What's new

INTRODUCING Albion NEO. The next chapter in our bestselling Albion series.

Listening to the demos and videos I think this lib would play really well with Tundra and BDT, and I like the sound and that kind of thing, so I may get it once I finish learning the libs I already have, but I'm not an epic guy (musically speaking) and most times Aone feels too intense to me, so I understand why others think it's not for them or too similar to [insert here your lib]. For me it sounds really different from Tundra and BDT.

About the bacon thing, maybe they could release an update with pre EQed sounds to remove it? I'm not entirely sure it would be a problem unless exposed, tho being able to change that using the dynamics CC would be really cool to give more character just when you want it.

Anyway, watching @bfreepro video I instantly thought about stones, castles, knights and, wait for it... the Mass Effect games! So, it looks like a nice and useful lib to me.

About the bacon thing, maybe they could release an update with pre EQed sounds to remove it? I'm not entirely sure it would be a problem unless exposed, tho being able to change that using the dynamics CC would be really cool to give more character just when you want it.
It's less prominent at lower settings on the modwheel, so there's a sense in which you can dial it in and out (Modwheel for bacon fry), and if you are scoring chords, it's often masked. And I find I'm quite inspired by the sound of these winds even if I find them scored a little heavy to be used in conjunction with the more subtle potential of the strings. On the other hand, in terms of sound I'm quite happy with their distinction from the One winds on the one hand and their proximity to but difference from the Tundra winds on the other. (I find the Neo winds are more playable as a lyrical instrument than is Tundra.)

I can't help but feel this is all just mental masturbation with little music being created which in the end is the point of pursuing this path, to create useful product and get paid. How people can spend day after day discussing the insignificant minutae of a sample library instead of creating tracks to secure an income from Sound...
Yeah, how incredibly bizarre for people to discuss virtual instruments in a forum literally made for discussing virtual instruments! :emoji_fearful:

Aside from the Bacon, I've been thoroughly inspired by everything I'm hearing. I really want the library. But it's a question of want vs. need for me.
I already own all of the previous Albions (6). So I could get it relatively cheap. But then... I'm thinking of a hundred other things even cheaper that may not be as redundant as this. If I had the money, no question.
But I need to weight wants vs needs these days. Gotta stop the GAS.
Is it worth it even if I have all of the Albions?

Yeah, how incredibly bizarre for people to discuss virtual instruments in a forum literally made for discussing virtual instruments! :emoji_fearful:
Of course, I'm talking about people who seem to do nothing but or discuss computers all day after day. Whatever works for ya?!?

Of course, I'm talking about people who seem to do nothing but or discuss computers all day after day. Whatever works for ya?!?
I think we'd be assuming that they're not doing anything else, and just discussing virtual instruments all day. Many people in this field work from home so can easily access the forums while they work. Getting immediate feedback about things sometimes helps with workflow.

Many have labored long and hard for decades _ to facilitate enjoyable, stimulating retirement. Some also invested decades refining instrumental, composing, orchestrating, skills.
Many useful Forum Threads are quite diverse and require monitoring to deal with individual needs or interests. NEO seems one of these topics.

Empathize with those capable professionals who are more focused and using Forum(s) in connection with full employment. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Are there any other issues that peple can spot?

(apart from the crackling noises in the winds?)

Most libraries have a few quirks of course, as its such a huge undertaking of work.
Great sounding library but to my ears both the ambient and outriggers have a slight phase issue. Combining them with the tree mics gets a quite blurry stereo image...

Aside from the Bacon, I've been thoroughly inspired by everything I'm hearing. I really want the library. But it's a question of want vs. need for me.
I already own all of the previous Albions (6). So I could get it relatively cheap. But then... I'm thinking of a hundred other things even cheaper that may not be as redundant as this. If I had the money, no question.
But I need to weight wants vs needs these days. Gotta stop the GAS.
Is it worth it even if I have all of the Albions?
I mean, only you can answer this but for me Neo was worth the price for the strings alone given the discount I got for owning the other Albions. I find the winds inspiring even given the very real problems they have and I’m a bit surprised by this as I had a rather indifferent feeling about them from the walkthrough. But they are generally very playable and though Tundra covers some of the same ground I found Tundra took much more work to get a similar effect to what you get easily in Neo. Of course the opposite is also true: the Tundra winds can do things that would be harder to achieve with Neo. The brass is so far disappointing but I was happily surprised by the harmonium, which though very rudimentary offers a most appealing sound, and I generally dislike the sound of the harmonium.

Last edited:
I think we'd be assuming that they're not doing anything else, and just discussing virtual instruments all day. Many people in this field work from home so can easily access the forums while they work. Getting immediate feedback about things sometimes helps with workflow.
This.

No lie. I often have VIC running in the background (or on my phone). It's a nice way to take breaks from composing. Plus, I'm a sample library nerd, so I find it enetertaining to discuss this stuff with my fellow nerds.

I understand that, I'm one of them, though if I want to get things done, I cannot hang out on this forum personally. Guess I'm grumpy today...

This.

