ascending melody on OACE the feathered orchestration has a lovely sense of good sections entering slowly - ie not all the violas entering immediately when you hit c2, and so on.

In practice I find it give a much nicer balance that I get with conventional ensemble patches. Which is where I would an ensemble patch in Neo might be more like OACE that SCS.
I haven't yet spent enough time with the Neo strings to say for certain, but I didn't notice any abrupt breaks. By comparison, the brass has an awful break when the flugelhorn is added to the ensemble for instance. I don't think the winds are feathered per se, but they manage the transition well. The ensemble patches of SCS are generally quite good in this respect as well, though
I thought those patches were done with mixing rather than a recorded ensemble as with Neo (or the 1/2 of Loegria).

Reactions: ism
I would not characterize BHCT as an Albion. It has individual section ensembles, some of which are very good ie. Trombones, Concert Flutes, Piccolo and Flutes, Mixed Flutes, Timpani, Horns, and others as opposed to a Brass and Woodwind patch. Some of the orchestrated combinations I don’t find as useful IMHO but there is plenty of substance to appreciate in BHCT.
No, not an Albion, but the metaphor does convey something of the relation of the libraries.

Since we're on the subject of BHCT, It got me wondering how well it would respond to IR's (especially considering the type of space it was recorded in), so I loaded up the flautandos and did a side by side comparison, one with just the tree mic, and one with just the tree mic plus Spaces 2.

Thoughts?

Since we're on the subject of BHCT, It got me wondering how well it would respond to IR's (especially considering the type of space it was recorded in), so I loaded up the flautandos and did a side by side comparison, one with just the tree mic, and one with just the tree mic plus Spaces 2.

Thoughts?

I've found BHCT and LCO Strings both benefit greatly from an IR like Spaces 2.

Thoughts?

I also like Nr. 2 much more.

But flautandos are not a good test for this purpose; almost anything sounds good on longs. If you try some sparse shorts and listen precisely to what happens in between the notes – you will then hear the room / reflections / tails.

The recordings in Air studios are by no means dry, on the opposite, they are full of very dense room information, it’s just that it is a very small room, resulting in the “dense” or “boxy” sound characteristic that is so typical to BHCT and the studio series.

And unfortunately, just adding a long tail to this or trying to add depth, messing with early ERs etc. for me results in a big mess and sounds very unrealistic and bad.

Using the close instead of the tree mics alleviates this, but sounds bad, since then really too much of the room information is lost.

Granted, I am far from advanced in these things and am sure that it is possible to achieve better results, but it has been impossible for me to “transfer” the studio sound into a believable bigger hall, especially when trying to mess with spatial depth. This also does never fully work with really dry libs, but is much easier to approximate.

Last edited:
I also like Nr. 2 much more.

But flautandos are not a good test for this purpose; almost anything sounds good on longs. If you try some sparse shorts and listen precisely to what happens in between the notes – you will then hear the room / reflections / tails.

Here's a quick spiccato test (dry vs Spaces applied). I tried blending Spaces in the best I could with what little time I had.

If anyone thinks that putting their music onto this Forum is gonna get them a gig I’d be stunned if that happened. I don’t see anyone self-promoting on this forum. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen unintentionally or intentionally but doesn’t seem to be what this forum is about unlike LinkedIn where one gets bombarded with endless self-promotion.
A bit naive...

I dig it so far but liked the sound at namm too. Now I gotta figure out the eq curve on those noise cancelling headphones :2thumbs:

So with the smaller sections in Neo, do you still get the lush Lyndhurst sound, or it more focused, eliminating that ambience?

I applied a reverb (Blackhole® reverb) on Brunel Loops - Drifting & I mixed 2 tremolos (Aperture + NEO) for support

Top Bottom