No lie. I often have VIC running in the background (or on my phone). It's a nice way to take breaks from composing. Plus, I'm a sample library nerd, so I find it enetertaining to discuss this stuff with my fellow nerds.
Yes. Also walkthroughs only take you so far and there is a whole practical side to VIs that is not well documented and you learn from these sorts of discussions.

The problem with Albions is that when compared to OT MA 1 & 2 it would be great if there were additional ensemble patches of the ensemble sections inside the all in one Brass and Woodwind patches specifically. You have multiple Flutes making up the all in one Woodwind patch in Neo along with other WW VI so why not have a Flutes ensemble patch, a Saxophones ensemble patch and a Clarinets ensemble patch along with the one combo Woodwind patch?

I would definitely pay for this as an expansion to One. (Also I would definitely buy the Neo strings if they were available separately.)

I think around $240. I'm not sure because I actually used this opportunity to complete the bundle and I bought Uist as well.

sorry I think you misunderstood...I meant for all the Albions how much has it cost for all of them ?

I could be mistaken but I thought the whole point of the orchestral sections of the Albions was that they represented ensemble patches for people who want to get something down very quickly for media composition. They aren't meant for creating crafted realistic sounding orchestral compositions. That's what their other libraries with the individual instruments and multiple articulations are for.

This sketching character is arguably built into the Albion One concept ("Start scoring Films now") - fast first pass, broad brush strokes. And the nature of AO is that if you have SSO you can very often get significantly better results by replacing your AO sketches with fully orchestrated SSO lines. That is, the musical space covered by SSO is, with probably a few exceptions, capably of going anywhere AO, and in far greater detail.

But this is less true of Albion Two.

And not at all true of Albion V which genuinely has articulations that you just can't find in SSO or indeed anywhere else.

When it comes to Neo, the section sizes in Neo are very close to SCS. So it's an interesting question to what extent that Neo is to SCS as Albion One is SSS.

I suspect that for basic flautando, Neo and SCS are very directly contiguous. And this adjacency is, in my estimation, best though of not as a duplication, but as a valuable point of continuity that, in the first instance, gives the ability to sketch quickly in Neo, and then go into detail with SCS.

I see similar, and even more valuable continuities with Tundra. Especially if you crank up the ambient mics, mix the strings A & B and orchestrate your chords thickly. In fact I think everything I've heard so really hits the ambient connections with the Tundra ethos pretty hard - which is beautiful, and serves to hilight the continuity of Neo and Tundra as ambient & hybrid libraries well. Though at the cost of ignoring the other vast musical spaces Neo opens up.

There's also a certain continuity with other libraries like the Solo Strings. Emblematically, the "Whisper Trems" Vl articulation blends magnificently with Tundra, OACE, and well, just about anything else. But there are a lot of other solo string articulations here that can be layered amazingly well (See Oliver's video on the Spitfire Harp for an example of how he uses solo textures to great effect with SCS).

But most especially, I feel a real continuity with OACE. Most obviously in the feathered orchestration of the strings make this especially seamless.

But conversely, in working with Tundra and OACE, I've long felt various shades of angst. I can't count the moment I've been working with OACE, and just wishing I had something that would push the space of OACE a bit further.

This angst manifests with working from Tundra, for instance, when I want to keep the feel of the "Tundra-ness" but add finer brush strokes. SCS would be able to provide a certain type of brush stroke I suspect, but in my attempts to mix Tundra and SStS (which I actually have), I find that while the results are interesting in its their own right, it comes at the cost of breaking the Tundra-ness of the overall ethos.

And similarly with OACE (which I use as individual articulations and seldom as an underscore-esuqe evo), I want to keep the texturality of the OACE-ness, while moving subtly into a still very textural space, but again with finer brush stokes, yet without breaking the OACE-ness.

And in using OACE articulations as articulations (rather that underscore-esque evos) less is often more. That is, OACE textures can be even more effective when used sparingly. So the textural, but not crazy evo-grade texturality of Neo addresses this particular angst beautifully.

A lot of the discussion here is formed around "this is no different from Tundra" or "This is absolutely nothing like Tundra", which is interesting. And the DJ video where he implicitly argues that there's nothing new in Neo that he doesn't have in Loegria is another example of this "de-differenceing" mode of criticism.

But the real value here (to echo @jbuhler 's point above) is in both the continuity with spaces currently accessible (via Tundra OACE, SCS, TM, SSoS etc) and the new musical space that it opens up .

That is, it is both the capacity for sameness together and difference that makes Neo so interesting in its conception.

And here is where the whole becomes more than the sum of its parts.

When I listen to the orchestral music of real musicians, particularly after spending time working with samples, I'm always acutely aware of just how much expressive space is still completely beyond us.

Tundra was a revelation that woke me from (VSL-SE induced) dogmatic slumber to realize just how immensely limited we were in the space that previous generations of sample libraries allowed us to, and how much remains to be explored.

And the further opening of these spaces since Tundra is a joy to behold.

(Notwithstanding the separate and acute angst of Neo not being conceivably in my sample library budget any time soon)

Last edited:
Top Bottom